Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Default Need some help locating a scotty rod holder

Hey fellow fishing fanatics. I am looking to buy a scotty 388 rod holder setup for my SOT fishing kayak. Here's a link to the one I'm after: http://scotty.com/fishing-gear-equip...Baitcaster.gif

I will be passing through Edmonton and Calgary this weekend, and should have time to make a detour in either city to pick one up. I'm hoping to avoid wasting countless hours searching sporting goods stores. If anyone knows who has these, that would be great. BTW, they are not on the Bass Pro, west marine or Cabelas sites. I *HATE* trying to shop for anything on the WSS site, the store in GP never has anything from the site, and the site never has anything from the store. Thanx in advance for any leads.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Phone ahead. Check/phone the Fishin Hole, Wholesale Sports, Cabelas and Bass Pro in Edmonton and Calgary. You can get the ph. numbers from their online sites. Hope that helps.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Default checked the websites

I have checked the websites for WSS, BP, Cab's, TFH, West marine, and none of these sites have them. I'm thinking if they don't show them on the webites, I can probably save myself the phone calls. Canadian tire has some scotty stuff, but no pics on the site. (a trip to CT is 2 or 3 hours depending if I go east or west). I doubt very much the 16 year old kid who answers the phone in sporting goods will know what I am asking for. I was kind of hoping someone can give me a "hot tip" as to where thay have seen one of these for sale (recently), so I can call, confirm, and snag one as I blow through town. Thanks in advance to anyone with some info.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Banned

EDIT - Not the type that you were looking for.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM

Kevin or Terry at the fishin' hole - south location will know what you are talking about, will see if it's available at another location, get it, set it aside and ensure it's waiting for you ready to go when you arrive.

In Edmonton on 51st ave.

Last edited by EZM; 04-09-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM

The fishin hole had them in Calgary. but it was just the arm(I bought one when I was up there last week). Then you can buy whatever type of rod holder mount you want to go with it. It was $32.95 item # you want is 3869639. Call Edmonton store or Calgary, they will be able to set you up. It is called the Extended Gear-Head Mount. That should get you goin.

Ask for Kelly(Calgary store). I think there was one or 2 left. Calgary store# is 403-291-3655

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 04-09-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM

Theres your hot tip.^^^^
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM

NABGuy: If I may, I suggest you consider the Folbe fishing system instead of the Scotty.

I have used and owned several different rod holder systems, and have put many of them to the test - head to head. The Folbe Advantage system beats any other rod holder out there; with performance, ease of use, and customization. Folbe isn't very well known here in Canada, they are a small family company based in Seattle.

Last year, I hired two guides over two days on the Fraser River to chase White Sturgeon. Both guides were stellar, but... One guide was "in the know" and had his boat outfitted with Folbe Advantage rod holders, the other guide had his boat outfitted with Scotty Power Lock rod holders.

Our hit to hookup ratio on the boat with the Folbe system was more than double that of the Scotty system. The Advantage with the Folbe rod holders is, you don't need to release the rod from the holder to set the hook, with two motions. Like the video on their website shows, when you get a hit, grab the rod - set the hook - and release the rod from the holder - all in one motion.
When fishing Sturgeon, if they feel you muddling with the rod while they are hitting your bait, they spit out the bait immediately. Using the boat with the Scotty rod holders, it was difficult to set the hook and release the rod in one motion, while still achieving a positive hookup. This head to head comparison sold everyone on the boat with Folbe rod holders by results alone.

Take a look at their website. http://www.folbe.com/

I just placed another order from them, and it arrived on my doorstep in two days. All my rod holders are Folbe Advantage, with extensions like you are searching for. They are built in the USA, and built to last. You will not be disappointed at all with the performance of any Folbe product.

Here is the Folbe Advantage: Check out the video, it accurately demonstrates how the system works.
http://www.folbe.com/fishing-rod-holders.html

Definitely worth considering putting on your kayak: less time fumbling to get your rod in and out of the holder, ease of use and much better hit to hookup ratio. Just my two cents, I am very happy with all of the Folbe products I have purchased and more than keen to share the good word. (evidently!)
Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Looks like the orca rod holder by scotty.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Last year I was looking for rod holders from scotty, none in town, called scotty and they gave me a number to a guy on the island, got it in 2 days shipped. Try calling Scotty directly if you can't find it in town
Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
NABGuy: If I may, I suggest you consider the Folbe fishing system instead of the Scotty.

I have used and owned several different rod holder systems, and have put many of them to the test - head to head. The Folbe Advantage system beats any other rod holder out there; with performance, ease of use, and customization. Folbe isn't very well known here in Canada, they are a small family company based in Seattle.

Last year, I hired two guides over two days on the Fraser River to chase White Sturgeon. Both guides were stellar, but... One guide was "in the know" and had his boat outfitted with Folbe Advantage rod holders, the other guide had his boat outfitted with Scotty Power Lock rod holders.

Our hit to hookup ratio on the boat with the Folbe system was more than double that of the Scotty system. The Advantage with the Folbe rod holders is, you don't need to release the rod from the holder to set the hook, with two motions. Like the video on their website shows, when you get a hit, grab the rod - set the hook - and release the rod from the holder - all in one motion.
When fishing Sturgeon, if they feel you muddling with the rod while they are hitting your bait, they spit out the bait immediately. Using the boat with the Scotty rod holders, it was difficult to set the hook and release the rod in one motion, while still achieving a positive hookup. This head to head comparison sold everyone on the boat with Folbe rod holders by results alone.

