Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM

Default Crankbait storage?

So I did a little tackle organizing last weekend, and it seems like I've acquired quite a bit of tackle over the winter. This is all fine and good as I like shiny things, but once I got it all sorted I realized that I could fill my whole large tackle bag with just my trays of cranks

Is there a way to store cranks that's more space efficient than trays, or am I stuck picking and choosing just a couple trays for a given outing, or packing 2 tackle bags? I've seen trays made specifically for cranks before, but do these save space, or just keep them untangled?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM

Geezle the curse of the shiny fish hooks has reared it's ugly head there as well huh? I ended up buying a 5 - 3700 size tray bag and dedicating it solely to cranks. Best I could think of.

The hanging tackle bags I have seen were more for the big lures for pike/muskie but should work for cranks as well. No idea how well they work though.

Very interested to hear what others have done/do.

And if no suitable solutions are found, I will gladly store your cranks in my boat!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Geezle the curse of the shiny fish hooks has reared it's ugly head there as well huh? I ended up buying a 5 - 3700 size tray bag and dedicating it solely to cranks. Best I could think of.

The hanging tackle bags I have seen were more for the big lures for pike/muskie but should work for cranks as well. No idea how well they work though.

Very interested to hear what others have done/do.

And if no suitable solutions are found, I will gladly store your cranks in my boat!
That's mighty sporting of you John!

I've got 2 small trays, 4 big ones, and a large double sided one loaded up...and after I was done I stumbled across a few more cranks still in their packages!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 AM

You need some wally divers to add to that collection...

Look up special Mate tackle boxes, there awsome

Always willing to help where I can Geezle. Just the way I am!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
You need some wally divers to add to that collection...
There's lots of things that I still don't have in the collection...

I'm scurred

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208prov View Post
Nice boxes, where do you buy from? By their page shows one dealer in Canada in Ontario. Is that the closest we have here in Canada?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:30 AM

I have broken my tackel up into 4 types or applications. Summer boat fishing wich is two larg soft tackle bags. Summer river fishing one larg hard tackle box of bait rigs,floats and inexpensive cranks and such. Winter big game fishing a larg tool box and trays from princess auto,spoons jigs, more cranks. Winter pan fishing small tool box with same stuff just much smaller? So as you can see I am a bit like a crow,if its shinny I got to have it All in all when my dad and I head out no matter what we have a truck or boat load of "stuff" so who is catching who with what

Red Neck Out
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post

I'm scurred
Just keep buying trays and soft bags, sooner or later you'll come up with a way to decide what your taking out on a given day. That or you'll just pack it all with you and trip over it continuously...
Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Just keep buying trays and soft bags, sooner or later you'll come up with a way to decide what your taking out on a given day. That or you'll just pack it all with you and trip over it continuously...
I think the second option is the most likely!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 AM

I don't think there's anything more efficient than tackle trays.
Often you can get two lures in one section without them tangling too much.
Or you can put an elastic band around the trebles (if it has two sets) and then you can store them all in together. Or use treble keepers. http://www.jdmtackle.com/product_vie...product_id=645
Old 04-16-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
I don't think there's anything more efficient than tackle trays.
Often you can get two lures in one section without them tangling too much.
Or you can put an elastic band around the trebles (if it has two sets) and then you can store them all in together. Or use treble keepers. http://www.jdmtackle.com/product_vie...product_id=645
I do have a few that are doubled up where I can, but there are a number that are just too big for that. As i accumulate more they'll have to stack up I'm sure.

I think they might make a tackle bag one size larger than the monster I use now...

