Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: Sako 85 or Tikka T3
Sako 85 71 67.62%
Tikka T3 34 32.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 AM

Default Tikka vs Sako

Gents,

I'm new to the Alberta Outdoorsmen Community here. I've been reading a lot of good stuff on this website.

I'm going to purchase a new Hunting Rifle probably in the next few weeks.

I'm thinking of a Tikka T3 or a Sako 85. Either one in Stainless Laminte (GreyWolf)

My Question is, Is the Sako 85 worth the extra $600?
I'm the kind of guy who will most likely keep this rifle for life.
I've shot a Tikka several times and enjoyed it but have heard even better things about the sako.

I'm interested to hear what you all have to say!

Thanks,

Brú
Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 AM

i have a tikka 22-250 and love it every other tikka ive shot has been just as great, sako has a better action and magazine if you ask me but is it worth $600? thats one you will have to decide
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Banned

you may not appreciate the extra build quality right away as most guys need to own a bunch of low grade shooters before they learn appreciation for the nicer built stuff......at least thats how it was for me.....as long as it shot i didn't care about the rest....but now its different and i much prefer the total package....accuracy AND nice build quality and higher attention to detail, materials, function etc.

so....if you can afford the sako then my vote is go for it....but even though i'm starting to really like the nicer stuff.....tikka is still pretty dang nice....i say its best bang for buck going....the sako adds luxury....but if you ask me the tikka is luxury over any savage or rem sps...tikka is a pretty great little gun and doesn't hurt as much to scratch it up etc....

its like this.....base model gmc work truck vs the new fully loaded gmc denali.....or a honda accord compared to an acura tl.......all of them excellent vehicles but you got your workin mans rig and then the luxury unit...good luck with your choice
Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 AM

Get a Sako and forget about it. If you get a tikka you'll always wish you got the sako.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 AM

i have a tikka and wouldn't trade it for the world
Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 AM

I have a Tikka T-3 and I also have a Sako Vixen. If you can afford the Sako, there is no doubt they are nicer rifles. That being said, the Tikka will perform just about as well as the Sako rifles will. I voted for Sako, but if you buy the Tikka, your budget (unless money isn't something you need to worry about) will allow you to spend more on a good quality scope.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 AM

Like a lot of people I've got a mixture of lower end firearms and some nicer stuff. I don't really have any high end stuff although a couple of projects ended up costing a fair bit. I would have been better off just buying the higher grade in the first place.

I can tell you without a doubt though that I don't regret having spent the extra money for a rifle or shotgun that I can give to my kids when they are old enough. You won't feel the extra $600 ten years from now.

I won't rule out selling my basic blued synthetic T3 but some of the "expensive for me" rifles I've got, won't be sold in my life time. I'm hoping if I raise my kids right, that they won't be sold in their life time either.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:23 PM

Thanks Guys for your input...
I'll make the final choice probably when I have the guns in my hand.
But judging by the poll... Most guys think the Sako is worth the extra $600 & I agree M70... some day when and if I have kids, I'd love you be able to pass things like this down.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 PM

I have the Sako 85 and love it, smooth action and well made....I went with Sako because this rifle is now with me for the long haul to the bitter end. I felt that I would be happier with the better quality rifle and the chances of me selling it are alot slimmer that way. The cost is too much if you are buying and selling guns, you loose out in the long run.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:53 PM

were is the clik box marked " neither"
just kidding,
between the two...sako.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM

I have a Sako 85 and even when you're not shooting it, it is a joy just to handle ; a true piece of fine machining. I prefer the more open receiver and metal clip of the Sako. They are both fine weapons but if you can justify the price, the Sako will certainly be a weapon that you will have a hard time putting down.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Default Sako / Tikka Rifles

I personally prefer the model 75 over the 85 (Stock) but thats me. The Tikka T3 are great shooters and good value for your money.

I have a few Sako m75's and 2 Tikka T3 in the laminate stainless. If you can get past the plastic clip on a T3 as some people cant. If you want to savea few $$, go for the Tikka T3. With the $$ saved maybe put it towards the scope.

Another consideration is the new Sako A7 rifle. Should be about $1000. They have a 5 shot group MOA guarentee.

I heard they will be in Canada by late summer. The Americans have them already.

Here is a link to the Sako A7 site

Hope this helps.

Sako A7 Rifle
Old 04-20-2008, 03:34 AM

If you're getting the laminate, the Tikka is the best choice. The only bad thing about the Tikkas are the ones with synthetic stocks, don't soak up any recoil. Seriously, no need to blow $600 on a name. Tikka rules. Can you say tack driva?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:33 AM

You didn't say what caliber you want or what kind of hunting you are interested in, and nobody that replied asked you either, but lots of advice came along. Rifles don't know what brand they are. They are all made from steel and wood or plastic. There isn't one that is better than all the rest. If there was, "all the rest" would go out of business. More important is the glass on top. I have a Tikka T3 Lite 22-250, with a Leupold VX-L (4.5x14). The Tikka was about $830, and the Leuplod 'scope was about $1605 with rings and mounts. (I had a Tasco 6-24 scope on it before. It worked, but had very poor light transmission.) I set up the Leupold with seven shots, and then whacked a fox at 360yds with the very next shot. Buy a decent gun, but save the big money for a good scope. The rule of thumb for centerfire rifles is, if your scope cost less than your gun, then you either bought the wrong gun or the wrong scope.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Gone Hunting

