Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Default I got reported for poaching

Yesterday, my son, daughter and I wanted to try out my new 22' jet boat, but where to launch? We decided on Chain lakes so we could fish while we tried out the boat. Unfortunately when we got to Chain, the water level was very low, and we watched a guy with a smaller and lighter boat get stuck while trying to launch. Chain was out, so we decided to try PCR, though fishing closed on March 31.
When we arrived at PCR the water level was up and an easy launch. We stayed close to the launch and tried the Yamaha kicker for awhile. We then tried the Kodiac 350 to get used to a jet, my first. OMG!!! I love jets. We cruised the lake for awhile with my 27 year old son at the helm. At the north end of the lake we decided to drift for awhile while I made breakfast. 8 eggs and a pound of bacon later, I put the butane stove away and wiped down the engine cowl where we had been cooking. My 8 year old then drove the boat back to the launch where I noticed a dad fishing with his kids. A pleasant fellow who was thankful for me letting him know the lake was closed to fishing. we then loaded up the boat.
As I was driving past the camp entrance, an unmarked pickup lit up like a CHRISTmas tree and the Fish and Wildlife Officer waved me over. The officer approached and asked me "how was the fishing?" Huh? WTH? I told him we weren't fishing because it is closed. I then learned someone reported us for fishing in the north end of the lake. Being falsely accused I was ready to explode but kept my composure as the officer was just doing his job. The officer took my driver's licence and went to his truck, when he returned I untarped my boat and we boarded. My saving grace was having braided lines on our rods, completely dry! Also I showed him the dirty cast iron frypan, empty bacon wrapper and egg shells. After a quick talk with my son and daughter he was convinced and we were on our way. The whole thing took about 20 minutes.
I was abit choked about being falsely accused, but the person who reported us was probably just concerned and watching us from a distance. When we were having breakfast on the boat, they probably assumed we were fishing.
As far as the officer goes, he was professional and courteous through our dealings, thank you officer C. Craig.
All in all, though frustrating, I was happy to see F&W out doing their job, If I had been poaching I would deserve whatever the punishment and more. When dealing with these officers please show them the respect they deserve, they have a job to do
Old 04-18-2016, 07:39 AM
Banned

Default Innocent

I guess the people thought you were guilty until proven innocent.

It's funny you you chose to show that your lines were dry.

The bottom line is Joe Public always assumes the worst for some stupid reason.

You boat must be thrilling and congratulations.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry View Post
Yesterday, my son, daughter and I wanted to try out my new 22' jet boat, but where to launch? We decided on Chain lakes so we could fish while we tried out the boat. Unfortunately when we got to Chain, the water level was very low, and we watched a guy with a smaller and lighter boat get stuck while trying to launch. Chain was out, so we decided to try PCR, though fishing closed on March 31.
When we arrived at PCR the water level was up and an easy launch. We stayed close to the launch and tried the Yamaha kicker for awhile. We then tried the Kodiac 350 to get used to a jet, my first. OMG!!! I love jets. We cruised the lake for awhile with my 27 year old son at the helm. At the north end of the lake we decided to drift for awhile while I made breakfast. 8 eggs and a pound of bacon later, I put the butane stove away and wiped down the engine cowl where we had been cooking. My 8 year old then drove the boat back to the launch where I noticed a dad fishing with his kids. A pleasant fellow who was thankful for me letting him know the lake was closed to fishing. we then loaded up the boat.
As I was driving past the camp entrance, an unmarked pickup lit up like a CHRISTmas tree and the Fish and Wildlife Officer waved me over. The officer approached and asked me "how was the fishing?" Huh? WTH? I told him we weren't fishing because it is closed. I then learned someone reported us for fishing in the north end of the lake. Being falsely accused I was ready to explode but kept my composure as the officer was just doing his job. The officer took my driver's licence and went to his truck, when he returned I untarped my boat and we boarded. My saving grace was having braided lines on our rods, completely dry! Also I showed him the dirty cast iron frypan, empty bacon wrapper and egg shells. After a quick talk with my son and daughter he was convinced and we were on our way. The whole thing took about 20 minutes.
I was abit choked about being falsely accused, but the person who reported us was probably just concerned and watching us from a distance. When we were having breakfast on the boat, they probably assumed we were fishing.
As far as the officer goes, he was professional and courteous through our dealings, thank you officer C. Craig.
All in all, though frustrating, I was happy to see F&W out doing their job, If I had been poaching I would deserve whatever the punishment and more. When dealing with these officers please show them the respect they deserve, they have a job to do
I ran into Craig before in Canmore area, hes a nice guy. Luckily the COs responded to the call, although you weren't poaching. Little bit of a waste in time for both of you, but it reinforces the presence of conservation officers on others, especially poachers reading this thanks for the read
Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 AM

