Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2015, 09:46 AM

Default New waders

My current waders are at the end of their life and I have been shopping around seeing what my options are. My budget is around $350. I really like the look and feel of the Simms Headwaters waders ($350msrp) but every shop I've checked in town has them priced around $440. I thought about ordering them directly from Simms but apparently they won't ship to Canada...I could be wrong about that but I was unable to change the location from USA. I need something that is going to last me a few seasons and can handle the average amount of bushwacking that is required when exploring. Simms also has the Freestone wader which I believe is new for this year. I took a good look at them but I wasn't sure about durability and longevity. Is $350 enough to get me a durable wader that will last? Should I just suck it up and spend the $440 on the Headwaters? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:59 AM

I think one of the differences between the two are life time warrantee vs. a year, but I could be wrong (another is made off shore vs. in the USA). Depending on your size there was a pre-owned set on Kijiji out of Banff/Canmore... Could always look for NOS (new old stock) on sale at a dealer (or on line) if you know your size...

P

-Confucius
Old 04-22-2015, 12:02 PM

I am typically very supportive of local shops. I prefer to buy local, helps the economy, makes for great return service and so on. Recently I went wader shopping and being a non regular fit the best waders I found for me that offered everything you mentioned as well were the Patagonia RioGallegos. The sticker price was obvious high but I have no problems paying it if the product is going to last.

I decided to think on it as I was also purchasing new waders for my girlfriend as well and they needed to be ordered in. While at home I found the exact waders I was looking for on the popular auction site. I decided to bid and I won, $340 wow!

Even with purchasing two pair of boots and another pair of waders the local shops couldn't offer me a discount close enough that could sway me to purchase them locally so it was an easy choice and I ended up with a premium product for a mid grade price. So do not be afraid to look online as far as I am concerned.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:42 PM

Suck it up, get the simms Imo
Old 04-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Check the buy/sell section!

-Confucius
Old 04-22-2015, 02:46 PM

Check out the Orvis Silver Sonics. (Love mine and I was a Simms guy forever)

A bit closer to your price. http://www.countrypleasures.com/store/

Also Troutfitters has some Simms on sale. http://shop.bowrivertroutfitters.ca/...-694264061565/
Old 04-22-2015, 03:16 PM

I have redington sonic pros with an MSRP of 300 on their website and have zero complaints about them