Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 05:04 AM

Smile July visit to Alberta to fly fish for trout from UK

Hi guys, I will be visiting Waterton, Glacier, Banff, and Jasper to do some fly fishing for trout, do you guys suggest any good spots to fish on my travels.
I fish a great little chalk stream in the UK, but having been to Alberta before and seen the great rivers you have there I need to make the best of a 16 day holiday count Cheers, Kent brownie
Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Hey Buddy, lots of places!! The Bow will be killing it by then I work up North but come back every 2 weeks. Drop me a line or a PM my stepfather is from the UK and wanted to take him out as well if you need a fishing partner we will be out and about let us know you can tag along and hammer some beauties on the dry fly!!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:51 AM

Kent, I sent you a PM
Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 PM

I too sent you a PM

Peter

-Confucius
Old 04-27-2015, 04:11 PM

I didn't send you a PM
Old 04-27-2015, 09:53 PM

Get your hands on Alberta's Trout Highway by Barry Mitchell. It will answer all of your questions.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade J View Post
Get your hands on Alberta's Trout Highway by Barry Mitchell. It will answer all of your questions.
^Bad advice. The guy will lose his plane ticket, and never go home. What if he has a family and kids?

Kent~as a guy who visits Alberta as often as he can, I'd make this suggestion~if you love fly fishing, keep your plans loose and get some fishing in early in your trip. You may want to do nothing else once you've experienced Alberta rivers.

Feel free to message me if you think you want another visitor's perspective, but message the guys who live their first, and have generously offered to help.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:00 AM

if you are starting in Waterton and working your way up to Jasper, just travel the Forestry Trunk Rd (hwy 40 in the south and 740 farther north) and hit every stream you can along the way. the forestry Trunk rd crosses at one point just about every major trout stream in Alberta.

some not to miss streams are the Castle rivers, Crowsnest River, Oldman and all its tribs, Livingstone ( a must do, plan on spending at least 3 or 4 days on this river you will not be dissapointed), Highwood, Bow River, Little Red Deer and Red Deer, North and South Ram (another must do rivers), North Sask, Cardinal, Blackstone, Pembina, etc, etc and lots of other rivers and streams too much to mention.

a lot of the tiny streams are very nice rivers to fish to. not real big fish but lots of tiny willing fish. the farther you can get from the easy access points the better the fishing.

pick up the Backroads Map books ( there is about 4 of them if not mistaken) they have some real good maps showing all the rivers and roads and trails into these rivers.

you will not be disappointed.

rgds
Mike