Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-30-2016, 08:11 PM

Default Forecast for this year

Looking at the pelts submitted and the avg price of 2014/15 versus 2015/16 it is hard to think about what this years prices will be.
Last year saw a 40% reduction in economic value over the previous year.
My main concern is what will marten , mink, fox and Lynx be this year. Also, I couldn't believe that average price last year for otter was $23 and marten only $41 for almost 50% loss over last year.

What are you guys doing this year? Going at it hard or cherry picking some prime time for a few furs? There was no money in it last year and if the trend keeps going downward this is not going to be pretty. Anyone have a silver lining to this cloud?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
What are you guys doing this year? Going at it hard or cherry picking some prime time for a few furs? There was no money in it last year and if the trend keeps going downward this is not going to be pretty. Anyone have a silver lining to this cloud?
There are some good market updates here: http://www.nafa.ca/auctions-2/
The 10/21/16 "Market Shows Cautious Optimism" is pretty detailed and the latest report sounds optimistic as well.

I skipped October muskrats this season but that had as much to do with my workload as it did the market for them. I didn't think that a bunch of small Fall muskrats was what I wanted to catch so I will go hard for them during the Spring thaw instead. I didn't trap beaver this Fall either and I'll trap them under ice when they are prime in order to get a better return. I never started snaring coyotes until a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to catch them prime as well.

I'm "Cautiously Optimistic" but the bottom line for me is catching higher quality over quantity.

I get a feeling that you fellas with RFMA's will do better this year.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the link Dave. I am hoping for an increase in marten, mink, fisher and Lynx.
What are your guys thoughts on modern prices for these furs, what reasonable price would you like to see?

Lynx should be $200+
Mink $25
Marten $75
Fox $40
Beaver $40
Otter $100+
Coyote $90+
Wolf $300 for fur plus $500 bounty?

I might be dreaming for this year but is it at least reasonable?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:12 AM
Banned

I think that some of your prices are a little optimistic but I hope to beat your $90 average for coyotes. Coyotes always seem to be in high demand and a +$100 average is not out of the question and very realistic.......I hope.