Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2016, 06:04 PM

Default Reel recommendations for Salt water

So after my little excursion to Prince Rupert I have this itch to go back often. I am looking for some help from those who are in the know. I want to be able to fish the river as well as the ocean I am looking at bait casters as well as Spinning gear. Some that I have looked into are the Penn warfare the Shimano charter special the Penn Battle spinning but not sure which way to go . I realize that within this budget area I am going to be buying a reel made in China most likely but still do not want to end up with a pile of junk at the end of the day. Any Help is appreciated.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 PM

The majority of the reels you see on the river would be baitcasters and I would say the most common reel would be an Abu ambassadeur 6500 or 7000. If you are bottombouncing you can get away with a 6500 but if you want to do any plunking a 7000 would work better. I use my old 7000 that I used in the river on my downrigger rod trolling in the ocean and you could also use it for bottomfishing. Some guys use Shimano Calcuttas in the river. I have one but never found it that much better than an ambassadeur to justify the extra cost. I also have used a Penn international and it is a nice reel but pricey. If you plan to twitch a jig you will probably need a spinning reel. I found that almost impossible to do well with a baitcaster. the last few years I fished the river it was with an old Quantam Response 3000 with 50# braid twitching a jig.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
The majority of the reels you see on the river would be baitcasters and I would say the most common reel would be an Abu ambassadeur 6500 or 7000. If you are bottombouncing you can get away with a 6500 but if you want to do any plunking a 7000 would work better. I use my old 7000 that I used in the river on my downrigger rod trolling in the ocean and you could also use it for bottomfishing. Some guys use Shimano Calcuttas in the river. I have one but never found it that much better than an ambassadeur to justify the extra cost. I also have used a Penn international and it is a nice reel but pricey. If you plan to twitch a jig you will probably need a spinning reel. I found that almost impossible to do well with a baitcaster. the last few years I fished the river it was with an old Quantam Response 3000 with 50# braid twitching a jig.
X2 on the Abu's. I run maxima ultragreen 25lbs on the 6500 and 30lbs on the 7000's.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:53 AM

If you are only setting up one rod/reel combo then I would suggest a spinning set up. When I first started fishing Kitimat I was using a cheap Quantum Optix rod and a cheap size 80 quantum reel with 65# power pro. It held up fairly well. A few years later I upgraded to a 10.5' salmon rod with an Abu 7000 with 25# mono on it, great set up but like someone else mentioned its a nightmare to fish jigs properly with it.
My suggestion for a spinning reel believe it or not is a Cabelas Salt Striker. Its bullet proof, I have caught sailfish, 60# roosters, 50# amberjacks, and lots of others with mine and it still works like new.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo955 View Post
If you are only setting up one rod/reel combo then I would suggest a spinning set up. When I first started fishing Kitimat I was using a cheap Quantum Optix rod and a cheap size 80 quantum reel with 65# power pro. It held up fairly well. A few years later I upgraded to a 10.5' salmon rod with an Abu 7000 with 25# mono on it, great set up but like someone else mentioned its a nightmare to fish jigs properly with it.
My suggestion for a spinning reel believe it or not is a Cabelas Salt Striker. Its bullet proof, I have caught sailfish, 60# roosters, 50# amberjacks, and lots of others with mine and it still works like new.
I have heard the Cabelas Striker is a decent real. My only concern with a Spinning real is, line capacity seems quite a bit less than the level winders.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 AM

you will have no concerns with a SS80 as I believe the line capacity is over 400yds of 20#.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo955 View Post
Another vote for the Salt Striker...
Old 06-09-2016, 07:46 PM

Hmmm I was looking hard a a Abu 7000I today at fishin hole but you have me really thinking on the Salt striker... maybe both?!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 PM

If you are considering fishing the rivers and possibly plunking the abu 7000 is probably a better choice. In the kitimat you would probably be tossing 6oz sinkers and the Skeena can require as much as 10oz sinker to hold bottom at china bar. That calls for some heavy duty line a I think the baitcaster would do a better job with heavy line. I used 40# test for bar fishing. If you go with the abu consider upgrading to a smoothie drag. I found it to be money well spent.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:07 PM

Well I made my choice today and bought a Penn Squall 30 levelwind. Had it spooled with 65# tuffline. Next I am going to pick up a rod . probably a ugly stik for starters
Old 06-24-2016, 01:53 PM

I use G-loomis rods and Shimano Calcutta 700B's as my go to downrigger setup. I have a couple Islanders, a MR2 and MR3 with G loomis and Sage rods for more sporting less freezer filling fishing. For Halibut I use a Shimano Talica 16II 2 speed and a Trevala rod. Backup is a Boca 80 on a heavy Shimano rod. I also have a couple line counters and rods for friends, and a few more spares for bottom and salmon fishing.
When the downriggers are all out I quite often throw out a fly into the was for coho, 8 wt TFO and Hardy reel.
When are you coming to Rupert with me?
Old 06-25-2016, 02:05 PM

I have the penn spinfisher -V in the 8500, love it for salmon and jigging with a 10 ft MH and 65# braid