Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

Default Got my moose draw

Season doesn't open until September, just wondering how long before season do you guys start practicing? I could get 2" groups pretty consistently last fall.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned

I've shot my reign probably 1500-2000 times I practice daily so I keep form good, dad could pick his bow up August 24th and out shoot me any day for not shooting for a year 😬
Old 07-31-2017, 09:18 PM

I've been shooting at least 20-30 arrows a day for the last couple weeks. Will continue to do so until the opener. Unfortunately a busy summer helped the bow collect a lot of dust this year.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 PM

Start? I never stop

LC
Old 07-31-2017, 09:24 PM

Default meh

3 shot group the night before and call it good. just field points. Take your broad heads out of the package when you get to your spot. Just grease up the leatherman so it don't squeak much when you cut em open. JOKES!!!!

seriously, congrats on the moose draw. practice till your confident. what's wrong with trying for 1 inch groups.

Here's a good hunting drill... I get my son to stand a few yards behind me and pick a number between 20 and 50. He counts in his head from the moment I get to full draw. When he gets to the number he says 'Now' and I let fly. practice holding your draw and just breathing through it.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
3 shot group the night before and call it good. just field points. Take your broad heads out of the package when you get to your spot. Just grease up the leatherman so it don't squeak much when you cut em open. JOKES!!!!

seriously, congrats on the moose draw. practice till your confident. what's wrong with trying for 1 inch groups.

Here's a good hunting drill... I get my son to stand a few yards behind me and pick a number between 20 and 50. He counts in his head from the moment I get to full draw. When he gets to the number he says 'Now' and I let fly. practice holding your draw and just breathing through it.
Take the broad heads out of the package????

They're still rusted onto my arrows from last year!

I'm kidding. Although I still bow hunt every year, I always looked forward to moose hunting. Since it went to draw only about 3yrs ago I've noticed that my interest in archery has somewhat declined. I normally start practicing just after the snow melts in the spring but I haven't made any effort to get out practicing yet this year, which is a first for me.

I'm hoping I get the itch soon because I've finally got a moose tag and the season is just around the corner. Maybe if I get the video camera out it will inspire me to take a few long bombs and rekindle the passion.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Start? I never stop

LC

Have to say this is how I have been since I got my Reign. I enjoy it so much so it doesn't matter if I am shooting at 8 yards or 80 yards, I shoot.

Shoot until you are confident and be honest with yourself.

Morb
Old 07-31-2017, 11:15 PM

I've been doing about 4-6 hrs of shooting a week. I got some catching up to do but I feel like I got a good start. I feel confident hitting a target to 60 yards 9 times out of ten that would easily be in vitals. That is with Field points. My next step is to get broadheads to fly the same and then practice sitting , standing, kneeling, upside down both uphill and downhill till it's time to kill a sheep and I hope to heck all the practice will pay off when the time comes.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Start? I never stop

LC
^^^ Simple, to the point, accurate advise right there.

While I don't shoot as much from December - May, I never stop. Never stop thinking about shooting and my form either. My mental checklist is now refined down to about 1.5 seconds while my bow arm is coming up (relax bow hand, hit anchor point, quick check on torque, slight exhale, light finger pressure, aim aim aim aim..... there it goes!)

From May to September, I'm remembering smaller things like how wind / grass will affect flight and how to quickly guess yardages without using the rangefinder. And just about all of August is dedicated to practicing with BH.

Nice post LC! Pretty simple.

J.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:38 AM

And play some rounds of golf, too!

I tell myself that it helps with figuring out real-world yardages in the field.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 AM

May have posted this in the past don't remember, thought it may help for some
out there. I've been using these 2 old HD foam targets to broadhead tune for the last 15
years or so. I'm shooting at 60lbs 28.5 dl with beamen 400s total arrow weight about 400 grains.
I used to 70lbs and these foam targets weren't
up so bad back then and they worked just as well.

I believe it's the spacing of the targets that really helps stop the broadheads.
The best part is the fact you get enough penetration to unscrew the head to
remove the arrow and don't have to pull the bh back out the front. :-)

Last pic was a couple warm up shots, been busy working on the shed.
All shots were from 20 yards.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 AM

I practice as much as I possibly can. Which is not near enough. When you work out of town for two weeks at a time, it doesn't leave much time to practice on your week off. I try to get out shooting at least once, every time I'm home. When I used to work in town, I was practicing once or twice a week. If I had my own piece of land, and it wasn't such a long drive to get to a range, I'd shoot every day I'm home, at least for a half hour or so. Can't convince the wife to let me shoot in the basement, or I would just work on form and muscle memory, and follow through in my basement.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
I practice as much as I possibly can. Which is not near enough. When you work out of town for two weeks at a time, it doesn't leave much time to practice on your week off. I try to get out shooting at least once, every time I'm home. When I used to work in town, I was practicing once or twice a week. If I had my own piece of land, and it wasn't such a long drive to get to a range, I'd shoot every day I'm home, at least for a half hour or so. Can't convince the wife to let me shoot in the basement, or I would just work on form and muscle memory, and follow through in my basement.

