Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-30-2017, 07:27 AM

Default Rendezvous

The Rendezvous starts in about..... well actually breakfast started a half hour ago.
Hope to see you there.
Doug
Old 06-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Might stop in after work.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:54 PM

Where is it held this year?
Old 06-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

WTF is "the rendezvous" ?

Mind filling the rest of us in ?

Old 06-30-2017, 06:21 PM

In High Level

http://www.albertatrappers.com/show.html
Old 07-01-2017, 06:37 AM

Hopefully a nice central location next year. High level and pincher creek are kind of the extremes. Have fun to all those attending!!!!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:01 AM

Default cantral location preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Hopefully a nice central location next year. High level and pincher creek are kind of the extremes. Have fun to all those attending!!!!
Agreed !!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:09 AM

I've heard that there will be an announcement soon regarding next years Rendezvous and that it will be more central.
That being said, the High Level crew has done an amazing job here . Fridays attendance was, I'm guessing, about 400 and Saturday is always busier. The ATA store has wonderful sales and the staff are doing great. The demonstrations are great as usual, the food is terrific, lots of youngsters skinning squirrels with more youth stuff today, the silent auction is amazing (gonna be hard to top that in the future) and my favorite the Ladies Skillet Toss, very entertaining with lots of entries and spectators. Unfortunately we missed the Fire Starting With Exploding Bean Can contest last night. A huge shout out to the High Level crew!
Old 07-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Thanks very much !

I hope to attend this someday, like T-Moose mentioned when it's a bit more central.

Hopefully Olds area or even Red Deer would be easier to attend for the entire province.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Thanks very much !

I hope to attend this someday, like T-Moose mentioned when it's a bit more central.

Hopefully Olds area or even Red Deer would be easier to attend for the entire province.

It's in westlock
Old 07-02-2017, 01:27 PM

Had a great time, met up with some forum members, and looking forward to the coming season again!
Location was perfect, us northern guys usually miss out. Lol
Old 07-02-2017, 05:46 PM

I'd say by the attendance numbers ( 550+ at Supper last night ) that the High Level rondy was a smashing success. Northern trappers came through in a big way and put on a stellar event. Well done and congrats to anyone who helped put it together. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

I too missed the bean can mortars... but I hear they went 150" in the air! A new tradition is born I suspect! And how about that 17 year old kid winning the coyote skinning contest at under 3 minutes and Gordy Klassen winning the beaver in under 4 minutes. Wow!

Marty put on a good seminar on his snare system and i picked up some good tips, thanks for sharing Marty.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Thanks very much !

No, once it is central then the north and south will complain about the drive is all. We go to every Rendezvous. Great chance to meet new people and even better see some new country! The same old backyard gets boring after a while.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:10 PM

Default Rendezvous

Myself and my son attended as well. First off congrats to the High Level local for a top notch event. The 5 hour drive to get there was worth every minute for the two days of events. Food was great, events well planned and seminars very beneficial. Great information shared and the skinning demos very well setup. Once again, thanks to all who made this happen, you've certainly raised the bar for future rendezvous weekends.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 PM

Glad to here that it was well supported!! I'm stuck at work and hoping I will be able to attend next year.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:13 PM

Another great event with all kinds of demos. Some entertaining speed skinning we had young Garrett skin a coyote in 2:34 and Gordy 2:36 on a beaver. We even had Dennis skin his first beaver ever in 8 minutes with holes!

Looking forward to seeing what Edmonton local and the ATA crew done in Westlock next year. It doesn't matter where it's held people will have to travel and the ones that truly want to attend will.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 PM

Question for those that have attended a Rendezvous in the past few years. Is there anything that you'd like to see more of or less of?

You can PM if you'd like.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Glad to hear of the good turn out and fun times had by all.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:06 PM

Rendezvous was AWESOME!! For those of you who have never attended, you're cheating yourselves out of an incredible time. Put 400 trappers and their families together and look out!! Haven't missed one in years and I'm already looking forward to next year's. This is the best event put on by an outdoors organization by far. Congratulations to the ATA... I've never been so proud to be a member. Trappers are the best!
Old 07-05-2017, 01:23 PM

For those that aren't familiar, the rendezvous moves around. In recent history it has been in High Level, Pincher Creek, Plamondon, Drayton Valley, Grimshaw. Stettler, Hinton and Lloydminster. It is usually hosted and organized by an ATA local.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:32 PM

Saturdays banquet had few empty seats. The crew in High Level did a great job and it was nice to see that part of Alberta in the daylight for once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0823.jpg (88.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 AM

My first rendezvous was in Drayton Valley. I have family their I figured it was like any other boat and sportman trade show. Just a bunch of salesmen trying to get you to sign up for a free hat draw so they can harass you later. It wasn't at all. We only went for the day. We didn't realize that it was a two day event.

I was blown away with the demos, the great trapping folk, speed skinning, and watching the UTC (ultimate trapper competition) they had to carry a beaver thru a mud pit. What a lot of fun. Me and my bro were hooked. Met a lot of friends that live across the province and in different provinces. I alway come away learning a new trick or tip to make things easier or better.
I didn't make it this year. I had a fight to GP picked out but my work schedule made things difficult and being a contractor you don't say no to work in these times. So my brother made the trek. He said it was great some old friends some new folk it's just great.
I'm glad marty showed up. Too bad I wasn't there to give him a hard time about something. Hahaha
Once you go for the full weekend you'll be hooked and show darn near every year. The food is always great some talented caterers out there. The rendezvous only gets bigger and bigger every year.
I'm kinda ****ed that I missed it.

If you have an old lady that doesn't want to go... go with out her. Some of you guys might sleep on the couch for a week but it's totally worth it.