Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2017, 05:40 PM
bronze bronze is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
Default Grizzly Relocated to Kakwa

Just a little heads up to people who travel in the bush south of GP.
First time with a link hope it works.

https://www.canmorecommons.com/new-b...eral-incidents
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-03-2017, 06:12 AM
st99 st99 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,212
Default

just like if we didn't have enough trouble makers around here
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Camdec Camdec is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
just like if we didn't have enough trouble makers around here
Lol. That made me laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Grizzly Adams Grizzly Adams is offline
Suspended User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 16,273
Default

Gotta wonder how long before she makes it back to her old haunts ? Betting weeks.

Grizz
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Big Grey Wolf Big Grey Wolf is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,698
Default

Kakwa over run with grizz now, does not make any sense to add to the problem. Why do they not move them to Swanhills as they are trying to rebuild the grizz in that area.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Grizzly Adams Grizzly Adams is offline
Suspended User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 16,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Kakwa over run with grizz now, does not make any sense to add to the problem. Why do they not move them to Swanhills as they are trying to rebuild the grizz in that area.
Think they are desperately trying not to do the obvious and terminate the old gal with extreme prejudice. Popular fixture around Banff and the outcry by the "environmental" crowd would be deafening. Had one of their poor abused bears wander to Sundre, where it met it's demise. Very big deal in Banff and Canmore.

Grizz
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2017, 02:23 PM
jawa jawa is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Kakwa over run with grizz now, does not make any sense to add to the problem. Why do they not move them to Swanhills as they are trying to rebuild the grizz in that area.
lots of griz in that area already plus too many towns, campsites, gasplants, people working, etc all within a couple days walking for a bear. If you want a problem bear to have any chance of recovery have to remove it as far from people as possible. It was tried in the seventies didnt work then cant see it working now
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Grizzly Adams Grizzly Adams is offline
Suspended User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 16,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
lots of griz in that area already plus too many towns, campsites, gasplants, people working, etc all within a couple days walking for a bear. If you want a problem bear to have any chance of recovery have to remove it as far from people as possible. It was tried in the seventies didnt work then cant see it working now
So, I guess the question is, couldn't someone hold Parks Canada liable for any injuries or death caused by mama bear ? A bear, well known to be dangerous, relocated where it may encounter people, unfamiliar with it's past.

Grizz
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 PM
skidderman skidderman is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spruce Grove, AB
Posts: 2,203
Default

My bet is that it will become a problem again. Hopefully no one gets hurt.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Oldan Grumpi Oldan Grumpi is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 16
Default

...and to think they used to haul them from the Kakwa up into the Chinchaga...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Torkdiesel's Avatar
Torkdiesel Torkdiesel is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North of the Kakwa
Posts: 3,213
Default

I don't know why they don't haul them into BC. Bring all those problem bears up to my area and they'll either learn to live on their own, or end up as a rug on somebody's floor
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 AM
kingrat kingrat is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: prince albert
Posts: 630
Default

Ya i can see the headline now tork... Rich american hunter murders cecil the lions 4th cousin Sally the endangered grizzly.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Torkdiesel's Avatar
Torkdiesel Torkdiesel is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North of the Kakwa
Posts: 3,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Ya i can see the headline now tork... Rich american hunter murders cecil the lions 4th cousin Sally the endangered grizzly.
lmfao !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Big Grey Wolf Big Grey Wolf is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,698
Default

I like Torks solution for problem grizz. Simple, low cost and effective! Probably is a BC grizz anyway, never met a bear that had a gps and marked provincial borders.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-08-2017, 02:05 PM
RavYak's Avatar
RavYak RavYak is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Edmonton
Posts: 4,132
Default

I guess I see this differently then most.

If there was a bear I would want to run into this would be the one. A well documented history of fake charges within feet and no actual attacks yet. I pray that is what happens when I have my first grizzly encounter in the wild and I am not even religious lol.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-08-2017, 03:44 PM
st99 st99 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I guess I see this differently then most.

If there was a bear I would want to run into this would be the one. A well documented history of fake charges within feet and no actual attacks yet. I pray that is what happens when I have my first grizzly encounter in the wild and I am not even religious lol.
I think the opposite. I have 10+ grizzly encounter per year, 16 so far for 2017, and they always run away when they see, hear or smell me. But miss 148 is used to people, therefore more willing to come close and take a chance.

What will probably happen is, she will get too close to some hunters, they will shoot her, and hunters will take a bad rap. It will be all over the news, and they will ignore f&w poor decision.

