Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry View Post
Thank you for all the replies.
In retrospect, I am okay with the stop. If the officer had wanted to check my truck as well, I would have been okay with it. I have nothing to hide, not 420 friendly, drink very little and lead a simple life. I believe I have raised my kids right, my oldest son and oldest daughter each bought a house in Calgary when they were 24 years old and work hard. What kind of example would I have set for them if I caused a scene, refused him access to my boat etc, or acted anything less than polite and respectful? The officer acted appropriately as did I.
JH

Old 04-19-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
In retrospect, I am okay with the stop. If the officer had wanted to check my truck as well, I would have been okay with it. I have nothing to hide, not 420 friendly, drink very little and lead a simple life. I believe I have raised my kids right, my oldest son and oldest daughter each bought a house in Calgary when they were 24 years old and work hard. What kind of example would I have set for them if I caused a scene, refused him access to my boat etc, or acted anything less than polite and respectful? The officer acted appropriately as did I.
JH
Very well said - There are bigger things in life that are worth fighting for but this was not a hill to die on. Your kids will learn that too. Now go fishing with them......enjoy.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
At least some people are in agreement / have some morals.

Calling people in cos they're in a boat in closed season, they're now bank robbers? Haven't you seen the posts on this forum about people wanting to know where they can try out their new boat, it's not uncommon.

OP told us he was called in for illegally fishing, not "suspicion of fishing". If that was the case, he wouldn't have been accused of poaching and we wouldn't be
having this discussion.

Geez, we should call in all people now for poaching because we think they maybe poaching ?

Next time you guys falsely accuse others, I hope you get charged in retaliation.

And saying it didn't ruin his day, gimme a break. He was detained, there was an attempt to trick him into incriminating himself, he was searched, boarded, his drivers license was witheld, he had to untarp his boat, show the officer his bacon wrapper and egg shells. And he was assumed Guilty until he could prove his innocence.

If that doesn't ruin your day, then gimme some of whatever you're smoking.

I wonder how this would have gone down if officer C.Craig had found his line damp because he'd taken his boat to say Ghost Reservoir the day before heading down to Pine Coulee, or splashed his lines whilst playing around in the new boat.

He was just one damp line away from being charged, after all eating breakfast or not doesn't prove he wasn't fishing. And his vehicle / driving license / boat will likely be on record as being suspected of poaching, so he'll get extra attention in the future.

At the end of the post he's thanking officer Craig because he was gracious enough not to charge him.

Geez, you guys should listen to yourselves sometimes. Do we need F&W? Yes, but this is wrong.

I now know why there's so few C/Os to attend real calls, it's because idiots are phoning in prank calls with no evidence. I bet you don't even have the cahonies to stand up in court and tell the judge, "Aw, well I know I said I saw em fishing, but I might have just assumed they were fishing".
Wow.. I'd track down a snickers if I was you.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
JH
Well done James
Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 AM

I imagine the numbers of calls to RAP would plummet if there was a real threat that you would be charged if your call didn't lead to charges being laid against someone for poaching. Look at the stats for 2015...2034 calls and 333 charges laid. Assuming 1 charge per call, there were 1700 calls that did not lead to charges, should those 1700 people be charged? Absolutely not, in my opinion. Call in with the facts from your observation, let the officer decide if it warrants a visit.

It's pretty clear the intent of the RAP program is to report suspicious activity. If that means that I have to give an officer 15 mins of my day, so be it. It's a very small price to pay to have enforcement where it's needed - poaching at PCR is a well-known problem.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:38 PM

People were fishing, Heaven only knows what the report was tha te F&W got. Could be there were other people besids those on the bank fishing as well.
My reaction to seeing a jet being propelled by a kicker is it is trolling.
Bottom line is he was checked, whether it was a reported incident or not.
He's coming of a closed lake with rods in his boat, of course the officer is going to check.
I don't fully believe that there as a call phoned in , BTW
Cat
Old 04-25-2016, 09:41 PM

Soooo whos gonna pay for spotting scopes for the folks that live along the lake so they can make 100% for sure a line is in the water from 1/2 mile away....

Someone needs to take a walk outside or something.

Don't forget not everyone hunts or fishes.......
Old 04-26-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
/facepalm
Old 04-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You're not getting it.

If you see some poaching, phone it in. If you see someone you think "maybe" poaching, then phone it in (if you wish), but be clear, "There's a boat on a closed lake, I didn't see anyone poaching because i'm too far away, didn't have my binoculars etc., but it looks suspicious to me, you may want to investigate further.

