Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Dog Days Of Summer | Pond Fishing for Trout!!

https://youtu.be/R5BvNbHo7ZI

Visited one of my favorite fishing spots the other day. A private pond known only as Pond X. You might recognize it from my Canada Fishing Challenge Video (Linked below).
https://youtu.be/X-2-3ettjIQ

I was forced to slow things down considerably this time. Leaving my casting rod behind to finesse a few brave Rainbows out with various flies and a small artificial worm dangled on a dropshot.

The few I landed put on a good show for us though so I hope you enjoy. I'm working on my next video at the moment so stay tuned to watch me catch my first Walleye and Pike from the North Saskatchewan River!!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM

Another great video...well done!

Your videos...and your fishing...keep getting better and better.

**Spoiler Alert**

I was surprised when you put the hopper on. And even more surprised with the take.

I would have thought that it was a bit early for hoppers.

Looking forward to the NSR video.

Keep up the great videos.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post
Another great video...well done!

Your videos...and your fishing...keep getting better and better.

**Spoiler Alert**

I was surprised when you put the hopper on. And even more surprised with the take.

I would have thought that it was a bit early for hoppers.

Looking forward to the NSR video.

Keep up the great videos.
You'd be surprised, some fly-fisherman claim success with hoppers from early spring all the way to late fall. I myself have caught trout on hoppers in late October.

Went down to the river once with the plan to fish nymphs, but I forgot my bobbers at home. So I tied a hopper on instead, much to my surprise, an 18" brown rose and hammered the hopper. Must have been trying to pack-on the pounds for winter, it had a juvenile fish hanging from it's mouth as well.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
You'd be surprised, some fly-fisherman claim success with hoppers from early spring all the way to late fall. I myself have caught trout on hoppers in late October.

Went down to the river once with the plan to fish nymphs, but I forgot my bobbers at home. So I tied a hopper on instead, much to my surprise, an 18" brown rose and hammered the hopper. Must have been trying to pack-on the pounds for winter, it had a juvenile fish hanging from it's mouth as well.
That is a great point JR .

I too have used a hopper with a nymph dropper on the Bow and the hopper is excellent as a strike indicator.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post
That is a great point JR .

I too have used a hopper with a nymph dropper on the Bow and the hopper is excellent as a strike indicator.
Thanks!

I actually saw my first grass hopper today so maybe I wasn't too far off lol. Still need to learn how to fish nymphs though. That's one aspect of fly fishing i have no experience with.