Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM

Default Fallen timber

Hit fallen timber yesterday. Second time on this creek. Not a fish to be seen. Looks like such a sweet spot. Hit it around the Bergen campsite. Not sure if the fish have moved out of wintering holes yet. Maybe we were pulling the trigger a bit early for this spot Anyone with experience on this creek, would like to hear how you like it.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:51 PM

The Fallen Timber has been getting hammered with the new opening, lots of my buddies have been walking its banks and slamming it.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:22 PM

I hit it last year early season. Might have been in May but in that same spot you were I was pulling a lot of fish consistently. I hear a bunch of the small streams around there are really low water levels this year. What do you think? That might have something to do with it or you're just a couple weeks early. Either way I know that section has produced well for me before so I'm sure it will again.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:51 PM

Really tough area too close to the parking lot. Very low water fir this time of year and no snow to plump them up
Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
The Fallen Timber has been getting hammered with the new opening, lots of my buddies have been walking its banks and slamming it.
What new opening?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:19 PM

Was out there this weekend. Landed a nice sized brown. The area near the parking lot seemed fishless. It wasn't until wee moved 20 to 30 mins upstream before we saw some action.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:29 PM

Fished this section 2 weekends ago, all i saw was a 6 pound burbot, wasn't interested though
Old 04-20-2015, 08:06 PM

Fished down stream and literally saw nothing
Old 04-29-2015, 10:02 AM

This river has been hit and miss for me. I have fished the same section you are referring to around this time last year and had 5 browns in the first few turns of the river. Other days have been completely skunked. @lds is right, I was up in the area last weekend and pretty much all the water up there is very low for this time of year, but that would make me think that the fish would be pushed into the bigger waters like Fallen. But not sure.

As well, if browns feel too much pressure or danger they will switch their feeding habits to primarily night time, as their vision is almost as good in the dark.