Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Default No more barbless hooks in Alberta?

Did you guys read the 2013 Regulations? What are your thoughts?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishGuy07 View Post
Did you guys read the 2013 Regulations? What are your thoughts?
Lots of threads on this already....usually turns into an ethical debate.....

.....no comment

LC
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM

I'm glad it's no longer law to use barbless hooks. It's not that I won't continue to de-barb, but it depends on the circumstance.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Banned

Finally we can get back to rippin lipz!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Since someone created yet another thread on this thought I would comment here. It says the barbless removal was on accident and will be back as soon as possible, is that known to be true? I find it surprising that something like this could accidentally get taken out...
Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Thank you, everyone, I just got the regs and didn't realize that this discussion has been going on forever I apologize for creating this thread. If I could close it, I would.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Banned

My better half was raised in the phillipines and loves to fish as I do. She believes that fishing is a method of putting food on the table, as I do. Our ancestors fished for that very same reason (I am Metis).
My wife and I refuse to fish in rivers that have catch and release so we limit our fishing expedition to stocked lakes and reservoirs. We both purchase our licenses and take our five trout out a day. As far as catch and release in these water bodies, I see no reason why the barbless hook requirement need to be used in these locations as the fish are to be consumed anyway. Just my thoughts here
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
My better half was raised in the phillipines and loves to fish as I do. She believes that fishing is a method of putting food on the table, as I do. Our ancestors fished for that very same reason (I am Metis).
My wife and I refuse to fish in rivers that have catch and release so we limit our fishing expedition to stocked lakes and reservoirs. We both purchase our licenses and take our five trout out a day. As far as catch and release in these water bodies, I see no reason why the barbless hook requirement need to be used in these locations as the fish are to be consumed anyway. Just my thoughts here
I hope you're eating all 5 of those trout before you go catch more.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I hope you're eating all 5 of those trout per day.
.....five per day of fishing ....is different than five per day.

.....I would imagine he and his family are eating them and to insinuate he is not is not very becoming of a sportsman.

"Put and take" ponds are there for this reason as he stated......to catch small trout and eat them, if that is your thing have at it!
LC
Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
.....five per day of fishing ....is different than five per day.

.....I would imagine he and his family are eating them and to insinuate he is not is not very becoming of a sportsman.

"Put and take" ponds are there for this reason as he stated......to catch small trout and eat them, if that is your thing have at it!
LC
Page 18, specifically provincewide maximum possession under Catch Limits. I didn't intend to call him a poacher just making sure he's aware.

Quote:
All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the provincewide maximum possession that must not be exceeded.

Last edited by ssyd; 04-11-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Page 18, specifically provincewide maximum possession under Catch Limits. I didn't intend to call him a poacher just making sure he's aware.
Yes I'm fully aware and we do eat all 5 trout before or next outing. We get out maybe once or twice a month (last season, I got out once due to work).and during our time inland, we consume all the trout caught.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm fully aware and we do eat all 5 trout before or next outing. We get out maybe once or twice a month (last season, I got out once due to work).and during our time inland, we consume all the trout caught.
Good man. You'd be surprised how many people have no clue and just assume that as long as they only catch X number of fish per day they can just load their freezer.

I just misread your statement about keeping your 5 per day. I assumed you lived near a trout pond and went every day. I meant no disrespect. You know what they say - when you assume you only make an ass outta u and me!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Banned

The whole barbed/ barbless thing smacks of "political correctness" and as far as i'm concerned, political correctness is diplomatic tyranny.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good man. You'd be surprised how many people have no clue and just assume that as long as they only catch X number of fish per day they can just load their freezer.

