Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2015, 09:38 AM

Default First fly rod.

I am going to try fly fishing this summer. I am only going to get out 3 or 4 times so I was looking at a nothing fancy combo. Any reason why this would not be a good rod for trout streams and maybe a couple trips to a trout pond?

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=23104
Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 AM

This looks like a nice combo for sure. Can't really beat the price. However if you get unlucky (which i have many times) and break your rod you're out of luck. The TFO rods like this combo http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=28327 have a lifetime warranty and are great rods for the price. It cost $20 to replace the broken piece and they are based in Calgary so if you're in the area you wont even need to ship it off to them.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:21 AM

I picked up one of those bug launchers and they are a lot of fun to cast. A little short for lake fishing but made on a signature series blank that has been around for a while. I wanted something to keep in the vehicle if I spotted a stream to try on my travels or as a Brookie rod.

I purchased several TFO rods for the young people and myself but found the Redington rods to be more durable with better components. The Classic Trout has a wonderful medium action and is a great all around rod that is easy to cast.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Redin...h-All+Products
Old 03-25-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtech1986 View Post
This looks like a nice combo for sure. Can't really beat the price. However if you get unlucky (which i have many times) and break your rod you're out of luck. The TFO rods like this combo http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=28327 have a lifetime warranty and are great rods for the price. It cost $20 to replace the broken piece and they are based in Calgary so if you're in the area you wont even need to ship it off to them.
Thanks! I'll go in store and take a look. If I did a day hike into a lake do you think a two Piece rod would be large and hard to carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I picked up one of those bug launchers and they are a lot of fun to cast. A little short for lake fishing but made on a signature series blank that has been around for a while. I wanted something to keep in the vehicle if I spotted a stream to try on my travels or as a Brookie rod.

I purchased several TFO rods for the young people and myself but found the Redington rods to be more durable with better components. The Classic Trout has a wonderful medium action and is a great all around rod that is easy to cast.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Redin...h-All+Products

I don't see that one on the cabelas Canada site but I will look in store. Do you think it's better to get them separately rather than a combo?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM

Yes a 2 piece can be a little long for those hike in lakes. They also have some good 4 piece rods that come with a nice hard tube (this is one of the ones I have, a little bit more expensive but a great combo)
http://www.basspro.com/Temple-Fork-O...product/88940/
Old 03-25-2015, 12:35 PM

Absolutely no reason that Okuma won't serve you well

but if it were me starting again I'd buy an Echo solo outfit. For a tad more it comes with line and a case, plus it's a 4pc.

If the streams you fish have overhanging trees or bushes however, I'd find a 7'6". I think someone had one for sale on here a while ago, not sure if it's still there.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 PM

Sorry but that okuma is like a broom stick. Of course my opinion. Try it before you buy it I would suggest the echo or even the bug launcher that I saw and gave a whip around the store and wow what a nice feeling rod
Old 03-25-2015, 07:35 PM

I have both the bug launcher (bought for my kids, but I am liking it more than them) and the TFO NXT combo. Both are 4wt but the NXT is a foot longer- 8'6". I tried out the bug launcher and it casts really easy and smooth. I liked the length for the tight bush and treed areas that I found on the Raven (just wished it was a 4 pc). The NXT combo (4pc) includes a case with the reel and line. The case has enough room to squeeze in my 6 wt rod as well. Bought the NXT at the Fishing Hole and they matched the on line price from Bass Pro. I would much rather give my business to the Fishing Hole. I did look at the Echo Glass but it was a bit out of my price range at the time. Can't beat TFO warranty. I have used it once already for a broken eye.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:39 PM

I got a TFO NXT series 4 piece 5/6 weight combo as my first kit, and have used it quite a bit with no concerns. I think in the entry level, you do get what you pay for. If you go too low, you'll be able to get started but in no time will be wanting better line, a better reel, a case etc. Mine came with a little better of everything for not much more money, and I'm still quite happy with it. Being a 4 pc it packs small and came with a reasonably good hard case. As mentioned their lifetime warranty is a nice bonus.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a lot more research to do!

So shorter is better with the shore line trees, would I regret a shorter rod when there is not a lot of shore line trees?

And I see some say floating line some say "wf". If I wanted to use the line that came with it (for this year) which is best on trout creeks and hopefully one hike in trip? Man I know nothing about fly fishing!

Last edited by lyallpeder; 03-25-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a lot more research to do!

