Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Default Looking for some people to pheasant hunt with

Hey everyone, so I'm still relatively new to alberta more specifically Leduc from Bc. I'm looking for someone to hunt waterfowl and upland with. I have 2 trained German shorthair pointers and I'd really like to get them into some birds this year. I'm more then willing to travel. If you'd like to head out, send me a message! Thanks!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:26 PM

Default Welocome

If you don't get any replys you can head out to one of the release sites and wait in the parking lot until some fellows with out a dog show up. You can work it out from there. I do it all the time.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:19 PM

What area of Alberta do you live in?
Old 09-23-2017, 04:07 PM

I am off hunting pronghorn until sometime next week, but I am at Daysland three times per week on average with my dog. I prefer to avoid the weekend madness,so I head out on weekdays.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
If you don't get any replys you can head out to one of the release sites and wait in the parking lot until some fellows with out a dog show up. You can work it out from there. I do it all the time.
There is no way I would let someone I just met in a parking lot shoot over my dogs.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
There is no way I would let someone I just met in a parking lot shoot over my dogs.
^This. But then I wouldn't let some random person from AO shoot over my dog either.

Best of luck, OP.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieStorm View Post
Hey everyone, so I'm still relatively new to alberta more specifically Leduc from Bc. I'm looking for someone to hunt waterfowl and upland with. I have 2 trained German shorthair pointers and I'd really like to get them into some birds this year. I'm more then willing to travel. If you'd like to head out, send me a message! Thanks!
Another 1st poster. Welcome to AO. Do your dogs also retrieve ducks from the water? I could take you out pheasant hunting sometime, but this is also a great year for Mallards, esp. if you have a dog.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
What area of Alberta do you live in?
Really?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Hunting with strangers

Believe it or not all of them have been AO members and knew who I was.

It has been a pleasure to meet them.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 AM

Was it the old man comment or the cares about his dog one? LMAO
Old 09-24-2017, 10:59 AM

Default old man comment

maybe it is a new term of endearment for our mod otherwise I find the term offensive from someone who should know better.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
^This. But then I wouldn't let some random person from AO shoot over my dog either.

Best of luck, OP.
Is that the usual etiquette at a public release site? Worrying about your precious dogs around people who've taken the same hunter's ed and firearms safety courses you have, not giving them the benefit of the doubt and being hostile towards a noob like this? All at a public place to boot where everybody should be welcomed?

No wonder noobs like me are perceived to have a bad attitude. Look at yours.

All we get is hostility from experienced hunters.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav_edge_308 View Post
Is that the usual etiquette at a public release site? Worrying about your precious dogs around people who've taken the same hunter's ed and firearms safety courses you have, not giving them the benefit of the doubt and being hostile towards a noob like this? All at a public place to boot where everybody should be welcomed?

Which chapter in your Hunters Ed course talked about bird hunting with dogs???...sorry..."precious " dogs
Old 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Which chapter in your Hunters Ed course talked about bird hunting with dogs???...sorry..."precious " dogs
You know exactly what I mean. We all took the same courses.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
You know exactly what I mean. We all took the same courses.
Yah, I do..it comes across loud and clear.......
Old 09-24-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:

My dog is family, so I don't automatically allow everyone to shoot over him. That being said, I have invited people to hunt with us that I haven't known long. It's all about the impression that I get from meeting the person, and seeing how he acts in the field. As far as hunting with a dog goes, some people do stupid things like shooting at a wounded bird that the dog is on his way to retrieve, because they get excited and forget about the dog. The PAL course, or hunter safety courses will not prevent that.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:

And you sir are exactly why I would never do it.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
And you sir are exactly why I would never do it.
Case in point right there. You're not a better person than I am just because you're a more experienced hunter than I am.

Get over yourself.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Case in point right there. You're not a better person than I am just because you're a more experienced hunter than I am.

Get over yourself.
It's not about experience, it's about trust and confidence that a person that you don't know will put the safety of my dog before his desire to kill a pheasant. And to be honest, the attitude displayed in your posts , and the "precious dog" comment make me doubt that I would want you shooting over my dog.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's not about experience, it's about trust and confidence that a person that you don't know will put the safety of my dog before his desire to kill a pheasant. And to be honest, the attitude displayed in your posts , and the "precious dog" comment make me doubt that I would want you shooting over my dog.
Regardless of my posts your feelings would be the same. So save it. I know how it works- if it's not one thing it's another. If there's one thing I've leared about the hunting/gun community vs. noobs thus far it is that the glass is half empty.

Guess what? My glass can be half empty too then.

I have no intention of backing down on my desire to learn to hunt, and I will do so legally, safely and respectfully and I will not ever sugar coat who I am and be some phony just to appease experienced hunters.

I'm very sorry to hear that there are actually people out there who are presented with a challenge when it comes to ensuring a dog's safety when there's firearms involved.

I'm not one of those people before this rant, nor am I now.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:

I'm a new hunter, and this is just plain stupid. If someone doesn't want to have someone they don't know shoot over their dog so be it. I don't blame him.

