Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 03:32 PM

Default Avoiding deep hooking with crankbaits

My question is, what can be done to avoid hooking pike deep with Crankbaits?

I know about sometimes needing to cut the hooks rather than digging around in their throats. Is there a trick to setting the hook or are they just bad for getting swallowed up like this? I like using them because I'm a fair weather fisherman that only goes a couple times a year and usually spur of the moment while camping and they are convenient to keep in the camper and work well.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:54 PM

Remove all the hooks from the crankbait but one in the middle of the body. All mine are like that, I have not noticed an appreciable difference in hookups.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Adding to what PG says, pinch or file off your barbs as well. The majority of hook removal trauma seems to come from wrestling a barbed hook out.

A good set of spreaders also helps ensure that you can get the hook out cleanly.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-26-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Remove all the hooks from the crankbait but one in the middle of the body. All mine are like that, I have not noticed an appreciable difference in hookups.

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Adding to what PG says, pinch or file off your barbs as well. The majority of hook removal trauma seems to come from wrestling a barbed hook out.

A good set of spreaders also helps ensure that you can get the hook out cleanly.

SS
Thanks, I do pinch my barbs, you only have to catch yourself once before you realize how much easier barbless is to get out! Also I'll get a spreader.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Thanks, I do pinch my barbs, you only have to catch yourself once before you realize how much easier barbless is to get out!
Or have your kids catch you on their backcast while they are learning. Ask me how I know that one...

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-26-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Oh and add a split ring to the remaining hook. So it goes lure body, split ring, split ring and then hook. That way there is less of a chance of the lure acting as a fulcrum to twist the hook out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-26-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Oh and add a split ring to the remaining hook. So it goes lure body, split ring, split ring and then hook. That way there is less of a chance of the lure acting as a fulcrum to twist the hook out.
Ok thanks
Old 07-27-2017, 09:05 AM

I've had a little experience fishing some BC lakes where only single hooks are allowed. I wonder if changing the treble hooks over to singles would help. That way you would only have to pull one barb out. Not two or three.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Default sydney calle

I simply use bigger crankbaits. Its rare for me to have to remove a throated hook. Plus you have the added chance to catch bigger fish and most of the little guys still hit the lure despite the larger size.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've had a little experience fishing some BC lakes where only single hooks are allowed. I wonder if changing the treble hooks over to singles would help. That way you would only have to pull one barb out. Not two or three.
I do that when fishing minnows under bobbers, then it is far easier to remove a single hook than a treble. Not sure if it would work for crankbaits because you'd really have to get the single hook to be facing outward and not flatten up against the lure during the retrieve.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Or have your kids catch you on their backcast while they are learning. Ask me how I know that one...

SS
Ouch! I have visions of the movie Something About Mary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PcxtcrI9_U

1:57 mark...
Old 07-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
I simply use bigger crankbaits. Its rare for me to have to remove a throated hook. Plus you have the added chance to catch bigger fish and most of the little guys still hit the lure despite the larger size.
Thanks I'll give that a try too.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 PM

So if a person is to have one trebble hook the one in the middle is the one to keep. I was going to leave the back one but I will now try the middle.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
So if a person is to have one trebble hook the one in the middle is the one to keep. I was going to leave the back one but I will now try the middle.
I was going to pull the back one and keep the middle one because I figured the back one is probably more likely to end up in the throat or gills.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
My question is, what can be done to avoid hooking pike deep with Crankbaits?

I know about sometimes needing to cut the hooks rather than digging around in their throats. Is there a trick to setting the hook or are they just bad for getting swallowed up like this? I like using them because I'm a fair weather fisherman that only goes a couple times a year and usually spur of the moment while camping and they are convenient to keep in the camper and work well.
For what it's worth the research says larger lures with more treble hooks the better. This increases the chance of hooking in the lips and not going deep.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I just came home from Shuswap where the rule is single barbless.

Normally, that would render all crankbaits useless - but I experimented with going to a single barbless in the middle of the body (removed the tail hook) and also tried removing body hook and putting on single barbless at the tail.

The action changed despite my effort to keep (try and match) the weight of the smaller treble against the weight of a larger barbless but it does work.

It's not ideal for the intended action - but you still get a wobble/vibration albeit at a slightly different frequency and range of motion.

Unhooking and releases were a snap.

Many of my crank-baits already have singles versus trebles (either by snipping off a point or two or remove/replace) but usually you replace both (or all three) hooks not just one (most crank baits having 2 or 3 hooks) to keep it balanced.

If you replace weight for weight and hook for hook trebles to singles - there is no problem. I also have not seen a decline in strikes to hookup ratio. I might even say that the singles seem to marginally hold the fish on better.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
For what it's worth the research says larger lures with more treble hooks the better. This increases the chance of hooking in the lips and not going deep.
Interesting - do you have a copy?

I get the fact a larger lure won't slide in as far back or into the throat - yeah, that makes sense, but when the lure is already in there a treble sucks. That's my experience anyways. Maybe the added size of the treble prevents it from falling in too deep? I could sort of see that maybe.

Trebles seem to be the big no-no in hooking mortality versus the single. At least that's what I have read over the years.

BC/Oregon/Washington regulations biologists and scientists seem to think so too and have adopted single hook (or single hook barbless) in watersheds were hooking mortality is perceived to be an issue.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:22 PM

Must haves: Set of fishing pliers (Shimano etc), Jaw spreaders, de-barbed hooks, some aptitude at taking hooks out/holding fish.

The pliers are nice to have for deep hooked fish, they can reach as far as you need to go, standard needle nose are not always good for big pike. Jaw spreaders are key, make sure to get a strong coil with the ends of the spreaders pointing outward, as to stick inside the upper and lower mouth of the pike and not slip out. De-barb your hooks and practice your dentistry. Just remember to pull the hook out the same way it went it, don't rip and twist and pull, thats for bums who dont care if the fish lives after.

Some big pike have pretty powerful mouths, you may need someone to hold the arms of the jaw spreaders open while you take the hook out. This helps with confidence to ensure you have the best view possible at where that hook is at. Practice makes perfect.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:43 PM

Thanks there is some good tips her.