Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM

Default illegal cabin on my line

There is a big trapping cabin on my line built illegally srd knows about it and have done nothing what should I do??
Old 10-24-2011, 06:45 PM

claim it as your own? leave a note ? find out whos it is and ask him what he thinks hes doing? back in the day, traplines have been sold that wernt even theres in the first place.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Where abouts?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM

why do you ask?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM

Burn the sum bitch to the ground.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
why do you ask?
Just curious.. General area would suffice, or a PM if you please.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM

What you do is put a trail cam up so you could see who is going in the cabin built on your land and let them know your keeping it and thank them for building it on your land
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
Burn the sum bitch to the ground.
In theory, good idea. But imagine the repercussions. You'll probably get your own cabin burnt down too.

Are they trapping? It is probably the best idea to go speak with them.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Have you taken photos? If so... can we see? The internet might help fix this for you. I dunno, I just want to see pics of this jerks illegal cabin.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM

It is north of slave lake I know who he is talked to him once his line is west of mine it has limited access so he decided to build it on mine,not to sure what to do if I make a big stink about it then I will be worrying about my cabin traps etc
Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
What you do is put a trail cam up so you could see who is going in the cabin built on your land and let them know your keeping it and thank them for building it on your land
It is not my land shawn just my trapline
Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
It is north of slave lake I know who he is talked to him once his line is west of mine it has limited access so he decided to build it on mine,not to sure what to do if I make a big stink about it then I will be worrying about my cabin traps etc
That does make for an interesting situation, that really sucks for him to have put his cabin there without even asking or discussing it with you before he did it.......
Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
That does make for an interesting situation, that really sucks for him to have put his cabin there without even asking or discussing it with you before he did it.......
Yeah it is even more frustrating when fish and wildlife have known about it for a year a won't do a thing about it
Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 PM

It shouldn't be your problem...it should be fish and wildlife's problem. If they aren't going to do anything go over their heads or tell them you're going over their heads. I bet things will change.

If all else fails call Pearl...lol
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 PM

That is just wrong. F&G need to step it up.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

I have a cabin built just on the edge (???), of my trapline boundary line. Could it be that either of you are not exactly sure of your boundaries. Stranger things have happened. Furthermore, it does take a while for any govt operation to get it together, F&W included, espescially with the man power they have at their disposal.
In our neck of the woods, there has been several cabins burnt but that was done by a dept from forestry--- THEY are good at burning things....
Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 AM

Just out of curiousity (sorry, I'm in no way familiar with trapping or running a line), does the cabin being there affect you negatively? I mean, as long as he's not trapping on your line, is the cabin's presence itself affecting your ability to trap your line?

What repercussions are available to you? Are there regulations in place that prevent this sort of thing from happening? Are they in place just to prevent someone else from trapping your line, or from physically infringing on it in any form?

Sorry if the questions sound stupid, as mentioned it's all new to me.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I have a cabin built just on the edge (???), of my trapline boundary line. Could it be that either of you are not exactly sure of your boundaries. Stranger things have happened. Furthermore, it does take a while for any govt operation to get it together, F&W included, espescially with the man power they have at their disposal.
In our neck of the woods, there has been several cabins burnt but that was done by a dept from forestry--- THEY are good at burning things....
No doug I am very aware of my boundries it is right in the middle of my line no even close to a boundary
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM

It is on your line therefore it is only supposed to be your cabins on it. It is like saying i can come build a cabin up there just because i have a line here 4hours away whats the difference? He should have been talking with you in the first place and maybe work something out. Is it moveable? I know a lot of work goes into these things and if it was burnt down there will be some hard feelings for sure. I hope things work out for you maybe SRD will come through eventually. The only thing i can think of is if it is the best way to enter his line then it may have been allowed by SRD to be put there as a stay over cabin going to and from his line????
Old 10-25-2011, 07:17 AM

He might have a one acre lease agreement with the SRD.
I have seen that before, but then they should notify you.
Burning is not the way to do it, causes hard feelings.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM

Default illegal cabin

It is illegal to have that cabin on your line, and the local F & W boys should be on it, as I'm sure they are doing some homework first. I would be in that office VERY often until there were some answers forthcoming and they were tired of seeing my ugly puss walking in the door.
Maybe just contact the "burnt forest department" directly. As was stated earlier, they will know how to light it up.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 PM

What are the rules with building a cabin on crown land? Is it illegal to build one if you don't lock it? Or is any un approved cabin illegal no matter where it is?
I am not a trapper and we were up moose hunting in the peace region and had a trapper quad into our wall tent camp and said "I just wanted to see who was camped on my trap line"..... Trappers have no say where we can and can't go/ on there trap line right?

Mike
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM

was it there when you first got your line going? or was it built afterwards?

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 10-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
There was a fellow who built cabins on my and a neighbers lines. Not for trapping, they were for outfitting from.
F&W and SRD would do nothing, , , , , because cabins are Forestrys jurisdiction, as we found out.
Forestry would remove them if we wanted, they told us, but they suggested that we claim the cabins, which is our right, according to them.

We opted to have a talk with the outfitter instead. We worked out a deal.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
What are the rules with building a cabin on crown land? Is it illegal to build one if you don't lock it? Or is any un approved cabin illegal no matter where it is?
I am not a trapper and we were up moose hunting in the peace region and had a trapper quad into our wall tent camp and said "I just wanted to see who was camped on my trap line"..... Trappers have no say where we can and can't go/ on there trap line right?

Mike
No you can't build a cabin on crown land unless its on your trapline, door locks have nothing to do with it (wrong Province). Trappers can not tell where you can and can't go. He was probably checking things out in case of vandelism,theft, littering..... or maybe he was just starting up a conversation and coming to meet you guys.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
No you can't build a cabin on crown land unless its on your trapline, door locks have nothing to do with it (wrong Province). Trappers can not tell where you can and can't go. He was probably checking things out in case of vandelism,theft, littering..... or maybe he was just starting up a conversation and coming to meet you guys.
Good to know....probably was I was just curious.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM

So where is this bad boy?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

We opted to have a talk with the outfitter instead. We worked out a deal.
Excuse Me---You worked out a "DEAL". I, honestly believe, "we trappers" would like an explanation, if you might...
Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 PM

Default trapper checking up

Just for the record, if someone is camping on the trapline, I always swing by and say hi, and let them know where I'm at and what I'm doing. Doesn't hurt to make an appearance, as long as I'm not disrupting a hunt. And the campfire coffee usually hits the spot.
As a trapline holder, we are just another land user, same as the hunters, forest and oil companies. We're just after different things.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Just out of curiousity (sorry, I'm in no way familiar with trapping or running a line), does the cabin being there affect you negatively? I mean, as long as he's not trapping on your line, is the cabin's presence itself affecting your ability to trap your line?
That's what I was wondering. If it is, I'd press F&W to take action. If it isn't, then just ignore it. You've done your duty by reporting it.