Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-20-2016, 09:45 AM

Default Fisher and marten box

Hello everyone I'm new to trapping, and just learning the in's and outs of trapping. I live in Manitoba and have been trapping for a year . I have read lots about marten and fisher box making, but I'm interested in finding who makes the plastic boxes that Halfords sell and dam beavers in Saskatchewan. I know the boxes are made in Alberta. Can anyone help point me in the right direction, or with a web site.

Thank you
Old 11-20-2016, 10:14 AM

Do you have a license? Taken the course? Unless you are a registered trapper and own a trapline you are not allowed to trap fisher by the way.
I have been using a tree pot the last couple years and it works real well not that I have them figured out. Very lightweight. I leave them year round and they work well.
Also this year I made a pile of new ones with coregated plastic. Real easy to make and cheap or even free. Will leave them out as well.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:03 AM

Yes, I have a license, and yes we are allowed to trap fisher where I am, it's been opened up here for the last ten year. Also I don't need a registered line here it's opened for anyone.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:19 PM

The boxes are produced by Barrhead Plastics in Alberta.You might get a slightly better deal if you contact the manufacturer direct.Ask for Vern.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:11 PM

Thank you
Old 11-20-2016, 05:30 PM

I see your from Manitoba. Sorry. Hope it works out for you. Is there not something closer for you to get boxes?
I was thinking of buying some newspaper tube boxes from the states. Price was right but found some other options. Good luck
Old 11-22-2016, 10:50 PM

Tried going thru bareheaded plastic direct and was told had to buy from halfords. It's a deal they made.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:04 PM

I ran out if boxes last year and wanted to set more i use homade bait/trap holders for my boxes made from metal banding with a fence staple welded to it and bent in a u on the end for the trap to hang so i just nailed them to a leaner log and built up little cubbies with spruce bows had as much luck with that setup as any box ive used