I've been out a number of days this year mapping, enjoying the weather, making videos to tease my family back east etc. I bought some new planer boards this winter and wanted to dial them in before the season opened but figured that rods out with boards on them would get me called in regardless of whether there actually was a lure behind them or not. Even without a single hook in the boat it would still be a tense discussion with a CO.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Banned

Congrats on your new boat. Jet boats are a lot of fun. Was a beautifull day to be out on the lake. I'm surprised that no-one has posted what a terrible person you are for not RAPing that father and son that was fishing. I think you did the proper thing by just letting them know fishing was closed.
Sounds like you and your boat are ready for when the season starts.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:43 AM

I was at Chain yesterday camping with my son and fishing onshore...

Quite a few boats out yesterday but after driving by the launch(which was unbelievable low), I would never of tried launching..LOL.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
people can be charged for false reporting, so as you know the officer, it would be a good idea to give him a call and ask for this person who filled a false report to be charged and see what happens next.
Had the person that called it in been correct, we'd all be giving them a great big pat on the back right now for the great job they did. Calling in poachers is constantly preached and lauded on this forum, including by you in this post.

Now you're advocating charging someone with a crime for doing exactly that? How would the threat of criminal charges in any way be productive or conducive to getting people to report what they see?

If in fact someone did call it in, unless they had some kinda personal vendetta against the OP, they were simply reporting what they believed was suspicious behavior. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it's certainly not a criminal act. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the CO following up on that tip of "potential" poaching and checking the OP when they came off the water either.

I get that it sucks being accused of wrongdoing, but in my opinion, the system was working as it should. I'd rather the public and the CO's err on the side of caution than just turn a blind eye. If I'm the OP, I'm annoyed yes, but I'd also be happy that the public is trying to protect the fishery and that the CO's were quick to respond and professional in their approach.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Had the person that called it in been correct, we'd all be giving them a great big pat on the back right now for the great job they did. Calling in poachers is constantly preached and lauded on this forum, including by you in this post.

Now you're advocating charging someone with a crime for doing exactly that? How would the threat of criminal charges in any way be productive or conducive to getting people to report what they see?

If in fact someone did call it in, unless they had some kinda personal vendetta against the OP, they were simply reporting what they believed was suspicious behavior. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it's certainly not a criminal act. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the CO following up on that tip of "potential" poaching and checking the OP when they came off the water either.

I get that it sucks being accused of wrongdoing, but in my opinion, the system was working as it should. I'd rather the public and the CO's err on the side of caution than just turn a blind eye. If I'm the OP, I'm annoyed yes, but I'd also be happy that the public is trying to protect the fishery and that the CO's were quick to respond and professional in their approach.
I agree with this statement as well. If I would of seen a boat anchored on the water I would assume they are fishing over having breakfast. I don't think anyone involved in this did anything wrong - just an honest misunderstanding. It happened all the time on "Three's Company"
Old 04-18-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post

Pretty much agree!

And cudos to the OP for letting the other father and kids know of the closure.

I did the same thing the other day for a grampa and grandson.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
What's so difficult to understand?