I'm not saying OP is like this but a lot of morons still pass the PAL and hunters safety...
Old 09-25-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Regardless of my posts your feelings would be the same. So save it. I know how it works- if it's not one thing it's another. If there's one thing I've leared about the hunting/gun community vs. noobs thus far it is that the glass is half empty.

Guess what? My glass can be half empty too then.

I have no intention of backing down on my desire to learn to hunt, and I will do so legally, safely and respectfully and I will not ever sugar coat who I am and be some phony just to appease experienced hunters.

I'm very sorry to hear that there are actually people out there who are presented with a challenge when it comes to ensuring a dog's safety when there's firearms involved.

I'm not one of those people before this rant, nor am I now.
Let me put this so perhaps you will understand. A finished dog is worth many thousands of dollars and hundreds of unpaid hours in investment. An animal is personal property like a truck, boat, ATV or any other livestock. There is no reason to lend out our personal property to just anyone and it is absolutely insane of you to think we are under some moral obligation to do so. Buy your own truck, get your own gear, find your own spots and hunt over your own dog. If someone is kind enough to help you along the way, be damn thankful and pass that good fortune on to another if given the opportunity in the future.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:13 AM

I'll take a stab at this for the guys who can't wrap their head around where some of these guys are coming from.

In my opinion a hunting partner is as hard as finding a spouse... maybe harder. I've gone hunting with many friends and family, once. I've gone hunting with very few people more then once. I've seen some dumb chit done with firearms and or a difference in values leads to incompatibility as hunting partners. If I'm hunting with a guy and the muzzle of his rifle swings past me the hunts over, if he gets back in my truck with a round in the rifle the hunts over etc.
Now we are talking about hunting over dogs. Very dynamic environment, birds, people and dogs moving. Some birds flush low, some pass between hunters, some dogs chase, the scenarios are endless. I don't even like being within sight of other people at a release sight because I don't trust them to not shoot at me. I certainly wouldn't expect them, without having ever proven themselves to shoot over my dog.
It's a simple risk assessment. Probability? Oh, medium to fairly high they're going to do something stupid. Consequence? Bad, if my dog takes a load of #5 shot it's critical. So, nope. Absolutely no reason to subject myself to that possible outcome.
He's my pup, my time and love went into raising and training him and I get to reap the rewards of hunting over him. There were many years I didn't want to put the work into a dog and I didn't have the luxury of hunting over one. Why should you be any different? That entitled attitude is what some of us are picking up on. Those are the type of people who are most likely to be an issue.
Hemingway said "the best way to find out if you can trust someone, is to trust them". That's probably right but when you've got guns in the equation there are no second chances and it's not the time or place to find out if someone wasn't trustworthy.
The fact there are guys willing to let people shoot over their dogs is interesting and I hope it never goes bad for them.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I'll take a stab at this for the guys who can't wrap their head around where some of these guys are coming from.

In my opinion a hunting partner is as hard as finding a spouse... maybe harder.
You got that right...

I generally dislike most people I meet and it's been exceptionally prevalent in the hunting community thus far... What makes you people so much better than me? I get dirty looks just gearing up on the Forestry Trunk Road all weekend, like come say hi if you don't like something...

It's clear that most of you don't remember what it was like when you were a noob.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:42 AM
Banned

Another pheasant/hunting thread going sideways because of made up assumptions and hypotheticals. Some people have to argue about everything.
IBTL
Old 09-25-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
You got that right...

I generally dislike most people I meet and it's been exceptionally prevalent in the hunting community thus far... What makes you people so much better than me? I get dirty looks just gearing up on the Forestry Trunk Road all weekend, like come say hi if you don't like something...

It's clear that most of you don't remember what it was like when you were a noob.
There are instances every year if dogs going on point and someone shooting the bird that is not connected to the person or people hunting over that dog.
There are also instances every year of dogs being shot by others .
These instances are not always involving new hunters either .
As far as a person's attitude towards others goes , it is generally reflected in kind .
Cat
Old 09-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You got that right...

Possibly it's the finger your waving at them as they drive by, just a suspicion.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Possibly it's the finger your waving at them as they drive by, just a suspicion.

Yeahhh, well I gotta say, believe it or not, I don't flip people off at the wheel, matter of fact if I was in a situation where one would flip someone off, I prefer to give a thumbs up and smile.

White GMC 3500, probably gonna be up there most Sundays. No flipping anyone off.

Maybe I initially dislike people due to feeling apprehensive as well? Who knows?

Last edited by sav_edge_308; 09-25-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Another pheasant/hunting thread going sideways because of made up assumptions and hypotheticals. Some people have to argue about everything.
IBTL
No kidding.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
You got that right...

Your post history so far tells a lot about you. People tried to give you advice in your other thread and in turn you were **** in your responses back to them.

You want to find a hunting partner and help on this site? Better change your snotty attitude.