Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 02:34 PM

Default Best knife for skinning deer?

Looking to buy a new skinning knife. Any recomendiations on what's the best knife out there for field dressing and skinning game for a reasonable price.
Looking at the buck 110 folding knife but open to any kind of knife.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:40 PM
Banned

Hard to go wrong with Buck. My favorite knife is from CRKT, the Shenanigan. I a am moving away from Folders though. I have a Puma that I’m really starting to like and I like my Grohman as well. Lots of different options. Find one that fits comfortable in your hand and go.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:40 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhunter1234 View Post
... Looking at the buck 110 folding knife but open to any kind of knife.
The sky is pretty much the limit when it comes to hunting knives, and you will get a whole world of different recommendations in that regard I do believe!

That said, there is nothing wrong with using the Buck you noted.
Been packing one (now two) for everything over 40 years...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Almost any knife can do the job, as long as its sharp (and you sharpen as you go)!

That being said, there are a few ways you can go about it. If you have the ability to carry a kit, I like the Outdoor Edge processing kits, gives you a couple different knives for different tasks, a rib spreader, saw, and sharpener. Pretty much everything you need.

If you are looking for a single knife solution, I like many of the more affordable options from Kershaw. The Elk skinner with the gut hook is a good budget option, or the antelope hunter.

For folders, the Buck 110 is a solid choice, I really like the Buck Bantam, good steel and very light weight. Just don't get a camo patterned handle, just going to make it harder to find when you set it down in the grass.

If you're willing to spend up for something nicer, check out Steel Will's Gekko series. They come in fixed blade or folder, and they are amazing knives.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Banned

Love my puma skinner also have a buck knife as well
Old 09-20-2017, 03:13 PM

I have used many and still come back to buck knifes I do like tge gerbera drop knife 154cm but it's only good for a animal .
I had a nice puma white hunter but it grew legs and walked of
this year I'm trying an outdoor
Edge swingblade hunting knife I picked up in the states from Gander Mountain before they closed cheap .
not sure what your budget is buck knives are pretty cheap they can go a long waysbut it all comes down to personal choice good luck
Old 09-20-2017, 03:14 PM

i use a 3 blade folding browning that has a saw / gut hook skinner and a reg blade ... bades are 4.5" long approx and all fold into the handle ... on my 2nd one and I have done moose / elk / deer / antelope with nothing else one still be using the 1st one but left it on the running board once and could never find it again
Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM

I like the Swing blaze made by Outdoors Edge.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:19 PM

For skinning and skinning only believe it or not I like an olfa knife. For everything else my Buck 110.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:53 PM

Default Best knife for skinning deer?

Picked up a Grohmann #103 Short Skinner last week. I like the feel of the handle, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Banned

Not the Grohman I have but make sure you carry a sharpener of some kind on you. You can get them sharp but they don’t stay sharp. That being said, it’s still one of my favorite knives to use.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:29 PM

I've used the Gerber Vital and Hand saw only for my last 4 animals, the last of which was an Elk. I love not ever having to sharpen the knife, just take the dull blade off and replace it! I can get an animal gutted & quartered with just these 2 tools and they both work incredibly well. I went through 3 blades on my Elk this year and I could have got it done with just 2 if I wasn't so picky! Can't say enough good things about them

Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Banned

I have a used a few different knives but the one that stood out was the sharp one.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
For skinning and skinning only believe it or not I like an olfa knife. For everything else my Buck 110.

i use the smaller one and i always have pack of blades in my glove box . cuts like butter .
Old 09-20-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Not the Grohman I have but make sure you carry a sharpener of some kind on you. You can get them sharp but they don’t stay sharp. That being said, it’s still one of my favorite knives to use.
Mine will quarter a moose or elk, or dress and skin a couple deer, and still be usably sharp. It requires very little work to get back to shaving sharp afterwards.

I like the Grohman #1 the best ( the knife sitting on the hind quarter in Iron Noggin's pic) I don't feel that there is any knife in its price range that can beat it. If you want a folder the Buck 110 is great, I like the smaller 112 a little better though.