1. If someone's poaching, phone it in.

2. If someone's not poaching, don't phone it in

3. If you THINK someone maybe poaching, then don't phone it in as poaching
unless you see them actually poaching, that would be a false report and wastes
everyones time.

4. If someone is calling people in when they're not poaching, then
yes they should be charged.

I see people "I think" are likely poaching many times, but if I don't see a rod in the water, or a fish being illegally kept, then I don't phone it in.

If you actually read the OP comments, you will see:
1. I got reported for poaching
2. I then learned someone reported us for fishing in the north end of the lake

Seems pretty definite to me, he wasn't fishing, and he was reported for poaching. Nothing was mentioned about suspicious activity.

I disagree with you. There are 2 possibilities here, one is the report was real, the other was it an excuse to overstep the bounds. They do charge for false reports
from the public, and asking for the person to be charged is one way to verify that the bounds aren't being stepped and to get clarification on what happened.

You don't have to bend over for every request. Everybody wants to stop poaching, but there's a fine line between that and violations of your civil liberties.
If you give up your civil liberties then it's downhill from there. I knew a couple of cops, and it's a tough job, but I also know how they bend the rules to trick people into giving permission for what would otherwise be an illegal search.

And yes, you can have both, enforcement and the protection of civil liberties.

I'd rather C/O's detain, charge, search and the public report in poaching cases only, where they were actually poaching, and not where they think there "may" have been poaching...

Because your view of world is a violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and our legal system, and that is something many have fought for.
Quote:
So just to clarify, you see a boat anchored in the water, and you phone RAP telling them they're poaching?

Hope someone does the same to you are ruins your day. You're as bad as poachers themselves, just saying.

Giving false reports is just as bad as poaching, and diverts resources from chasing down the real scourge, the poachers themselves.
/facepalm
Old 04-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
/facepalm
X2.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
So just to clarify, you see a boat anchored in the water, and you phone RAP telling them they're poaching?

Hope someone does the same to you are ruins your day. You're as bad as poachers themselves, just saying.

Giving false reports is just as bad as poaching, and diverts resources from chasing down the real scourge, the poachers themselves.
I dont read into James Henry day being ruined over this - maybe annoyed a bit at the most. If I have to be annoyed a bit to answer a question honestly, and have it accepted - small price to pay. James Henry seems like an honest guy just sharing his day. At the end I may look at this story and be more vigilant before I would call in - so for that I thank you.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Pretty clever comment Anything more constructive to add?
Constructive - good job on the call coming in. Since poaching is illegal, and everyone knows it's illegal, not many do things to provide 'evidence' in plain view. It's an excellent idea to call it in, just to make sure. As is clearly the case, no harm, no foul.

Everything you said is ridiculous, and the reason why so much poaching goes unpunished - just sayin'.

Have a super day!

Cheers
Old 04-18-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
/facepalm

x3

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 04-18-2016, 12:02 PM

If you were checked James, it means that someone may have assumed you were fishing illegally ad called it in.
The Co's investigated and all is good.
At least someone called in and the Co's investigated.
Beats the crap outta someone calling something in and the Co's NOT investigating!
Cat
Old 04-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Banned

Great job on those that phoned in the "suspicious" activity,they were unsure and did the right thing...COs don't want people confronting others as it can get ugly quick. I suggest we all do the same to help protect our fisheries...
Old 04-18-2016, 12:39 PM

edit... Just seen your post Idaman....This relates to you..3 posts yet..LOL

I would be choked if I was called in for suspicion of poaching.....without any sort of proof....

When I am out fishing I make damn sure that I see proof of wrong doing before I would ever call it in....

Being smart about it is the first step...

-I see someone out with fishing rods on a closed lake
-I see someone take a 0 limit fish..IE. Walleye with a no tag rule on that lake...and see them physically keep that fish...

