Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Exclamation A reminder from the South Country Trappers!

Just a reminder to those of you who were interested in joining our group to think about sending in a cheque for your membership. $25.00 single or $40.00 family. Only licensed trappers will be eligible to vote. Make cheques payable to South Country Trappers, and mail to:

Kelly Simpson
Box 385
Longview, AB
T0L 1H0

Of course, you can wait till the next meeting , likely next March, and pay then.The executive is planning a meeting with our ATA Zone Directors this Saturday, weather permitting. I will post the results the following week. Thank you!!!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM

All are welcome to join and you don't have to be a trapper. If some of you are interested in the trapping circle this is a good way to get your foot in the door .
I'm in Calgary if you would like more info.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 PM
AO Sponsor

Hi Folks,

I appreciate your efforts in trying to get the southern trappers organized and into a local. However, I do have a number of questions. My understanding of how the ATA works is that a local would be formed as a part of the ATA. However, it is my understanding that this was not done, instead you have formed a whole new Trappers Association and have an elected board?

I would assume this is not done nor is widespread throughout the province. I do recall hearing about Sundre having it's own association and was in the dark as to whether this was a new way of organizing the ATA, or if it was a completely separate entity.

This confusion is my own fault, I have been out of the loop for a number of years. Somebody please fill me in, and ideally not an individual with some nasty jaded outlook or agenda!!! I was unable to attend the initial meeting due to previous engagements.

If you have formed a separate entity that is foreign to the Alberta Trappers Association, why has it been done this way? Why is this not a Local of the ATA?

I did write a cheque and was about to join, but I figured I better first ask some questions, especially if this group is separate/non-affiliated with the ATA or in opposition of the ATA.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Banned

Velly interesting Marty, velly, velly interesting.....
nothing jaded here, just a point of view that I had not heard of b4
Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 AM

At the meeting it was decided to WAIT until more information was gathered about the ATA and what joining up with them can do for us. Remember that they had the opportunity to attend and chose not to at the last minute. This did not sit well with some of those in attendance. We also wanted to chat with the guys in the Rocky and Sundre locals to get their take on things, which Jim plans to do this week before Saturday. We know there have been disagreements between the ATA and these locals and we want to understand why. There is likely a good chance we will officially become a local, but I cannot say definitively at this moment. Stay tuned and we will post the result next week.
If any one else has opinions, please post them so I can tell the executive about them on Saturday. Thanks!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
AO Sponsor

I hadn't really rendered an opinion, but was simply asking questions. My opinions are as follows:

Change should always come from within an organization, not from outside. Together we stand, divided we are conquered. I highly recommend this group to immediately change from association status to ATA local status. I doubt that the government will take this association seriously, but if it becomes an extension of the ATA, that would change immediately.

It is also my opinion that it is wrong to lead the southern trappers in a manner that alienates them from the ATA. Any changes that the southern trappers would desire down the road would likely be met with resistence by the ATA, instead of supported.

I was of the belief that the original meeting was to form a local of the Alberta Trappers Association, it is very unfortunate to see this group go the direction that it has. I plan to attend your next membership meeting, likely putting my money on the table so that I may speak and vote.