So shorter is better with the shore line trees, would I regret a shorter rod when there is not a lot of shore line trees?
depends, you won't be able to cast quite as far, but as a new fly fisher you won't be rocketing it out anyway. if there's a dock or you have a boat you won't really miss it. However on a larger stream or river a longer rod is nice for line control.

my first rod was a 7'6" and I got by pretty well for a few years, I now have a 6' that I use in the trees and it's a perfect tool for the job. When I fish stillwaters from shore though I like my 9' 5wt.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I don't see that one on the cabelas Canada site but I will look in store. Do you think it's better to get them separately rather than a combo?
It is on Cabelas.com but not ca that I can see.

The combos can be a good deal as the reel is not really that important on a trout rod as long as it holds together and balances with the rod.

The line can be a problem and unfortunately it is as important as the rod. I picked up the Bug Launcher as a combo but sold the reel and line. It seemed like a pretty good line and the reel was more than adequate. It cast nicely in the yard but I had an old reel from the 60s I wanted to use and it already had a top end SA trout line on it from another rig.

I don't know what line Echo puts on their combos but a local shop talked me into an Echo branded line and it is very good. It has a long trout taper that lays down dry flies very nicely.

I have never tried the Cabela's branded fly gear but the guys on the US forums speak highly of them. Cabelas has a reputation of standing behind their gear. I have their waders, pack boots and some other stuff that has been awesome. Much better than the Bass Pro stuff I tried. Cabelas seems to leave all the reviews on products, be it good or bad, so you might want to read up on both their web sites.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
And I see some say floating line some say "wf". If I wanted to use the line that came with it (for this year) which is best on trout creeks and hopefully one hike in trip? Man I know nothing about fly fishing!
WF means weight forward which helps in loading the rod and generally makes casting easier. You should start with a weight forward floating line. You can still fish below the surface if you like with wet flies and nymphs although it obviously isn't made for deep fishing. Some add spit shot to aid in sinking flies.

Learning takes time but you don't have to be really good at something to truly enjoy it. Getting out with an experienced fly fisher will expedite the process.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 PM

Floating line for sure - if your fishing any shallow waters it's far better to be able to follow and "mend" your line as it travels down the stream. The decision is more whether to use dry flies or sinking flies. As I understand it, fish feed about 80% of the time below the surface, so for a beginner wet flies and nymphs are probably the best to start with. You adjust the depth these go to using split shots or just heavier flies, sometimes 2 flies on a line to get different depths. Dry fly fishing can be more exciting as the fish come out of the water and you can see them go at your fly, but it's challenging for a beginner as you need to be able to cast accurately.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:33 PM

Yes! Weight forward!! Thank you YouTube!

Thank god there is a knitting store next to the fishing hole, the wife won't be able to say I spent too much!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Yes! Weight forward!! Thank you YouTube!

Thank god there is a knitting store next to the fishing hole, the wife won't be able to say I spent too much!
You could always send her in to play some lazer tag as well...
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
You could always send her in to play some lazer tag as well...
I think she'll be happier at river city yarns!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtech1986 View Post
I have needed to use my warranty on my TFO rod twice. I cant imagine forking out the price of a new rod every time I do something stupid like un tying a fly mid stream, then dabble in my fly box and then look down and half your rod is missing. DOH! Never do that again. Good to great quality rod, great price, awesome warrantee. I see no need to switch over to anything else.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:38 AM

Kind of off topic but how long should you use a fly rod/reel for before you get a new one like if you have a 5/6 wt rod? I got a martin 5/6 wt back in the early summer and it has been okay but the reel kinda sucks without being able control the drag (i can only use my hands to control it) I didn't know much about the fly gear back, i just felt like bringing a whole new chapter in to fishing, and decided to start with a cheap fly rod for like 50 bucks. But in the future would you guys recommend me to change the rod or just the reel?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
I have needed to use my warranty on my TFO rod twice. I cant imagine forking out the price of a new rod every time I do something stupid like un tying a fly mid stream, then dabble in my fly box and then look down and half your rod is missing. DOH! Never do that again. Good to great quality rod, great price, awesome warrantee. I see no need to switch over to anything else.

Thanks, the warranty seems worth a little more.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
Kind of off topic but how long should you use a fly rod/reel for before you get a new one like if you have a 5/6 wt rod? I got a martin 5/6 wt back in the early summer and it has been okay but the reel kinda sucks without being able control the drag (i can only use my hands to control it) I didn't know much about the fly gear back, i just felt like bringing a whole new chapter in to fishing, and decided to start with a cheap fly rod for like 50 bucks. But in the future would you guys recommend me to change the rod or just the reel?
seems to me like an excuse to buy a whole new setup but then again, I'm a gear junkie. You could probably go 10 years on that rod and reel and it'd be fine.

however if it's bothering you I'd find something else. Plenty of used or discontinued reels kicking around for a good price that'd be better than a kit martin.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:17 PM

Spin'Nflyfish most of us usually dont need a drag anyway. More like we set the drag so we dont over run the spool and end up with a birdsnest of line in the reel. Click and pawl reels do that with less parts to mess up. If you do decide to upgrade send me a pm I'm looking for a click pawl reel for a bamboo rod. Also pretty much any rod company out there has lifetime warranties just how good it is and how much it cost to fix it
Old 03-26-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Spin'Nflyfish most of us usually dont need a drag anyway. More like we set the drag so we dont over run the spool and end up with a birdsnest of line in the reel. Click and pawl reels do that with less parts to mess up. If you do decide to upgrade send me a pm I'm looking for a click pawl reel for a bamboo rod. Also pretty much any rod company out there has lifetime warranties just how good it is and how much it cost to fix it
a while back i saw a caddis creek reel for 19 bucks (or around that price), looks like the one i got (click and prawl), i think it was at CT. The martin is 8' feet, and is works great on creeks, ponds and rivers but not so much on a large lake. Maybe I'll get a 8wt 9' rod with a better drag reel to cast farther for lakes and for bigger fish with more backbone and drag control in the future. Maybe just use it as an alternative and with the martin on the side for creeks/rivers with brush and overhangs or ponds with smaller fish. But I think i can still survive with my martin
Old 03-27-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
a while back i saw a caddis creek reel for 19 bucks (or around that price), looks like the one i got (click and prawl), i think it was at CT. The martin is 8' feet, and is works great on creeks, ponds and rivers but not so much on a large lake. Maybe I'll get a 8wt 9' rod with a better drag reel to cast farther for lakes and for bigger fish with more backbone and drag control in the future. Maybe just use it as an alternative and with the martin on the side for creeks/rivers with brush and overhangs or ponds with smaller fish. But I think i can still survive with my martin
I can't remember the last time I needed drag on a lake, I'll almost always strip a fish in because I've already got half my line at my feet anyway. If you're looking for a great stillwater rod though, find a 9'6" 7wt. Also learn to double haul.

my $0.02

Old 03-27-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
depends, you won't be able to cast quite as far, but as a new fly fisher you won't be rocketing it out anyway. if there's a dock or you have a boat you won't really miss it. However on a larger stream or river a longer rod is nice for line control.

my first rod was a 7'6" and I got by pretty well for a few years, I now have a 6' that I use in the trees and it's a perfect tool for the job. When I fish stillwaters from shore though I like my 9' 5wt.
It is not a coincidence that the vast majority of fly rods built, sold and used are in the 8 1/2 to 9 foot range,,,, When you combine physics and karma (ie, taper, castability, fishabilty, swing weight, feel etc.), that really is an ideal length for fly rods.

Longer and shorter rods do have their place in the hands of some anglers and some situations, but the market doesn't lie,,, 9 foot rods are the most popular for good reason.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I can't remember the last time I needed drag on a lake, I'll almost always strip a fish in because I've already got half my line at my feet anyway. If you're looking for a great stillwater rod though, find a 9'6" 7wt. Also learn to double haul.

my $0.02
I can double haul, it really helps shoot it far out for rivers and ponds , but one day i should get a stillwater rod with a sink tip or or intermediate sink. Thanks for the advice, i'll keep it in mind
Old 03-27-2015, 05:39 PM

Thank you everyone, there is a lot of great advice here. I'm sure you'll hear from me a few more times this summer!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean2287 View Post
I got a TFO NXT series 4 piece 5/6 weight combo as my first kit, and have used it quite a bit with no concerns. I think in the entry level, you do get what you pay for. If you go too low, you'll be able to get started but in no time will be wanting better line, a better reel, a case etc. Mine came with a little better of everything for not much more money, and I'm still quite happy with it. Being a 4 pc it packs small and came with a reasonably good hard case. As mentioned their lifetime warranty is a nice bonus.
Just bought one of these last week. I've been getting a few strange looks from joggers as I practice in the park behind my house, but they're jogging so they get strange looks back

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:53 AM

I hate to hijack a good thread guys, but I felt silly making a new one when this one was still on the front page

I'm also looking at getting into fly-fishing, but I've been paralyzed by indecision for months now- I'd like to get a good versatile rod for trout here but I also spend a lot of time out in B.C. and would love to try my hand at steelhead fishing. a 9' rod seemed like a decent length but I wasn't sure if it would be better to spring for a 5wt, 6wt, or 7wt. 5wt seemed really light for steelhead and I've been told its better to be 'overgunned' than be too light, but I was worried about going too heavy and not being able to make delicate casts. Should I just wait and maybe buy two less expensive rods?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Combo

Does anyone know where I could find an Echo Solo combo in Edmonton? The only place I haven't checked is Wholesale Sports.