Just a couple of examples

I do not disagree about calling in suspicious behavior, but try to have some proof before you do
Old 04-18-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post

I would be choked if I was called in for suspicion of poaching.....without any sort of proof....
It is the CO's job to determine if something is legal or not, not a civilian. If anyone thinks something is suspicious, call it in and let the authorities determine what to do next. We have neighbourhood watch programs for a reason...

For all we know the call could have been "Hey officer, I see a group of individuals that unloaded with a bunch of fishing gear in their boat anchored out on the far side of the lake, you know the common fishing hole on the north side. Feel free to do what you think is best."

It is the crazy responses on here that makes one realize that we still need the COs out in the bush.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Constructive - good job on the call coming in. Since poaching is illegal, and everyone knows it's illegal, not many do things to provide 'evidence' in plain view. It's an excellent idea to call it in, just to make sure. As is clearly the case, no harm, no foul.

Everything you said is ridiculous, and the reason why so much poaching goes unpunished - just sayin'.

Have a super day!

Cheers
Pretty much.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
/facepalm

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post

When I am out fishing I make damn sure that I see proof of wrong doing before I would ever call it in....

Being smart about it is the first step...

-I see someone out with fishing rods on a closed lake
-I see someone take a 0 limit fish..IE. Walleye with a no tag rule on that lake...and see them physically keep that fish...

Just a couple of examples

I do not disagree about calling in suspicious behavior, but try to have some proof before you do

Of course this relates to me... It relates to every Albertan that pays taxes, pay for a licence, or enjoys the outdoors in our province whether I am a new again albertan/ or new forum member....Camoderrick nailed it...
Old 04-18-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post
It is the CO's job to determine if something is legal or not, not a civilian. If anyone thinks something is suspicious, call it in and let the authorities determine what to do next. We have neighbourhood watch programs for a reason...

For all we know the call could have been "Hey officer, I see a group of individuals that unloaded with a bunch of fishing gear in their boat anchored out on the far side of the lake, you know the common fishing hole on the north side. Feel free to do what you think is best."

It is the crazy responses on here that makes one realize that we still need the COs out in the bush.
Bang on
Old 04-18-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post

Wrong!

If I see a guy wearing a mask walk into a bank I usually wait until he comes running out with bags of cash before I call 911
Old 04-18-2016, 06:36 PM

Aha! So that was YOU the fish cop was after! He went burnin' past our compound, all lit up, siren and all, headin' for PCR. Most excitement we've had in 3 years
Old 04-19-2016, 05:21 AM

CO did an "Investigation".

Dodger.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well small inconvenience, good on you for cooperating, the officer for following up and for a person reporting a suspicious activity.

That is how things go sometimes and without the call we never catch the bad guys.

Sooner or later it will provide the outcome of a scumbag being caught!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-19-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Sooner or later it will provide the outcome of a scumbag being caught!
Making it all worth it. X2
Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 AM

Let's see picture of the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Banned

Default Unbelievable !

Several things are .....that someone called in a complaint
For PC , that CO showed up and that that's all Jet has to say
On the matter . Meds kick in !

Boating on a closed to angling body of water could raise suspicion .
C Craig obviously a stand up guy , taking the fishing Equipment
Out of the boat best idea . Though the locals that reported you
Likely would B&E your ride in the parking lot . The CO should have
Taken a sample of your line and the lake water to the lab for a little
CSI. Shoddy police work .

I hope no one reports the abuse of a Hi Way check stop in season .
I can think of a few members on here that would demand a pat down
Or at very least a probing search .
Old 04-19-2016, 01:20 PM

Thank you for all the replies.
In retrospect, I am okay with the stop. If the officer had wanted to check my truck as well, I would have been okay with it. I have nothing to hide, not 420 friendly, drink very little and lead a simple life. I believe I have raised my kids right, my oldest son and oldest daughter each bought a house in Calgary when they were 24 years old and work hard. What kind of example would I have set for them if I caused a scene, refused him access to my boat etc, or acted anything less than polite and respectful? The officer acted appropriately as did I.
JH