Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Default How to wash blood ?

Hey guys, I was wondering, after skinning a coyote that has been shot, how do you wash the blood off the fur ? You wash the fur right away or you wait when your fur is on the board ?
Old 12-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Banned

After fleshing I wash all my coyotes in dish soap and cold water and then rinse well in cold water.

Borax works well on blood stained fur. Brush it in, let it sit for a few minutes and then brush it out. I don't know how it works on heavy clots.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
After fleshing I wash all my coyotes in dish soap and cold water and then rinse well in cold water.

Borax works well on blood stained fur. Brush it in, let it sit for a few minutes and then brush it out. I don't know how it works on heavy clots.
Washing coyotes is a waste of time and effort UNLESS they filthy dirty with mud. The tumbling at the auction house generally cleans them up well. As far as heavy blood clots go,just wash them out by hand then dry as normal and when turned fur out do the borax treatment to remove the blood stains.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Wash shot coyotes well in water with mild dish soap, not the powerful stuff. The sooner you wash, as in while blood is wet, the easier the task.

It is possible that drumming is over rated??? Depends who's doing it. Good rule of thumb in the fur business... don't count on someone else doing th job for you. The wild fur business is largely a presentation market, so make your skins as presentable as is possible if you want top dollar.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Banned

Washed coyote pelts look 100% better IMO. The white looks white instead of beige and the fur gets all thick and fluffy as opposed to flat looking. For me it's an important step in the process but to each their own.

NAFA doesn't say that it has to be done but to me it sounds like they think that it might be a good idea to do. From the NAFA pelt handling manual:

"While washing is not needed for all pelts, it does improve their appearance. Removing mud, dirt, or blood will give the fur grader and buyer an accurate assessment of the pelt’s true value. Washing also loosens matted fur that has been crushed by Conibears and snares that would have left obvious breaks in the fur and a lower pelt value. Washing in cool water with a little soap will not remove the pelt’s natural oils. Too much soap will leave a dull, “dead” appearance to the fur by removing the pelt’s natural oils."
Old 12-07-2016, 08:08 AM

Thanks a lot for the answers guys, it's greatly appreciated !
Old 12-09-2016, 04:12 PM

Wash your Coyotes after you've fleshed and sewn them. Get an old top load machine with ringer on the side. Wash in cold water for a min or so. I'd stay away from borax especially if they going to nafa.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Wash your Coyotes after you've fleshed and sewn them. I'd stay away from borax especially if they going to nafa.
I've been using borax for cleaning and brightening pelts and shipping to NAFA with no problems what so ever. Just make sure you brush and shake it out of the pelt thoroughly before you ship.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
I've been using borax for cleaning and brightening pelts and shipping to NAFA with no problems what so ever. Just make sure you brush and shake it out of the pelt thoroughly before you ship.
x2 Since you advised me of it last year. It really comes in handy when I'm rushing to get my pelts done right before the last receiving date. Skin, flesh, borax and.....done. It'll remove some of the red belly as well.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:04 PM

Not to derail. But I know guys that got graded hard on borax Coyotes. Borax in the fur at nafa
Old 12-09-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Not to derail. But I know guys that got graded hard on borax Coyotes. Borax in the fur at nafa
Interesting. How would they know they were graded due to borax? Nice to see you posting again btw.