Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 05:47 AM

Default Am I the only one who cant sleep before a hunt?

Up before I need to, I cant be the only one? Not many other places I would rather be on a chilly morning. Happens with fishing too. Waiting for sunrise seems like the longest hour(s) ever, but always worth it!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:52 AM

Happens with me for things at work too. Shutdowns, testing, certain meetings.

The minute you quite having these issues it's time to move on.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 AM

I cant sleep any of the time . But then again MACHINES DONT NEED SLEEP!!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 AM

I agree with Dick 284
Old 09-23-2017, 06:59 AM

For me it’s all about the anticipation. Mind gets busy with all the things you need to do, prepare, running through the scenario leading up to the ultimate moment.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:54 AM

No sleep here and it's great. One of the only things I still get excited for. Like when I was a kid and couldn't sleep on Christmas Eve. Mind is racing with the possibilities of the next days hunt. For me the no sleep is a good thing. Rest assured the next night after being out in the woods all day I will sleep twice as good that night. So it evens out.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:59 AM

Interesting subject. I could sleep on a cactus. Only difference between a normal night and a hunt, is I don't swear at the alarm (as much) if I'm woken up to go hunting.

Never did understand the whole "can't sleep" thing, maybe from young kids, but grown adults? Guess it depends if you have ever been in a job where you don't get to sleep. Same with food..."I can't eat because I'm sad/excited/mad" what the heck do feelings have to do with it? Go without sleep or food for 20 hours while working your ass off, for a few days, and it'll fix you right up. Won't ever have that problem again.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Banned

Used to be that way but as I have aged that has subsided. I get something completely different out of my hunting days now than 30+years ago. I can't really explain it well. It's more of a slower, mellow and laid back take it all in appreciation.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:09 AM

I am like that for hunting,fishing or climbs. Early morning appointments. I wake up every hour and look at the clock. I do not need an alarm clock as I will be awake. I have a buddy like that and you go to pick him up in the morning and he looks like crap. You know he never had any sleep. Best not to say much to him for a while.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:20 AM

for me it's just that fear of sleeping through my alarm clock and having my hunting buddies waiting at our meeting spot and getting ****ed when you no-show. No one wants to get up at 4 to have to sit and wait for someone to get their crap together.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Pretty much the opposite from posters above. I will fall asleep before hunting, while hunting, during hunting. I don't use tree stands. I find a comfy spot and warm its lights out. My Dad was the same way.

Dang then ya wake up and its dark and ya don't know where ya are for a bit. Can't help it.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 AM

Ya I'm the same way. I can go to bed at 3am and bang I'm up at 5am. No matter how tired I am. It's like I've developed this internal alarm clock or something. Even on Thursday Morning, I had the alarm set for 3AM cause I got 2 days off, and was heading out early, to be in position before it became light out. I woke up automatically at 2:55 AM.
Been like that ever since my days in the Oil Field.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:25 PM

Lots of times I'm up and at em before the alarm goes off on the morning of a hunting trip.
For work, I'm usually hitting snooze 2 or 3 times.

Opening days are usually the ones where I'm like a kid on Christmas morning...late to bed...restless....up looonnnggg before the alarm.

Odd though....when I'm in camp and sleeping in the trailer...some mornings I could sleep through the alarm, especially when there's a nice breeze and a bit of rain falling...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......" I'll get em on the way back, around ten" zzzzzzzzz.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:53 PM

Great morning with an old friend. Limited out on geese. Taking family to Oiler game, plus heading out again tomorrow morning. Pretty damn good day.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:35 PM

I generally have a bit of trouble getting to sleep the night before I go hunting. It hasn't been too bad the last few years, but with my bull moose draw this year, I'm so stoked about just getting out there and trying to lay down a good moose. I usually have no troubles falling asleep for anything else. It's just hunting that does it for me. I am scared to sleep through my alarm, because I've had a few times where I have woken up and it's light out already.

The anticipation of what might happen is what keeps me awake. The what ifs! I have killed 1000 moose in my head already this year, and I've only hunted for 3.5 days. You're definitely not alone in the lack of sleep before a hunt! I think it happens to almost all of us, in one way or another.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Banned

I’m like that for at least the first hunt of the year. Mainly just going over things in my head. My mind is going over what I put in my pack, trying to remember if I forgot anything, making sure I have my truck packed with what I need, my arrows and release are where they’re supposed to be, etc.