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM

If you want to be more efficient...don't put 1 crank in a spot. Usually I try and stuff 3-4 in each spot.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
If you want to be more efficient...don't put 1 crank in a spot. Usually I try and stuff 3-4 in each spot.
I could maybe clear up a tray like that, but I always need room for more...I like shiny things

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 AM

Here is the technique I use now for my small to medium sized crankbaits, works surprisingly well and saves a ton of space.

http://www.lindnermedia.com/angling-...h-lure-banding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6o3UeEss0

Last edited by cube; 04-16-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 AM

at cabbellas there is an awesome tackle bag with a major amount of trays id bet youll even have more room to get moreand its like a gym bag so its easy to carry
Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 AM

One of the best alternatives I've found is the "thin" series 3700 trays, and more specifically, the ones with the angled dividers (CDS series).

http://www.planomolding.com/product....ID=138&PID=734

Using the thin boxes still lets me keep most of my cranks at 1-2 per spot so they're easy to see and don't get tangled. The real beauty of them is you can fit twice as many trays into each tackle bag.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Here is the technique I use now for my small to medium sized crankbaits, works surprisingly well and saves a ton of space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6o3UeEss0
I've been doing this for a few years now and I really like it. It works.

It's time consuming at first and not real practical to be constantly doing it out on the water, but it's time well spent when you're sitting watching TV and getting ready for the next fishing trip. At least you start the day with a well organized box.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

I'm going to get either a big sheet of foam or a 4'x2' sheet of magnet, stick it to the wall and just cover it in lures and such. Then when I plan to go somewhere I just pick the lures I want and leave the others at home.

I have experienced shoreline theft to the tune of about $700 in lures, so rarely do I travel with much more that I want to use out there.

The trays have become a problem at home too, and the numerous boxes and the crazy assortment of lures,, so I figure if i can see them all at once, I'm saved!

Spinners are another pain in the arse, so they're getting magnetted too.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
I'm going to get either a big sheet of foam or a 4'x2' sheet of magnet, stick it to the wall and just cover it in lures and such. Then when I plan to go somewhere I just pick the lures I want and leave the others at home.

I have experienced shoreline theft to the tune of about $700 in lures, so rarely do I travel with much more that I want to use out there.

The trays have become a problem at home too, and the numerous boxes and the crazy assortment of lures,, so I figure if i can see them all at once, I'm saved!

Spinners are another pain in the arse, so they're getting magnetted too.
Corkboard works well. Used to have two big corkboards nest to my front door for that purpose. Problem being, I'm lazy and hardly ever put the lures back after fishing.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Crank storage

X3
Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208prov View Post
http://specialmatetackleboxes.com/box4-dividers.html
Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm scurred
I cant help but notice a complete lack of Hot n' tots as well as Thin fins. I could have probably thrown a few in for you if I had known.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
That's mighty sporting of you John!

I've got 2 small trays, 4 big ones, and a large double sided one loaded up...and after I was done I stumbled across a few more cranks still in their packages!

if you ever sell any of your tackle, pm me first.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I cant help but notice a complete lack of Hot n' tots as well as Thin fins. I could have probably thrown a few in for you if I had known.
No worries Cal, at least now I have something specific to look for next time I feel the need to buy something shiny And thanks again for hooking me up with that stuff! I just remembered I should leave you feedback

And Thin Fins...are those lipless cranks sort of like a rattlin' rap but thinner?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
if you ever sell any of your tackle, pm me first.
I think you might have to get in line!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

You need to either do more doubling up or get some more cranks. I'm seeing alot of extra space in those trays If your hauling that many tackle trays around they may as well be crammed right full. Plenty of room for some Hot 'n tots, Wally divers, and Thin Fins.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
You need to either do more doubling up or get some more cranks. I'm seeing alot of extra space in those trays If your hauling that many tackle trays around they may as well be crammed right full. Plenty of room for some Hot 'n tots, Wally divers, and Thin Fins.
Oh there will be more

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
One of the best alternatives I've found is the "thin" series 3700 trays, and more specifically, the ones with the angled dividers (CDS series).

http://www.planomolding.com/product....ID=138&PID=734

Using the thin boxes still lets me keep most of my cranks at 1-2 per spot so they're easy to see and don't get tangled. The real beauty of them is you can fit twice as many trays into each tackle bag.
X2. I have a ton of cranks in these, and all 12 trays fit nicely in a Plano soft-side.