Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Web site developement?

How easy or hard is it to set up a web site. What is the cost to have a web site.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Banned

I pay around $50/yr to run my own website but it's a lot of work. Not sure how much people pay for professionals to do it for you.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:08 AM

It all depends on what you are looking to do. Easiest method would be to use WordPress along with a predesigned theme and modify it to your needs. Very cost and time effective.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:52 PM

Depends what you want / need. Check out www.amethystanswers.com. Christina is very good.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

Godaddy's site builder is really easy to use and it worked/works quite well for me. These "professionals" do crank out nicer websites but you're never in full control and you pay through the nose, especially here in Calgary.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:39 AM

Check out Square Space
Old 09-25-2017, 12:32 PM

my site was built by a buddy and I get hosting for about $120/month
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-25-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
my site was built by a buddy and I get hosting for about $120/month
$120 a month? Care to share who the hosting is through and what you're paying for?

Our office uses Host Gator for web hosting and we had my wife build a website using the Host Gator website builder (super simple to use) and used a provided template. We paid $250ish for 3 years of web hosting ($6.95/mo) + $15 per year for the domain.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 PM

I design websites using Wordpress. If you want to make it look professional then find a premium theme (cost about $50US) comes with tech support. Install the demo content, then replace what you need, and delete what you don't. Hosting will run you about $10 US a month, I use InMotionHosting.com
Old 09-27-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
$120 a month? Care to share who the hosting is through and what you're paying for?

Our office uses Host Gator for web hosting and we had my wife build a website using the Host Gator website builder (super simple to use) and used a provided template. We paid $250ish for 3 years of web hosting ($6.95/mo) + $15 per year for the domain.
Yes, but what is your bandwidth limit? High traffic sites need more bandwidth which costs more $$.

As far as the OP's question it all depends on how comfortable you are with learning a new technology. There are plenty of places that allow you to install a CMS like WordPress or Drupal, but you need to spend time learning how the CMS works.

If you do go the template route, pick one that is responsive. Google search now looks at a site's mobile friendliness for search results. Also, for the most part SEO is more or less BS. You need to either pay for top listing or have a site that has an established history and regular content updates. Google's algorithm isn't as simple as just the page that has the most similar and relevant words anymore (nobody even knows what Google actually assigns weights to outside of the company).