Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-29-2017, 09:02 PM

Default 50lbs for hunting?

Hi everyone.

Here's one for the masses. My usual setup is 62lbs, 29" draw, 445 grain arrow, IBO 333 fps. It's a good combination for me that has harvested many animals over the years.

This summer I was in a motorbike accident that I was lucky enough to walk away from with only road rash and 3 broken ribs in my back. Problem being now is that it has taken a long time for my ribs and back muscles to heal. It's quite hard for me to pull my usual hunting bow now. I do have a back up bow that I have setup to 50lbs that I use to shoot small game (grouse, rabbits, squirrels, etc). I have been shooting that for the last month now trying to get my back muscles back and have no problem pulling it and holding draw.

Question is, is 50lbs enough to shoot a mulee or a whitetail? I know elk might be out this year. This setup will be the same as my regular one except 50lbs, 29" draw, 445 grain arrow, IBO 310 fps. I typically don't shoot anything farther than 30 yards out. That's my comfort range for big game.

Don't want to give up a season. Let me know what everyone thinks.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Yup

It's all about placement and knowing your limits. You will be fine with 50lbs even for elk.

Good luck and go get em

Morb
Old 08-29-2017, 09:22 PM

My wife uses an old PSE single cam. It is set at 40 pounds and her draw is much shorter than yours. She blew through an elk at 40 yards a couple of years ago. You will have no problem.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
My wife uses an old PSE single cam. It is set at 40 pounds and her draw is much shorter than yours. She blew through an elk at 40 yards a couple of years ago. You will have no problem.
But that defies all marketing hype! And now you've posted it on the Internet for all to see and find for years to come!
What arrow weight and broadhead did she use? That's some great real world feedback
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

Minimum draw weight is 40lbs but that doesn't specify compound or traditional gear. If 40lbs on a long bow is enough to take game, 50lbs on what I could assume is a compound, will be enough.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:59 PM

Default All day!

That 40lb line was derived in a time when recurves were commonplace. New bows are well beyond that standard. I hope you have a healthy and enjoyable season.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I know it says 40lbs in the regs but was just wanting to get everyone's real life opinions. Never shot any big game using anything less than 60lbs in the past. Good to know that some people have had pass throughs with just 40lbs.

Got our spot for this season. Looking forward to a couple of muleys (fingers crossed).

Good luck everyone!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:35 PM

Maybe a thought on this but i would try to shoot fixed broadheads if the Kenetic Energy isn't high enough for Mechanicals. Something to consider
Old 08-30-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Maybe a thought on this but i would try to shoot fixed broadheads if the Kenetic Energy isn't high enough for Mechanicals. Something to consider
Thanks. I should be okay. With my setup my KE should be sitting around 75. More than enough to open a mechanical.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
But that defies all marketing hype! And now you've posted it on the Internet for all to see and find for years to come!
What arrow weight and broadhead did she use? That's some great real world feedback
It was a two blade "first cut". Her arrows were those carbon express 200s'.
I used to use them too but I guess they weren't fancy enough for me LOL. They cut big holes The only problem with them was there is a slice and not a flap. I shot a fair amount of stuff with them but one time I blew through an elk and I didn't have any blood on the ground and was frustrated. However the elk collapsed with in my sight. I guess I was seeking a solution to a problem that didn't exist.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:18 AM

OK, I have a bow that I shoot at 50 pounds with a 409 gr arrow and it works fine for deer. I use a 2 blade cut on contact traditional style single bevel broadhead. Draw length is 28.5.
My question is arrow speed.
With last years speed bow, I only get about 240 fps. How do you get over 300 fps.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry G View Post
OK, I have a bow that I shoot at 50 pounds with a 409 gr arrow and it works fine for deer. I use a 2 blade cut on contact traditional style single bevel broadhead. Draw length is 28.5.
My question is arrow speed.
With last years speed bow, I only get about 240 fps. How do you get over 300 fps.
He stated his IBO's were 333 and 310. That does not means he is getting those speeds with his current setup. The OP would need to shoot a 30" draw, 70 lbs, nothing on his string and a 350 grain arrow to reach the IBO speed.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 AM

When Howard Hill was asked for advice when Califirnia was setting up their archery hunting laws way back in the day he stated that a 40 pound now would drive an arrow with a two bladed broad head right through a deer at 20 yards .
That was when self bows and recurves were the only thing you saw hunting
I never doubted that statement ......
Cat
Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodeemus1 View Post
Thanks. I should be okay. With my setup my KE should be sitting around 75. More than enough to open a mechanical.
I know I am new at figuring this stuff out but I would say your not around 75 and quite a bit lower I suspect unless I have been doing it all wrong with my set up. My bow is set at 60 lbs and is quite a bit lower than what you stated and is shooting quite fast as well. My bow is rated IBO at 350 but is getting 288 with Axis arrows and will be getting a bit more with the VAP arrows I have now.
I think they recommend 65KE for Mechanical broadheads is why I brought it up.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:05 AM

