Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2016, 10:11 PM

Question Line memory out of the box normal?

Hey guys, I usually fly fish but recently bought myself a spinning rod to get back into it.

I bought some 8lb line to put on my reel but it seems to have memory straight from the box. Does this mean the line I bought is old and I should return it, or is this normal???

Thanks
Old 06-21-2016, 10:29 PM

Line memory is completely normal and to be expected with either mono or fluoro, just give it a stretch and it will go away. That is largely why next to no one that is big into fishing uses these types of line as their main line anymore and why almost everyone uses braid with a fluoro leader now.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:31 AM

X2
Old 06-22-2016, 09:00 PM

Default Line Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydup View Post
Hey guys, I usually fly fish but recently bought myself a spinning rod to get back into it.

I bought some 8lb line to put on my reel but it seems to have memory straight from the box. Does this mean the line I bought is old and I should return it, or is this normal???

Thanks
Been using mono line for over fifty years and some is better than others; but nowadays that should not be an issue unless the line is over 20lb test or really inexpensive. I have been using 4, 6 and 8lb test in Berkely Trilene for over 30 years and no issues with line memory. I mostly fish trout streams and use Berkely Sensation or Vanish and have no issues other than with the Flouro line. With any mono just make sure it comes off the spool easily and reasonably tight when loading your reel and don't overload the reel spool
Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM

It is normal. First time out on the lake with it let out most of the line into the lake behind the boat without a lure on it like you are trolling without a lure. The line will straighten right out.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydup View Post

Thanks
If what you bought was fluorocarbon you will certainly have Line memory issues but Rav said give it a stretch and it will be better.

Mono now like Anthony said is much better but does depend on which formulation you purchased. eg Trileene XL (extra limp) does not have much memory problems but XT (extra tuff) on the other hand will certainly have some. And cheap stuff is just crap period.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
If what you bought was fluorocarbon you will certainly have Line memory issues but Rav said give it a stretch and it will be better.

Mono now like Anthony said is much better but does depend on which formulation you purchased. eg Trileene XL (extra limp) does not have much memory problems but XT (extra tuff) on the other hand will certainly have some. And cheap stuff is just crap period.
And by cheap he means mono
Old 06-23-2016, 04:24 PM

I still love maxima ultra green, has to be the best mono out there along with suffex elite but there a little pricy. I run strictly braid & floro leader now so memory is a non issue. Off the spool I'd be concerned........on a reel especially a new one u might have a short term issue that goes away with use. I took a couple on a guided trip and he insisted on using a rod & reel combo and the line was so bad it flipped a loop around the reel and he broke off a fish not once but twice! Then it was back to my tackle.

Last edited by fluxcore; 06-23-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
And by cheap he means mono
Many big fish have been lost due to the no stretch of braid ! Many big fish have been caught due to the sensitivity of braid.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 PM

I soak my lines in water over night that eliminates all your problems it's like a good marinade.I learned that trick from a magazine many years ago