If this will be yours only rifle than make it good one.
My Father used to say " I am to poor to buy cheap things"
Meaning that if you buy cheap you will be buying again...
I have a friend that has very limited income but loves to hunt so he has Sako 75 SS and Leupold LPS on it??? Gun 1500 scope 1500 and he is not thinking about ever needing other gun. His binoculars are Swarovski EL 10x42.
His Sako is in 300 Weatherby Magnum (most powerful 300 when he got it)
So here we go with caliber. I think that in laminated SS version 300 Win Mag would be good choice. (I would go with 300 RUM or 7 mm RUM due to power option on those calibers but they are not provided by Sako)
If you would start with Tikka I think they have sale in CT in Calgary on MacLeod till today.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 PM

The end result of your hunt will never, ever be effected by choosing one over the other. Save the 600 and use it for 5 tanks of gas to scout your hunting area more often. That will have a bigger effect than a Sako over a Tikka. Or just by the Sako, your rich.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:45 PM

Default Sako

Get the Sako, you won't regret it.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brú View Post
Is the Sako 85 worth the extra $600
Yes. The fit and finish is excellent and they shoot very well. The Tikas shoot too but they have plastic actions/magazines and only have one action length. That is fine if you buy a 30-06 full length action but not so good if you go for a calibre in a short action.

On the down side, I don't care for with Sako or Tika is the scope mounting system. It is strong but big and bulky looking. In Alberta, you often have to order the size you need, whereas with a Remington, pretty well every place sells a Leupold mount that fits in any height and any finish. The other issue I find is that the Sako rifles tend to be on the heavy side. After a long day of hunting, that can be a drag.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 PM

Sako all the way if the 600 is not an issue, i was dead set on buying a t3 last year untill i went to the store and handled both units. Decision was not a problem then the sako just felt better and i didnt want to put it down....
Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 PM
jrs

The deer don't care if you spend the extra $600, they fall over either way
Old 04-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
The deer don't care if you spend the extra $600, they fall over either way
If that was all gun selection was based on then you may as well pick up an old Lee Enfield 303 and nothing else....

He needs to go in and handle both and see what he likes better and make the decision, we can't make it for him, just offer alot of opinions.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM

Well, as much as I love my T3 Hunter (in .243) with Leopold FXIII 6x42 I broke down last weekend and bought a Sako 85 (in 7mm Rem Mag) with yet another FXIII 6x42 (I love that fixed power scope). I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, hope to soon.. but I disagree with the scope price comment.

I'd be hard pressed to find as nice of fixed power scope as that loupy currently topping my Sako and Tikka.

As much as I love my Tikka, especially after I had alberta tactical glass and pillar bed it, I knew my next rifle had to be a Sako.. especially knowing it would be the last hunting rifle I'd ever need to buy.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brú View Post
I'm the kind of guy who will most likely keep this rifle for life.
Be careful about that idea. You might also become one of those guys that rolls his expanding gun inventory over constantly. I thought I only needed one shotgun and one centerfire a couple years ago. Already abandoned that idea LOL

I sense there is a range of views on guns... from "It's a utilitarian tool" to "It's a thing of beauty". Sort of depends on where you are.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:47 PM

when I looked at that decision I ended up with the Sako. It felt better for me and it's a thing of beauty. I didn't like the weight and the balance of the Tikkas I was holding; it's a personal thing though.

Also, how much is $600 for you right now?
That's a personal decision too.

As I said I went with the Sako and that's the only rifle I have used hunting since. I posted a photo in the "favourite rifle" thread.

Right now though I would probably also wait for the A7 to be available. The guys who where at the Shot Show and saw it all liked it a lot.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:25 PM

Bru,

I was in your shoes last fall and had hard time deciding between the same two guns.....Guess what I did?..........I bought both!!!

I bought Sako 85 in 300 WM for all of my big game hunting &
I bougth Tikka T3 in 22-250 for small game.......(today I shot a beaver at 120 yards with Tikka 22-250 and it didn't move an inch)

$600 extra for Sako is definately worth spending.....You won't regret it....Get the Sako.....
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM

What kind of hunting ?
In magnum calibers the Sako is 1lb heavier than the Tikka.

That's a ton if your sheep hunting.

After my first sheep hunt I couldn't get rid of my Rem 700 laminated fast enough.
I ended up with a Tikka T3 Lite and my shoulders really appreciated it.
I've always loved the Sako's for their quality and feel.... just too heavy for my kinda hunting.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:25 PM

My first half of my hunting 'career' was using an inexpensive remington pump with a bushnell scope, and it served me well, tipping over a wide variety of game - but as soon as I could afford some luxuries in life, I bought a Sako topped with a leupold - and that'll last me for the second half!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 PM

What's a Sako 85 worth these days ?
For not much more you should take a look at the Weatherby's.
My next gun.... Weatherby Mark V ultra-light
Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 AM

Sako 85 is about $1600.
I did look at the Weatherby's and they are beautiful guns.
I Love the action on the Weatherby's.
Its the cost of ammunition that seems to be high for me,
like 5-6times the cost of comparable loads.
I don't reload yet, maybe some day.

Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the Sako, I almost bought one but they're out of stock right now. So I've still got some time to think.

Thanks to all the guys who've posted thoughts and opinions on this thread.
Next I'll be asking about Glass... and I know that'll be interesting.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:08 AM

I just shot my new Sako 75 in .300 Weatherby for the first time yesterday at the range. Wow ! Is all all I can say. I'm very impressed with this gun. It didn't take long to settle in and manage decent groups 1.5". I can only imagine how well it would shoot if I wasn't flinching........lol. What really amazed me was how well it shot out to 350 yards. As for the price of ammo, it wasn't all that bad. The 180gr sp Weatherby's were $50 a box and the 180gr interbond Hornady's were $39 a box.........