My buddy has shoulder problems so he made himself a 40# longbow, he's killed two moose an elk and numerous deer. Lower poundage just means you'll have to get a bit closer.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I know I am new at figuring this stuff out but I would say your not around 75 and quite a bit lower I suspect unless I have been doing it all wrong with my set up. My bow is set at 60 lbs and is quite a bit lower than what you stated and is shooting quite fast as well. My bow is rated IBO at 350 but is getting 288 with Axis arrows and will be getting a bit more with the VAP arrows I have now.
I have found this calculator below to be accurate for my arrow speeds. If you have a peep sight add about 25 gr to the string. I have nothing on my string but add 15 gr to get a solid calculation. If you have string silencers you'll add even more.
http://archerycalculator.com/estimate-bow-speed/

Once you have the speed you can use the KE calculator (tab at the top of the page).
Old 08-30-2017, 10:25 AM

I was mistaken. I misread his post. I overlooked the IBO rating.
In any case, I have taken a number of deer with my 50 pound set up. I do limit the distance to under 30 yards.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Those are the numbers I get when I punch it into the Archery calculator

http://archerycalculator.com/archery...um-calculator/

445 grain arrow at 277 fps. = KE 75
VAP Gamers with Grim Reaper Razor Tips
Old 08-30-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
My buddy has shoulder problems so he made himself a 40# longbow, he's killed two moose an elk and numerous deer. Lower poundage just means you'll have to get a bit closer.
I figured it was ok. Just wanted some assurance as I don't normally shoot big game under 60lbs. Just gonna be a few muleys and whitetail this year anyways. My comfort range is 30 yards so it should be fine. I'm not a Cameron Hanes kinda guy where I feel comfortable shooting an animal at 70 yards pulling an 80lb Hoyt.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:44 PM

Where are you getting the 277 from? I get 277-280 with my 335 ibo bow and 445 gr arrow, I would think 310 ibo would be less
Old 08-30-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Those are the numbers I get when I punch it into the Archery calculator

http://archerycalculator.com/archery...um-calculator/

445 grain arrow at 277 fps. = KE 75
VAP Gamers with Grim Reaper Razor Tips
I would be very surprised if you are getting 277 fps. My Darton has an IBO of 350 fps and I am getting 293 fps at 68 lbs and 29" draw with 460 grain arrow. My Hoyt was a 340 IBO and I was getting 280 fps with 66 lbs and 29"draw with a 435 grain arrow.

If i punch your numbers into a arrow speed calculator in the link below and add 20 grains for d-loop and peep, your speed should be approx 228 fps.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:26 AM

Maybe the 277 is coming from confusion with the calculator stating peak bow weight. It should say to type in actual draw weight. Not many bows are exactly at the labeled peak weight
Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I would be very surprised if you are getting 277 fps. My Darton has an IBO of 350 fps and I am getting 293 fps at 68 lbs and 29" draw with 460 grain arrow. My Hoyt was a 340 IBO and I was getting 280 fps with 66 lbs and 29"draw with a 435 grain arrow.

If i punch your numbers into a arrow speed calculator in the link below and add 20 grains for d-loop and peep, your speed should be approx 228 fps.

Whoops. My bad. You guys are right. Punched in the wrong number.

Will throw a 3 blade Muzzy on it to not have to worry about a mechanical opening.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Will throw a 3 blade Muzzy on it to not have to worry about a mechanical opening.
Good choice on the broadhead; tough and proven performer.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Wait... This is an online forum. Aren't you supposed to defend yourself and make it look like an error wasn't made and even try to blame us and then we ramp up the argument until at least 5 users are banned and 2 more are suspended?

Good luck with the hunt!
Kinda makes me think buying 70 lbs bow in the future is pointless.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Wait... This is an online forum. Aren't you supposed to defend yourself and make it look like an error wasn't made and even try to blame us and then we ramp up the argument until at least 5 users are banned and 2 more are suspended?

Good luck with the hunt!
Kinda makes me think buying 70 lbs bow in the future is pointless.
Ah right. You guys are all a bunch of d*cks. Thanks for nothing. Shouldn't have even bothered asking you losers.

Is that better?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:46 PM

lol I felt bad for mentioning the broadhead thing but I think if they don't function for you then you would have been more dissapointed. Good job at sticking with it and seeing if it would work or not. Like I said I am not a pro but I figured it would be worth checking into it and see if it would be o.k or not. Hope you do well and find out the muzzy's work well for you. I couldn't get them to fly as great in my bow as the broadheads i am using.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:12 PM

Hahahaha too funny. Woke two of the three kids at the hotel laughing at that.