Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Sure makes sense:
watch what a given wind value/direction does drift-wise to bullet Y shot in MY rifle at velocity X (guessing that's what the 2 sighters in a match are probably for), then adjust hold or reticle accordingly.

Is the "Rule of Square of the distance" concept (read about this wind drift estimating method on 6mmBR) valid in real-life long-range F-class or full-bore matches, in terms of getting on paper ?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Sure makes sense:
watch what a given wind value/direction does drift-wise to bullet Y shot in MY rifle at velocity X (guessing that's what the 2 sighters in a match are probably for), then adjust hold or reticle accordingly.

Is the "Rule of Square of the distance" concept (read about this wind drift estimating method on 6mmBR) valid in real-life long-range F-class or full-bore matches, in terms of getting on paper ?
Typically yes, anything concerning bullets in flight is the same from one dicipline to the other as long as the same distances are being being shot that are in question.
The problem of course, is that ballistics and math and other such stuff work very well in theory or "on paper" as it were, but as soon as you get onto a range, they can be used only as a guideline, because stuff like light, mirage, windshifts and other such gremlins come out of the woodwork!!
Of course, if you have ever taken a shot at a gopher at say, 400 yards, only to see you bullet strike way left when you have a LEFT HAND wind, you already know what I mean!

Wind is one of the main reasons we get worked up, tear hair out ( or just plain lose it!), and generally get old before our time.
But then, that is why I love shooting palma guns so much !
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-08-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Info on other dates

Inspector
This sounds really good, however I too must work this weekend. Are you going to post on here when the next one would be held?? I'm very intrested and have a few buddies that would be too. Hopefully we will see the next dates posted on here.

Thanks Mike
Old 05-08-2008, 08:03 PM

Mountainmike, this is from post 21 in this thread. Inspector posted the full season's schedule, including all matches and championships:

Saturday June 14th- One or two day free clinic / new shooter day (to be determined) based on interest
Sunday June15th - One Day Fullbore Practice and Wind Coaching Exercise. ($5.00 per participant)

Saturday July 26th - One or two day free clinic / new shooter day (to be determined) based on interest
Sunday July 27th - One Day Fullbore Practice and Wind Coaching Exercise. ($5.00 per participant)

Saturday September 20th - One day free clinic / new shooter day (to be determined) based on interest
Sunday September 21st - One Day Fullbore Practice and Wind Coaching Exercise. ($5.00 per participant)

These offerings are a superb opportunity to improve one's marksmanship,
and no doubt to meet interesting and skilled folk.
I should be able to make one of these, and hope that many
others show up as well.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Default Range day

Hi everyone, I just talked to the guys after the Free clinic Saturday and it apparently was a huge success. 18 new shooters turned up to what was a bit of a trudge with all the snow still remaining but none the less they had a great time. Not sure who all came out but hopefully a few of the members on this forum showed up and saw what actually goes on. If not, we hope to see you all come out for the next one.

I'm still busy with work and trying to get set up for the Washington State Palma Championships next week. Time flies when your having fun.
Cheers, Glen
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Default It was a blast !!!! ( Literally)

I was there Glen............Jeep Rubicon and the 7mm Ultra Mag (Yup, I have some bruises ) but it was fun. I'm thinking that Henry is gonna have to throw a new barrel on my Sendero sooner than expected, and possibly building something else a little lighter in recoil for the paper punching !!!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 PM

Glad you enjoyed yourself, bruises and all. You'll probably notice there's a bunch more 6mm whatevers than big Ouch & Ouch magnums in the game. I remember trying anything to cut the recoil down on a light 308. I just bolted a piece of babit on the rail. As long as your not over 22lbs your fine. Ugly but it didn't hurt as much after.

Shooting 5 or 6 rounds from a bruiser is something most people will tolerate. 60 to 80 rounds in a match is a whole 'nother thing isn't it.

I missed the shindig but Ontario need my tax dollars. Car parts ain't selling so they need the dough to keep the cottage open for the summer.

See you on the next one. Are you coming to the rescheduled John Howard Memorial May 24th and 25th?

Cheers, Glen
Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM

Ouch and Ouch magnums !!!!
LOL