Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-13-2008, 05:39 AM

Default Refinishing stock

i am going to repaint my rem sendero stock and was looking for any short cuts or tips any one out there may have. i think that krylon paint is the way to go, just not sure which type? since it has got the speckled finish from the factory how will this affect the final look when i paint over it? should a person clearcoat it or is the paint tough enough? thanks
Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 AM

PM Bushrat.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-13-2008, 08:37 AM

Default stock

Make sure to sand and degrease old surface,paint at least 3 coats, and use 3coats of matte clearcoat.allow plenty of drying time between coats.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 AM
gitrdun

This is what I did with this one: Sanded down and cleaned with acetone. Three coats of Krylon white as a base. Drained Krylon black out of the spray can to airbrush the stripes. Coated with 3 or 4 clear coats. Even Krylon takes several days to fully cure, not just dry. So place the stock in a safe place and don't be to eager to reassemble.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:16 PM

The main tip is take the time to prep the stock properly, sanding with 300 grit sandpaper to ensure good surface roughness for good paint adhesion. While krylon will certainly work, it is much less durable than products specifically intended for firearms. To do a proper job, one worthy of a Sendero HS stock, dura coat or arma coat is the way to go IMO - the stuff is specifically designed for long lasting durability, but it is more complex to apply (airbrush or HVLP gun). Here is a recent dura-coat job I did.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 AM

I remember having a nicely painted rifle in drab olive. It was done (properly) by Dave Henry. I could not believe how many people would ask me why I painted my gun green. Then they would blab on for a moment and come full circle. I liked it, but tiring of the illuminati, I had it painted matte black. Voila, no more stupid comments.

Nice job on yours. A very good looking gun.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:42 AM

do you think i should sand it lightly or just wipe it down with acetone? any one know of somthing that would remove the factory paint yet not eat the underlying stock?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 PM

Default stock damage

To find a compatible stripper or see if something will not damage it, remove your recoil pad and put a very small dot on the bare stock, wait to see if it sodtns the material. If it does, do not play with it, the solvent will dry with time and the softening will undo itself. For a good start point, go to your local body shop, they should be able to tell you which chemicals you can use that will not damage a composite stock, but still try the small spot test.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 PM

Thumbs up Stocks

Painting stocks is a lot of fun and easy. Additionally, the sky's the limit in terms of colors and design. Here's a Bell & Carlson stock off an LVSF that I added to my SPS 204.
It's Krylon Sandstone. Clean the stock well with TSP, or a good solution of water and vinegar, and you're off to the races.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM

No need to remove the factory finish, paint on paint is the best adhesion.Pre-clean first with a wax/degreaser, sand it with 220grit,scotch brite all the nocks and cranies,blow it off,prep wipe, tack it and spray. Not sure of the paint you plan on using but from experience I would go with a good quality 2 part/epoxy paint, those rattle can sprays just don't stand up, especially in snow/wet conditions. I found some old automotive Lacquer that was used for faux vinyl tops back in the days, sprayed my varmint rifle as well as my 10/22 (over wood) and that stuff is bullet proof!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Painting stocks is a lot of fun and easy. Additionally, the sky's the limit in terms of colors and design. Here's a Bell & Carlson stock off an LVSF that I added to my SPS 204.
It's Krylon Sandstone. Clean the stock well with TSP, or a good solution of water and vinegar, and you're off to the races.
Pred I love this stock. That is exceptional! Are you looking to do any for others? ........hint, hint......

Where did you find the paws? Again congrats on a fine looking stock. I need an envy emoticon.