Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-20-2016, 04:44 PM

Default Trapping marten.

I pulled my bear bait today, when I was checking my camera I had a marten come check out my bait. I'm really excited about it and I was curious what dimensions are your marten boxes so I can make a few up. I'd rather make them then buy them, just who I am. Can you message me a quick and eligible blue print? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Gone Hunting

I could give you dimensions of my boxes but that might not work the best for you.

There is more then one way of using Marten boxes and that means more then one style of box.

I use a vertical box that is nailed to a tree trunk, others use a horizontal box on a pole. Each requires different box dimensions and different brands of traps have different dimensions that require different box dimensions.

It is possible to make a one size fits all box but they have limitations when used with some traps.

What I do is cut my box sides half an inch wider then the width of the set trap I am using.
Depth can be whatever you prefer. I like a box roughly eight inches deep.

I slope the lid and cut the sides accordingly. To hang the trap I use two shingle nails spaced so they catch the corners of the set trap.

This hold the trap at right angles to the tree until it is triggered at which point the jaws swing up and away from the nails and leave the trap free to fall away from the box.
One last thing I do is nail my boxes right beside a stout branch. That way I can wire the chain well out on the branch in such a way that the catch swings out away from the trunk and is left hanging clear of everything.

I find this greatly reduces rodent damage and reduces fur damage caused by the animals thrashing as it dies.

The bottom is open of course and I staple a course screen material four inches below the lid to form a bait compartment.
The lid can be hinged off the back or pivoted on a nail driven into one corner of one side. I prefer to hinge the lid.

The end result would look somewhat like a bird net box with no bottom.

Really dimensions aren't all that critical. The intent is to form a bait compartment and an opening to that bait which contains the trap so that the animal is encouraged to go through the trap to reach the bait.

The pole set works much the same way except a longer box is used because the bait tends to lie on one the bottom side so more space is needed.

I like the vertical box because it is more natural for Marten to climb up a tree rather then climb a sloping pole that leads no where. Plus I think it disperses scent better. And Squirrels like those sloped poles a bit too much for my liking.

I also make a pole set but it does not employ a box for the trap and bait.
It's simply a horizontal pole between two trees with half a beaver for bait wired to the mid point. Each side of the bait I set a trap suspended on nail heads. I posted pictures on a thread here previously so if that set interests you a search should lead you to drawings I made of that set.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-20-2016, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the response. Much of my questions have been answered, appreciate the help, I mostly just snare coyotes for farmers but wouldn't mind starting to trap other animals to.

Have a great night, best of luck this season.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:39 PM
Banned

You don't really have to use a box. One can use a run pole with a 120 set on it, with some bait on the upside of the trap. protect the bait from birds with branches, etc. Tie off your trap so the martin falls free but not to the ground. The higher the better.
I just noticed that Keg said much the same as me.....but sometimes he gets so long winded, I don't read all of his jibber/jabber..hahaha
Old 11-21-2016, 03:59 PM

Yes. Good idea, that would work too! Haha I can't complain about his reply, it's for sure the longest and most informative response I've gotten on AO
Old 11-21-2016, 09:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
You don't really have to use a box. One can use a run pole with a 120 set on it, with some bait on the upside of the trap. protect the bait from birds with branches, etc. Tie off your trap so the martin falls free but not to the ground. The higher the better.
I just noticed that Keg said much the same as me.....but sometimes he gets so long winded, I don't read all of his jibber/jabber..hahaha

Ouch! LOL It's a defense mechanism from having too many posts misunderstood.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Banned

I hear you Keg..I've done the same. I find it hard to tell a "short" story as well