Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Banned

Default ice fishing april 15

first i'd like to thank a fellow AO member (you know who you are) for suggesting a lake that iv'e never been to or heard of. Mon. morning it was of to the rockies. got their around noon right in time for a whiteout blizzard. it calmed down later and stayed warm and overcast all day. ice was sketchy. 16" thick but top 10" white and crumbly. not much time left. i was amased at how crystal clear the water was. you could see your hook on the bottom 12' down. fishing was very slow, only 3 hits in 3 hours so i moved to the shoreline. hooked my first one in 2' of water and she was a monster. i swear she went 8lbs. min. fought her a long time but i couldun't horse her head into position with my 6lbs. test. she finally broke off and though i would have released her it would have made a great pic. lost another 3 pounder when he spit the hook after a long fight. i was smelling a skunk but managed to bring a small 13" home for supper. had the lake to myself again except for 4 whitetail deer who had little fear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ea153.jpg (28.0 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg ea152.jpg (37.5 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg eai51.jpg (23.7 KB, 265 views)
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM

I have been looking for a decent place to fish, care to share?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 AM

Looks like a nice quite spot Yes only a short time left for the ice,was out on an aerated lake last week and there was lots of open water. A local guy came out then went home for float tube. Way to cold for me Thanks for all the posts this winter and better luck next year on your hunt for that 25lbs + monsterpike

Red Neck Out