Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM

Default Tobin Lake

I know there is alot of info on this site about this lake, but im bored and not alot of new post to look at..

I have a trip planned the first week of June this year and would like to pick a few of your brains.. From what I have heard, Sask will probably have a late ice off this year, so where will the BIG pike be? In past years we have found the water temp to be in the 56 degree range, does this mean they will be in shallow (2-5 FOW) or does water temp not play as big of part as time of year, and they could be in the 8-12 FOW.

This is our 4th year and in the past we have always done pretty good, but with a late ice out it has me abit concerned... Always nice to have a few tricks if needed.

Heres to hoping the water isnt chocolate milk!

Cheers!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 AM

I can't comment on Tobin as I've never fished it, but I can give some general info based on experience and reading.

It'll be a combination of water temp and time of year. You should hit the post spawn period then, which if you do they'll be in 2-8 of water. This will likely occur when temperatures in the bays are in the 50s temperature-wise. If the bays are cooler still, chances are they won't be in post-spawn yet, so the large females will be in deeper water recuperating from spawning, and if it's warmer the pike will be hanging out just outside the bays during the day and will feed early morning and late evening in the shallow bays.

If you can get a copy (they're no longer printed, but may still be available through Amazon or similar), pick up a copy of Mastering Pike on the Fly by Barry Reynolds. Even if you don't fly fish it's a great resource to learn about pike.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 PM

The flats on Tobin are made up of hundreds of acres of water 2-8 ft deep with deeper channels. Fish can be anywhere. Most of the fishing is done on the main channel ledges. If water isn't too high , it should be good. If staying at the resort , you'll be able to get some tips and spots. Don't forget the walleye !
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Thank's guys!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM