Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 PM

Unhappy A Couple of Newbie Questions relating to Hanmore lake

Hi all,

I am new-ish to fishing. I used to go every year with my dad to Fawcett lake and Pinehurst but for the past few years, I never hadthe ability to go. last year, my girlfriend and I started getting into fishing but since we were both a bit inexperienced, we stuck to the trout ponds inand around Edmonton.

Every long weekend, we head to Hanmore lake in the summer. We will be heading there this May long and I'd like to take her fishing for "bigger" fish. I quote that because from what I have been reading, Hanmore seems to be mainly skinny jacks and whites.

is there any locations that you'd know would heighten our chance of catching something? we mainly shore ffish but do have access to an older ski boat and an inflatable boat.

what should I look for? for pike and whites? would the water be warm enough that the white would have headed for deeper water?

what would you recommend for tackle? any other General tips would be greatly appreciated by the both of us.

sorry for the length of the post but I'd really like to be a bit successful.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 AM

also, I do have copies of maps of hanmore including the depths
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM

My experience at hanmore is the whites are next to impossible to catch in the winter let alone in the spring, and they will most likely be deep. The pike on the other hand are numerous although mostly small. Also the recent change in regs as of last year put a lot of pressure on the pike and your best bet for catching (especially a larger one) is early in the morning and just before sunset. Sunset especially seemed to be better for me. As for size and location the usual for both. Many small pike with the odd one over 63cm and even rarer is the pike closer to 10 lbs. try weed edges and drop offs. This winter I caught them anywhere from 5' to 55'.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Lake is infested with hammer handles.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM

i have been going to ahnmore for many years the fish are getting smaller by the year i talked to fish and wildlife and they dont understand whats happening . this lake used to have some huge fish it is a deep and very clear lake last year they allowed a limit of two pike any size and the lake got owned each time i went last year there was alotta boats takin advantage of the new limits inbetween the main lake and the peninsula part is a great drop off and thats where we got most of our bigger fish but that got hit hard i highly doubt any big fish remain imo the lake needs to recover in a bad way the whites have not shown themselves in years for me anyway but even they were huge pm me cuz me and my gf frequent the area and we know of a good lake near there i wouldnt bother with hanmore for awhile the fish are like three pounds and short you might find descent perch but not in may for pike look around some shallow flat areas close to deep water in the morning any big fish would likely be around these areas at sun up and i suggest a boat for this lake good luck to you guys if ya do make it out
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
My experience at hanmore is the whites are next to impossible to catch in the winter let alone in the spring, and they will most likely be deep. The pike on the other hand are numerous although mostly small. Also the recent change in regs as of last year put a lot of pressure on the pike and your best bet for catching (especially a larger one) is early in the morning and just before sunset. Sunset especially seemed to be better for me. As for size and location the usual for both. Many small pike with the odd one over 63cm and even rarer is the pike closer to 10 lbs. try weed edges and drop offs. This winter I caught them anywhere from 5' to 55'.
X2...... I was there about 6 times this winter and caught around 80 pike, not one of which was over 5lbs. Did not see any whites but caught a burbot which was a suprise and a bunch of 4"-6" perch. Its a lake I can take the old lady to and she wont be bored but as for size there are better lakes around.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the responses all. A 2 lbs pike will be more exciting than nothing. Pm is coming your way Chris.

Last year she just used my tackle but is interested in getting her own box set up. Any "must haves"? I have a bunch of spoons and a few jigs for her.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Lenny number 2's !!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 PM

Mons lake isn't far from there and it used to have big pike in it.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."