Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-10-2017, 10:45 AM

Default Father and Sons trip of a lifetime

Hi Everyone
I am brand new to this forum. I am actually a resident of Ontario and a solid member of many forums in the north and south. I am seeking a bit of help and feedback. My father, brothers and myself are embarking upon an Alberta road trip as we make our way North to the Yukon. We are avid anglers and outdoors men. Our family has had some very tough events in the past year so I am hoping to make this trip an experience to remember. Our trip begins in Edmonton. We will be travelling by pick-up and small trailer. We will also be bringing our spin cast, float and fly gear and have a canoe. We are in the process of securing licenses and park permits. We have also familiarized ourselves as best as possible with all regs., rules and dates. The trip starts July 4th and we are looking at 3 weeks in total start to finish. I am in no way asking for personal fishing hot spots (mine are sacred to me as well). I am looking for route suggestions and decent rivers or lakes worth stopping by to wet a line. Also any points of interest for hiking, paddling or viewing. Your help is greatly appreciated. I am a true conservationist at heart, and promise not to let my Ontario boots muddy up your western waters!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Welcome to the forum rufus. Sounds like you have a well planned out trip lined up. I wish you all the best. But its not an area I am familiar with, so I have no advice, good or bad. But in time I'm sure some knowledgeable people will chime in and assist you in your plans.
Enjoy your trip and post some pics for us.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM

The good news is, generally, the farther north you go the better the fishing experiences are. Less crowds too.

I haven't had the pleasure of going north like you're describing, but I'm sure it will be a great trip for you folks.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM

Default Route to the Yukon (Pic Heavy)

Welcome Rufus, like the previous post said the further North the better the fishing. Depending on which route you take to the Yukon and destination.If you are on the Alaska Highway North of Fort Nelson stop at Liard Hot Springs, you wont regret it. We drove to Alaska in 2012 and saw some awesome sights and allot of lonely road. We went in May and would drive a couple hundred km before passing anyone. It was excellent. We made the trip in an SUV so you will have no problem with a trailer. July you will see more people is all. Enjoy your trip, my dad, brothers, son and I made a yearly trip to Prince Rupert on a family salmon trip for 7 years straight. They were awesome. 7 guys, roadtrip, beer and awesome fishing made for some unforgettable memory's, glad we did it when we could. Here is few pics of both trips first ones are northern Alberta , BC and Yukon with my wife and the last ones are of Prince Rupert. ( West Coast) with my Dad , Son and Brothers. Dog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-22 17.06.25-1.jpg (54.4 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-23 12.17.39.jpg (59.5 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-23 15.41.22-2.jpg (65.0 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-23 15.55.13-1.jpg (83.5 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-30 13.51.34-1.jpg (52.9 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-30 12.23.48.jpg (55.1 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-30 12.51.16-1.jpg (43.7 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-29 17.46.38-1.jpg (82.2 KB, 371 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:28 PM

If you are bringing float and fly gear, have you thought about doing a day or two on the bow river? World class trout fishery with plenty of 20+ inch rainbow and browns
Old 03-10-2017, 05:03 PM

The replies so far are greatly appreciated. We are planning possible routes to the yukon from edmonton soon. The Bow river has been discussed and we are making sure to spend some timebon a few stretches. I was also hoping to do short stops at small pocket lakes and rivers along the way. Also any recommendes sights to take in is welcomed as well. Thanks again for the warm welcome....pics will definetly be shared
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 AM

pigeon lake for walleye just off the #2 hiway
Old 03-11-2017, 10:48 AM

If you travel up the Alaska hiway from Dawson Creek, slight detour southbound on way back Watson Lake to Smithers on Cassier hiway through Dease lake to Masiadin. You won't be sorry. Gas at dease lake.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
pigeon lake for walleye just off the #2 hiway
2x
Old 03-12-2017, 09:55 AM