Both of those are okay activities, and nobody is gonna be charged.

And if you're going to phone up, phone up immediately with some evidence, i.e. video, license plates, descriptions of the individuals, time, location etc.
They can't be everywhere at once.

But phoning up, saying some is poaching when you have no evidence, then that is criminal.

Bottom line, don't make stuff up cos you want to have fun, it's not fair on anyone.

Also, be aware that every case isn't going to go to court, especially if you're saying people are poaching when they're not. Wether or not 1 in 4 cases get charged, still report.
So if I drive past a store at 3am in the morning and see 2 people peering into the window but they haven't done anything (yet that I've seen), and I call the RCMP to report the suspicious behavior, then I'm the criminal because I don't have any evidence of them breaking into the store (yet)?
Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 PM

Ummmmm... you can legally drive a jet boat when you're 8 years old??
Old 04-26-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Ironic:

1. No children under 12 years of age can operate a powerboat with more than a 10 hp motor.

2. Youths 12 to 15 years of age may only operate a boat with a motor over 40 hp if accompanied and directly supervised by someone 16 years of age or older.

The 12-15 year old thing don't make since. It's ok for them to take a 500hp jet boat out on the lake but not a 15hp fishing boat. Only politicians can come up with that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Yet again, report it as suspicious, don't report it as a break in.
As OP originally said, he was reported for fishing when he wasn't.
Had he not been reported for fishing, the officer wouldn't have had reasonable cause to pull him apart. The report was either a false report, the officer made it up to justify the search, or the OP isn't telling us what happened accurately.

Public mischief:
a) making a false statement that accuses some other person of having committed an offence;

(c) reporting that an offence has been committed when it has not been committed; or

The maximum punishment for committing the crime of public mischief is five years in jail.

Your antenna doesn't pick up all the channels, maybe you should try tuning it in.
Is it at all possible that the OP isn't reciting the officer's words verbatim? That maybe there's some leeway in the language used during the conversation....

Maybe the officer told the OP there was a call about suspicion of poaching, not that the report was HE WAS poaching, but the OP, not thinking there would be someone splitting hairs over poaching and suspected poaching, choose to say in the post just that he was reported for poaching.... OR maybe the report was called in as suspicion of poaching but the officer choose to use the language that there was a report of poaching...

And how is suspicion of poaching not a reason to be checked?

In the end, who the hell cares how it was reported or what the officer told the OP or what the OP said to the officer... Your need to nit-pick and split hairs over ridiculous details is beyond tiresome.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
And how is suspicion of poaching not a reason to be checked?
Quote:
Misquoting again.
Oh??

Quote:
Had he not been reported for fishing, the officer wouldn't have had reasonable cause to pull him apart...
But what if he was reported on suspicion of fishing/poaching (which you have no idea if he was or wasn't)? Is that "reasonable cause to pull him apart"? If you want to take everything to it's most literal meaning, I can do that to...

So again I say, you have no idea, or proof, of what was or wasn't reported, or how it was reported, or IF it was reported.... So relax. Quit splitting hairs over stupid little details. No one cares. Sheesh. I have yet to put someone on ignore, but you might get the distinction of being the first.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
The 12-15 year old thing don't make since. It's ok for them to take a 500hp jet boat out on the lake but not a 15hp fishing boat. Only politicians can come up with that lol

And what is the fine for being 8 yrs old driving a jet boat impaired on a pound of bacon????
Old 04-26-2016, 05:26 PM

How do these posts get so heated
Old 04-26-2016, 06:27 PM

I like how the OP posted all is good, has no problem with any of it, and then other members keep arguing over nothing.

You guys remember how to fish right? The real reason we all started coming here...

I've got some good ole evening fishing plans for the next two nights.

Have fun here if that is your plans
Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=Jet;3213715]They seize the bacon and have a cook out.

Cops seizing bacon lol!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 AM

Default ???

Getting reported for boating in water closed fishing, hope thats not punishable by life in prison, because I drove my truck through area thats NOW closed for moose, deer , bear, antelope, goats, sheep, caribou. I even had a gun with me.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:36 PM

Hang on to your rights or lose them. I will never let a CO check my rifle , I tell them they don't and will not get permission to touch or handle my privet property. I will open the bolt and they can use there eyes to inspect thats it.
Some get a little tiffy about that. But I know my rights and will exercise them.
Don't be rude. They are just trying to do what they think is there job. But stick to your guns. Same with searching they got to have probable cause. Not just a hunch .
Old 06-26-2016, 09:46 AM