Perks of the wife being a nurse: I have lots of time to shoot in the basement when she's not around lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Banned

I don't practice nearly enough, especially compared to most archers standards, but I do believe it's a lot like riding a bike. I have never shot year round, it's always been a few rounds in the spring, a few more in June/July, then quite often from August through October, then the bow goes in the closet.

I've cut back in recent years because of a couple torn rotator cuffs and some tennis elbow. I don't want to risk injury and have to sit out an archery season, so I don't shoot as much. I'll keep track of my progress this year to see how much accuracy is lost and gained. I'm guessing after about 2 weeks of practice I should have my ring rust wore off and be back to my personal peak accuracy.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
Perks of the wife being a nurse: I have lots of time to shoot in the basement when she's not around lol

Hahaha! That would never work for me, because my kids would rat me out!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:

She knows I do it. No kids yet but I think the foot will come down once the baby arrives lol

Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I don't practice nearly enough, especially compared to most archers standards, but I do believe it's a lot like riding a bike. I have never shot year round, it's always been a few rounds in the spring, a few more in June/July, then quite often from August through October, then the bow goes in the closet.

I've cut back in recent years because of a couple torn rotator cuffs and some tennis elbow. I don't want to risk injury and have to sit out an archery season, so I don't shoot as much. I'll keep track of my progress this year to see how much accuracy is lost and gained. I'm guessing after about 2 weeks of practice I should have my ring rust wore off and be back to my personal peak accuracy.
I find the only things that suffer when I go long periods without shooting is my ability to hold at full draw, and my accuracy at longer ranges. If you have been shooting for a long time, then yeah, it can be similar to riding a bike. The one that bothers me, is when newbies that have never shot a bow, pick one up in August, shoot it 20 times, and head out hunting in September.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
She knows I do it. No kids yet but I think the foot will come down once the baby arrives lol

Lots of things will change after the baby arrives.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Heh! In my case my kids do all the shooting and I stand by and supervise/tweak their bows.

IncrediGirl did get me a gift cert to JimBows for a family outing at the range, though...
Old 08-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Season doesn't open until September, just wondering how long before season do you guys start practicing? I could get 2" groups pretty consistently last fall.
Can't help you. But I just want to say congradulations and best of luck.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
And play some rounds of golf, too!

I tell myself that it helps with figuring out real-world yardages in the field.

I don't golf so when I'm hiking, sitting on a trail or in a stand I like to guess random trees yardage and range it see how close I get. My dad has had me doing that since I first walked into the woods. Was a fun little game when I was young and still helps me get within 1-2 yards now.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I don't golf so when I'm hiking, sitting on a trail or in a stand I like to guess random trees yardage and range it see how close I get. My dad has had me doing that since I first walked into the woods. Was a fun little game when I was young and still helps me get within 1-2 yards now.

That's really cool!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Bull Moose Draw

I got drawn for Bull Moose zone 242
Havn't shot the bow for 2 years...wiped it down today and waxed the string.
Pulled my styrofoam target out of the bushes and did some 20 and 40 yard shooting without missing a beat ...like riding a bicycle !

Took it out late this evening in low light - no problem.

My styrofoam target is shot out ...will be shopping for a replacement.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:45 AM
Banned

Default Still got it

First morning shooting my bow since October and I can still shoot 2" groups at 40yds.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:09 PM

Nice shooting. Is that the def con?
I wish I was out scouting there this weekend
Old 08-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Nice shooting. Is that the def con?
I wish I was out scouting there this weekend
Ya it is. What a beautiful day out here today. I'll be out scouting for Mulies this evening.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Banned

Went to Jimbows today to pick up a sight for my sons new bow and shot a few rounds. First round was 279, second was 282, and 3rd was 288 with around a dozen X's per round. Hopefully I'll be 295+ With 15-20X's by September 1st.

Took a few shots with Carsons Reign 7, what a sweet rig that is! Might have to scrape up some money for one of those.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Went to Jimbows today to pick up a sight for my sons new bow and shot a few rounds. First round was 279, second was 282, and 3rd was 288 with around a dozen X's per round. Hopefully I'll be 295+ With 15-20X's by September 1st.

Took a few shots with Carsons Reign 7, what a sweet rig that is! Might have to scrape up some money for one of those.
Reign 7 is a sweet rig for sure, it replaced my Invasion.

LC
Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Reign 7 is a sweet rig for sure, it replaced my Invasion.

LC
Didn't you have a BTX-28 as well? Or do you still have that? I loved my RPM 360 but it was a bit heavy for elk hunting. I think the Reign would be just right.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Didn't you have a BTX-28 as well? Or do you still have that? I loved my RPM 360 but it was a bit heavy for elk hunting. I think the Reign would be just right.
No never had a BT-X, held off till the Reign was released.

LC