All it took for the official to change the policy was 5000 signatures in a petition. Last I checked, 5000 is no where near the majority of citizen of this province.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-08-2017, 06:09 PM
farmerbrown farmerbrown is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I like Torks solution for problem grizz. Simple, low cost and effective! Probably is a BC grizz anyway, never met a bear that had a gps and marked provincial borders.
Looks like that BC area needs some planted grizzly's. Good place for relocation.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 PM
Torkdiesel's Avatar
Torkdiesel Torkdiesel is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North of the Kakwa
Posts: 3,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbrown View Post
Looks like that BC area needs some planted grizzly's. Good place for relocation.
I'll take them in either of my areas. I have plenty already but a few more won't hurt anything. I've got plenty of quota for them.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-14-2017, 03:16 PM
209x50's Avatar
209x50 209x50 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,249
Default

Not anymore - BC just closed G bear hunting!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2017, 03:29 PM
kw12 kw12 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 203
Default

Yup just seen that. Nov 2017 no more.
__________________
"Not all who wander are lost"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-14-2017, 04:00 PM
farmerbrown farmerbrown is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I'll take them in either of my areas. I have plenty already but a few more won't hurt anything. I've got plenty of quota for them.
Not anymore I guess. Looks like you will be taking a chit-kicking in area value and revenue. Is their going to be any compensation by the Greenies? I would imagine the BC Outfitters Assoc. will spring into action shortly.

Not nice but really no big suprise from the governing Party.

Last edited by farmerbrown; 08-14-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-15-2017, 11:32 PM
Torkdiesel's Avatar
Torkdiesel Torkdiesel is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North of the Kakwa
Posts: 3,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Not anymore - BC just closed G bear hunting!
Yep. Very exciting times. We'll still kill them when we have to if the meat kept/ no hide rule comes into play. Just skin them and throw the hide on the ground I guess. It's a shame but I'm still going to take care of problem bears here.

Until they ban it outright anyway
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-15-2017, 11:34 PM
Torkdiesel's Avatar
Torkdiesel Torkdiesel is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North of the Kakwa
Posts: 3,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbrown View Post
Not anymore I guess. Looks like you will be taking a chit-kicking in area value and revenue. Is their going to be any compensation by the Greenies? I would imagine the BC Outfitters Assoc. will spring into action shortly.

Not nice but really no big suprise from the governing Party.
Yep. Areas aren't worth much anymore. That lost 1-2% of the revenue stream from grizzly hunts is going to knock values right into the toilet.
Not sure how I'll make ends meet now.

Compensation is not likely
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-16-2017, 06:50 AM
farmerbrown farmerbrown is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Yep. Areas aren't worth much anymore. That lost 1-2% of the revenue stream from grizzly hunts is going to knock values right into the toilet.
Not sure how I'll make ends meet now.

Compensation is not likely

Interesting math. I guess there won't be any push back from the outfitters if that's all the impact it generates.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Torkdiesel's Avatar
Torkdiesel Torkdiesel is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North of the Kakwa
Posts: 3,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerbrown View Post
Interesting math. I guess there won't be any push back from the outfitters if that's all the impact it generates.
Some it will for sure. Some guys on the coast it will greatly effect. I'm in the moose and caribou game, but then again you already knew that martin.

Got to run, big auction today on used vehicles!!!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM
nube's Avatar
nube nube is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a house
Posts: 7,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Some it will for sure. Some guys on the coast it will greatly effect. I'm in the moose and caribou game, but then again you already knew that martin.

Got to run, big auction today on used vehicles!!!
haha you had him pegged right out of the start like I did. Figured it wouldn't take long for him to come back.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-16-2017, 03:41 PM
farmerbrown farmerbrown is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Some it will for sure. Some guys on the coast it will greatly effect. I'm in the moose and caribou game, but then again you already knew that martin.

Got to run, big auction today on used vehicles!!!
Say in the last four or five years if someone just valued Grizz allocations per bear what would they be worth? I know there is a limitation on so many in so many years but I would think they would be worth a fair bit.

I'm suprised there would not be some kind of compensation. More tags of other species or?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-16-2017, 03:43 PM
farmerbrown farmerbrown is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
haha you had him pegged right out of the start like I did. Figured it wouldn't take long for him to come back.
Pardon?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Grizzly Adams Grizzly Adams is offline
Suspended User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 16,273
Default

I keep waiting for the bears obituary to appear. It's coming, just a matter of time.

Grizz
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 PM
7mmremmag 7mmremmag is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lloydminster
Posts: 1,331
Default

First off Jeff, Im totally on your side. I think this is BS and an absolutely sustainable hunt.
But I think your numbers of 1-2% of revenue are way off.
Even if you ran a good area and hunted one grizz a year at say 18K a hunt youd need to gross well over 1.8 million a year to only lose 1-2% revenue.
Thats ludacris.
If you can confirm those numbers to be true tell Harry McCowan to look out, ill be putting an offer in on everything he has listed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.