I just misread your statement about keeping your 5 per day. I assumed you lived near a trout pond and went every day. I meant no disrespect. You know what they say - when you assume you only make an ass outta u and me!
No Disrespect taken mate!!
I could never see the reason why barbed hooks have to be used on "put and take" reservoirs and lakes, since the fish are intended to be killed anyway.
I remember seeing a young mother and her 5 year old son out at east pit lake one day about 5 years ago, the poor kid had a micky mouse float in the water and was absolutely bored with fishing. My wife and I were off the shore about 20 meters and I heard him say to his mom, "That lady and man are catching all the fish!"
My wife and I had just caught two nice trout on the water boatman patterns that we were using.
I kicked over to talk to that young boy and his mother. I put a casting bubble on his line and a water boatman pattern that I tied up below his casting bubble. I taught him how to use that rig and in no time he was hauling in fish.
His Mom was so happy she started to cry.
The poor kid was using worms on a barbless hook and they would simply slide off when the hook hit the water. As far as I see it, the barbless rule just turns kids away from fishing because of situations like this.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Well done Trooper! Nice to have people like you around!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Banned

Ya, that whole episode still brings a lump in the throat. I hope that youngster stayed with this sport.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
No Disrespect taken mate!!
I could never see the reason why barbed hooks have to be used on "put and take" reservoirs and lakes, since the fish are intended to be killed anyway.
I remember seeing a young mother and her 5 year old son out at east pit lake one day about 5 years ago, the poor kid had a micky mouse float in the water and was absolutely bored with fishing. My wife and I were off the shore about 20 meters and I heard him say to his mom, "That lady and man are catching all the fish!"
My wife and I had just caught two nice trout on the water boatman patterns that we were using.
I kicked over to talk to that young boy and his mother. I put a casting bubble on his line and a water boatman pattern that I tied up below his casting bubble. I taught him how to use that rig and in no time he was hauling in fish.
His Mom was so happy she started to cry.
The poor kid was using worms on a barbless hook and they would simply slide off when the hook hit the water. As far as I see it, the barbless rule just turns kids away from fishing because of situations like this.
Thats rightttttttttttt.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:00 AM

Anyone know how to rebarb a hook?

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I'm glad it's no longer law to use barbless hooks. It's not that I won't continue to de-barb, but it depends on the circumstance.
Agree with this. If I'm catching to release then no barbs, if I'm catching to keep then I might be tempted
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safcforever View Post
Agree with this. If I'm catching to release then no barbs, if I'm catching to keep then I might be tempted
Or another example of using judgement is if I'm fishing for pike with a spoon with a treble hook on it, or if I'm using a #16 dry fly. I'm debarbing the spoon, but not the fly in most circumstances.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Funny thing now. I have about 500 hooks in my tackle boxes and only about 20 of them still have barbs LOL. Not gonna replace them all now. Think most people will be barbless most of the time for a few years.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM

This issue will be discussed further at the Roundtable this weekend
in Red Deer
Old 04-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Anyone know how to rebarb a hook?
I think I saw re-barbing kits at Cabelas and TFH...lol
Old 04-12-2013, 03:11 PM

The ridiculous thing about the whole barb/no barb legislation is that it may be rescinded... again! Obviously there are many fishermen who are not yet even aware the barbless rule was nullified, if F&W overturn it & put it back in the books, it will take years to clear up the confusion & get everyone informed again.

Like a lot of people here I probably use barbless hooks 95% or more of the time anyway but think it should be a personal choice, not a law.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
The ridiculous thing about the whole barb/no barb legislation is that it may be rescinded... again! Obviously there are many fishermen who are not yet even aware the barbless rule was nullified, if F&W overturn it & put it back in the books, it will take years to clear up the confusion & get everyone informed again.

Like a lot of people here I probably use barbless hooks 95% or more of the time anyway but think it should be a personal choice, not a law.
Exactly!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:29 PM

since most of my favorite hooks/lures have no barbs - I don`t care )))
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post

I like Saskatchewan's stance on barbed hooks. They are allowed except at catch and release lakes(for which they have different types with reduced limits) with the odd other exceptions.

I think barbless should also be mandatory if you are fishing for protected species like Sturgeon and Bull trout(although Bull trout would be a little difficult to enforce).
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Good idea for the catch and release lakes to help out the fish from some folks.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM

Fisheries and Oceans amended its legislation to allow fishing with barbed hooks and Alberta's regulations were amended to reflect the changes made by the Federal Government