Take a look at their website. http://www.folbe.com/

I just placed another order from them, and it arrived on my doorstep in two days. All my rod holders are Folbe Advantage, with extensions like you are searching for. They are built in the USA, and built to last. You will not be disappointed at all with the performance of any Folbe product.

Definitely worth considering putting on your kayak: less time fumbling to get your rod in and out of the holder, ease of use and much better hit to hookup ratio. Just my two cents, I am very happy with all of the Folbe products I have purchased and more than keen to share the good word. (evidently!)
I have been using Folbe holders for a few years now, can't beat them IMO. The ORCA is similar but very stiff compared to the Folbe

Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM

Default Thanx for the tips guys

Hey everyone, Thanx for the info. I'm going to make some calls in a minute and I'm fairly confident I will find what I need this weekend. TFG, I checked out the Folbe products, how well do they work with spinning reel setups? I do not use bait casters at all. I see they have a cutout in the middle, but none of their promo material shows them in use with that style of reel.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM

Cabelas has a quick draw rod holder that is branded Cabelas(made by Scotty) that should be suitable for a spinning rod. It is called the quick draw. Scotty has a good selection of rod holders.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernAbGuy View Post
How well do they work with spinning reel setups? I do not use bait casters at all. I see they have a cutout in the middle, but none of their promo material shows them in use with that style of reel.
I have used large and small spinning reels (eggbeaters), level wind bait caster and trolling reels, and even push button reels in the Folbe rod holders without any issue at all. I do not know of any reel that isn't compatible, or rod for that matter. From large offshore mooching rods, to light weight walleye rods... I have not heard of or experienced any problems.

You will be very satisfied with your decision to go Folbe!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Everything Foble makes is a knock off of Scotty. I am a sponsored kayak angler and with all the new toys from Scotty you can't go wrong. I am back in Red Deer Saturday morning and might have some of these at home. Check at the stores for the baitcasting rod holder and the gear head extender separately if no one sells the set. Also see if they have slip gears, they make for infinite adjustments.

Plus Scotty is Canadian made, not American.

Let me know if you find any. If not I will contact me rep at Scotty and see if we can set you up with what you need.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
Everything Foble makes is a knock off of Scotty.
This is not true - perhaps some research on your behalf would benefit your claim.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
This is not true - perhaps some research on your behalf would benefit your claim.
Have you noticed every thing Folbe makes looks identical to Scotty? The extension arms, posts everything.

Thanks but I will stick with Scotty which has been made in Canada for over 60 years.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
Have you noticed every thing Folbe makes looks identical to Scotty? The extension arms, posts everything.
I am sure that your Scotty team manager wouldn't be very impressed with your public bashing of a small family owned and operated business who barely competes with Scotty's market share.

My post wasn't aimed to argue the merits of Scotty. I suggested a better alternative to what the OP was looking for, from personal experience using both products.

As a former resident of the town Scotty calls home, and having grown up using many of their products, I am now even more turned off their products from your pro staff arrogance - thus conducting yourself inversely to the agreement you have with your sponsor to positively represent the brand.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I am sure that your Scotty team manager wouldn't be very impressed with your public bashing of a small family owned and operated business who barely competes with Scotty's market share.

My post wasn't aimed to argue the merits of Scotty. I suggested a better alternative to what the OP was looking for, from personal experience using both products.

As a former resident of the town Scotty calls home, and having grown up using many of their products, I am now even more turned off their products from your pro staff arrogance - thus conducting yourself inversely to the agreement you have with your sponsor to positively represent the brand.
I was not stating that at all, nor was I bashing another company.

I stated that they are Canadian and that the products made by Folbe are identical but made in the US. I was also replying to the OP who was looking for a Scotty product for his Sit On Top kayak. Since I fish from one as well, I know how great it is to have your gear all interchange perfectly.

If the OP can get what he is looking for with another brand that is great. I just know that Scotty is available in more locations and probably a lot more accessible to him.

It is your opinion that the Folbe is a better option. Either way, I am sorry if my comments were taken the wrong way and I hope that the OP got his rod holder.

If you still are looking for 1, I have a couple at home and I can get more later before my season opens.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Banned

I installed 3 Scotty powerLock rod holders using the glue-on mount (no.341) in my canoe.

Awesome.

The mount for the inflatable looks sweet. might have to pick one up to strap onto the yoke.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:05 PM

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks everyone for all the help. I went with the Scotty setup, for a couple of reasons. One: this rod holder is actually meant for the type of reel I use, so I know it will be held in place and not lost into the liquid abyss. Two: Scotty stuff seems to be more common, I found what I was after in Edmonton, rather than having to pay shipping & wait a while, plus get nailed with duty 6 weeks later. (this cuases my blood to boil). Three: I am going to be using this type of setup for the first time, so flexibility and interchangability in the product are HUGE assets. I'm sure Folbe is a nice product, and I'll keep it in mind down the road, but for now I think the Scotty was my best choice for the application.
MikeZilk, thanks for the offer, but I found what I was after. I'm going to PM you about some other 'yak stuff too.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM

All good NABGuy, what matters is whether will work for you

Glad you found what you were looking for. Best of luck this year, Halibut perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbkA9MtPdcY