FYI Edmonton is about 275km north of the bow river
Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 PM

try Figure eight lake just north of Grimshaw on the first day. Well maintained trout fishery by local club. Basic campground. Very quiet and some seriuosly big fish possible. Best fished by dragging a streamer really slow. Muddler minnows are very good allround streamers. Next try Charlie Lake just past Ft St John next to the Alaska Hwy. Walleye on trolled Rapalas or jigging.
Once you hit the Yukon ask the locals where to find Grayling. Use a black dry fly.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 AM

I would HIGHLY recommend going through northern BC via highway 97. Tetsa river by fort nelson has some spectacular greyling fishing. Once in the yukon i hope you make it up to dawson city; it's a very special place. Go up the dempster highway when you're there. The blackstone river will treat you well. Hundreds of greyling a day are easily possible at the right time of year. Stay at eagle plains and make the quick drive from there to stand in the arctic circle

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Early July typically isn't the best for river fishing, and I can't offer much for advice on lake fishing. Starting in Edmonton bypasses many of albertas best trout fisheries. Some great paddling routes in the Yukon, and a couple companies that will offer put in / take out shuttle service.

If you end up around Haines junction ive had luck on the Kathleen river, can be fished right by the highway and boat launch or you can float it downstream from there.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM

Have never driven out that way but did fish Coughlin for Pike and Lake trout as well as Wolf for Grayling, Lakers and Grayling in Yukon 4 years ago and was simply awesome trip..

Sounds like an amazing trip! Have fun and post some pics when all is said and done!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 PM

Apologies for the late reply to the continued responses fellas. Alot of great feedback so far. We have a few routes that we are going to decide upon in the next 2 weeks. Its looking like we are going to try and cruise toward yellowknife and then slowly make our way on to white horse. I will post an rough driving route as well to help give a better idea for future suggestions. Again my sincere thank you to the continued responses from this forum. My father as well was impressed with your willingness to help and is very appreciative for it.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 PM

Default Edmonton

If you start in Edmonton head west to Maligne lake in Jasper perfect time to fish it then head up 40 to Grande Prairie to 43 some nice scenery stop in Pierre Gray lakes nice little spot Grande Cache lake then head into BC stop at One island lake beyond that I'm not sure
Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM

What part of Ontario are you from? I am a Peterborough transplant.
Just west of Edmonton is Wabamun Lake, good place to knock off some plane rust with a bunch of pike, throw a flashy spoon right off the pier in the town of Wabamum and you should connect. Mostly smaller guys but a few gators roaming around the lake.
Than drive a little further west to fish the McCloud river around Edson, grab a walleye rod with a rapala and wade the river casting into deeper pools for walleye and pike.
Than head north towards Grande Prairie, don't worry just about every river you cross from there north through BC will look fishy and worthy of a few casts. A 3-4 inch stickbait on one rod and a small Mepps spinner on another should let you figure out what's in the rivers (pike/walleye or trout/grayling)
Worth a few bucks to get the ifish AB app for your phone as it will let you know what lakes or rivers are near your location, what zone your in and what species and limits are in place for that location.

Your in for a fun trip.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Trip of a lifetime

Hello everyone
i wanted to say thank you for the feedback, tips amd suggestions that were given leading up to our trip. we began in edmonton and the travelled through Northern B.C. into the yukon and all the way to the arctic circle. we caught our fill of greyling and bull trout. while in B.C. we also were able to battle some of the deadliest northern pike ive ever hooked onto and some feisty lake trout. the scenery was breath taking and pure. really makes a person develop a deeper appreciation for our great country. a couple of pics are attached....unfortunenatly some of the real beefy ones are on another camera.
In my opinion....Muncho Lake is a B.C. gem....the blackstone river is unbelievable and is also frequented by some serious wildlife...and the dempster highway took 5 years off my life...haha cheers fellas!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:17 PM

Rufus
I, for one, am glad you replied with the outcome of your trip. So glad you and yours had an awesome trip and one that won't soon be forgotten. If the Dempster highway took 5 years off your life in Summer imagine a winter trip. lol
Old 07-28-2017, 09:43 PM

Great to hear. I hope you can post some pics. Blackstone holds a special place in my heart. Love that area...