Honestly though, a good old Mora knife is all you really need, and you can spend many times the price of a Mora and still end up with a worse knife.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

I am going to try that. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:33 PM

For deer and sheep. I use a pearing knife. Light and sharp. Don't care if I loose it
Old 09-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
i use a 3 blade folding browning that has a saw / gut hook skinner and a reg blade ... bades are 4.5" long approx and all fold into the handle ... on my 2nd one and I have done moose / elk / deer / antelope with nothing else one still be using the 1st one but left it on the running board once and could never find it again
Above for general gutting etc but a havalon for skinning . The 2 make a great combo. I as well have used a Browning 3 blade since the early 80s and was given a havalon as a gift and it is far superior for skinning
Old 09-20-2017, 06:03 PM

Besides my customs, Grohman knives are my favourite
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Find one that feels good in your hand. I've got a few that I carry with me all the time and always fall back to a couple.. One is folding Outdoor Edge that rides on my belt and I use it to cut the scent glands out on deer. The second one is a CRKT fixed blade. I don't recall the name as it is quite a few years old.. It holds the edge and I use that for most field dressing. Then I got a Havalon (folding) and an Outdoor Edge (folding) disposable blade knives a couple of years ago. I'm still getting used to them but would lean towards the outdoor edge as the blades are a bit firmer and easier to change. Have an SOG folding saw, with a blade on the other half. I mainly use that one for the saw to split the briskets and pelvis on the animal.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 PM

I've been looking at some Benchmade knives. But I've got a 110, and it'll definitely do what you need. Go to a shop and hold a few. See what feels comfortable in your hands.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:57 PM

110 is the second knife that I purchased. My first knife fixed blade Gerber gator had a serration which I disliked after the first use. Several years later, I bought a belt sander and removed the serration, it is now my favorite knife for the field dressing. I had a trouble getting used to the clip point design of 110, in my opinion, any knife is bob loveless drop point design is WTG. Every year I buy a knife or two. Last year I bought Victorinox Skinning knife - I plan to use this season.

Out of all knives (close to 15 I think) 110 always stays in the drawer.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Buy yourself a Dozier, Crotts or Ingram and you'll have a knife that'll make you proud every time you use it. Unless you don't know what your doing they'll easily handle a half a doz (plus) animals from field to freezer before losing their shaving edge. You won't have to carry a stone or second knife and you'll be able to hand it down to your son one day.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:30 PM

Buck 110 with SV30 steel is hard to beat as an all round hunting and utility knife. There is a very good reason hundreds of thousands of them have been sold. I have carried one for 40 years, carried buck full length blades before that, and despite having MANY MANY other knives with me most times, it is the one that gets far and away the most use.

My two hunting partners are exactly the same and both of them also have some really high end custom knives, but their 110s do most of the work, unless we are actually cutting up meat for packaging.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Buck 110 with SV30 steel is hard to beat as an all round hunting and utility knife. There is a very good reason hundreds of thousands of them have been sold. I have carried one for 40 years, carried buck full length blades before that, and despite having MANY MANY other knives with me most times, it is the one that gets far and away the most use.

My two hunting partners are exactly the same and both of them also have some really high end custom knives, but their 110s do most of the work, unless we are actually cutting up meat for packaging.
IMO the 420 HC that buck currently uses is a pretty good steel. After dressing and skinning a deer or two my 110 or 112 need only a minor touch up to bring them back to shaving sharp. I think that for most hunting that's as hard as a steel needs to be, a few swipes on the steel between animals is pretty minimal upkeep.

I have used my 110 to quarter a moose once, and I did need to re-sharpen during the operation. I could see the SV30 being a better blade if you're going to do this kind of thing regularly. For that reason I prefer my Grohman or an old carbon steel Western knife that I inherited from my grandfather. Both these knives are easy to sharpen with basic tools and will quarter a big animal without needing a touch up.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 AM

Havalon for any game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Banned

A knife is a knife is a knife. Max 4" blade and keep it sharp, don't let the marketing get you.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav_edge_308 View Post
A knife is a knife is a knife. Max 4" blade and keep it sharp, don't let the marketing get you.
Exactly!!!!!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Couldn't get much further from the truth. Maybe you aren't capable of noticing a difference... doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
NOT true. A buck 110 only costs $50 on sale. It is true that you can spend $300 and not get a blade 6x better, but if you only spend $20 on a knockoff you are going to get a knife 500x worse.

There is a minimum quality of blade needed to make a reliable hunting knife that will last and do its job properly, and there are a whole raft of choices for 50- $100..