Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 AM

Default Outdoor Writers You Love To Hate

Cat and I were talking about Sam Fadala on another thread, and the Cat seems to have some credibility concerns with Dr. Sam.

My vote goes to a hack in the US who got egged awhile back for saying that the AR-15 didn't belong in the sportsman's gun battery and wasn't an appropriate hunting rifle. Jim Zumbo got flogged and pilloried for that and rightfully so, the AR-15 has been tearing up the pea-patch at Camp Perry for years, and several variants are now chambered in calibres that will handle most big game. Everyone should have a black rifle if for no other reason than to pi$$ the gun grabbers off.

What about you? If you had to name an outdoor writer that was 10 lbs of BS in a 5 lb. bag, who would you pick?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 AM

Al Gore.....wait does that count??
Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 AM
chevy427

Any of the writers from Alberta who haven't stood up and spoke against the recent Open Spaces pilot and paid hunting.

Makes me appreciate guys like Don Meredith, Bob Scammel and Neil Waugh though....
Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 AM

TR Michels....

Comes across as a "scientific authority" but ahs no credentials of his own and likes to tout his artcles and research and studies as "scientific" but does not follow the proper methodology to make it a legitimate study and uses pseudoreplication and then write about the results and pass the off as being "scientific" without a proper peer review!...
Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 PM
SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy427 View Post
Any of the writers from Alberta who haven't stood up and spoke against the recent Open Spaces pilot and paid hunting.

Makes me appreciate guys like Don Meredith, Bob Scammel and Neil Waugh though....
Gotta agree with Chevy!!!!
But, if they agree with the program, I guess it would be hypocritical if they wrote against it.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Gone Hunting

"hate" is a little strong a word for my liking. There are a number of writers that I take a grain or two of salt when I read there stuff. Then there are scribes who make a lot of sense in one article and then get off in left field (i think) in the next article.

Sometimes a guy makes a big mistake and steps in it like Zumbo did. I still don't think he should be hung for it. He may realize his error and diserves another chance. He was well respected and well read for a lot of years before his big ERROR.

If I disagree with what someone thinks or says I try not to "hate" the person, just what they have said or done.

Robin in Rocky
Old 05-09-2008, 02:15 PM

I have serious contentious issues with any writer so grossly mentally disturbed as to disagree with ANY thing I believe. This might very well include you Rusty, so watch your back track pal cuz you'll never see me coming.

Bobby B.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Any Outdoor writer, who buys into this manmade Climate Change business and figures it's his job to persuade the rest of us. Sorry, Don
Grizz
Old 05-09-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
Cat and I were talking about Sam Fadala on another thread, and the Cat seems to have some credibility concerns with Dr. Sam.

My vote goes to a hack in the US who got egged awhile back for saying that the AR-15 didn't belong in the sportsman's gun battery and wasn't an appropriate hunting rifle. Jim Zumbo got flogged and pilloried for that and rightfully so, the AR-15 has been tearing up the pea-patch at Camp Perry for years, and several variants are now chambered in calibres that will handle most big game. Everyone should have a black rifle if for no other reason than to pi$$ the gun grabbers off.

What about you? If you had to name an outdoor writer that was 10 lbs of BS in a 5 lb. bag, who would you pick?
IMHO Zumbo made a HUGE mistake saying what he did.
I have no time at all for people who would "slot" themselves or others.
Same as thoise fly fishers who think that unless you ae doing it "dry" you are not fly fishing.
Therer are others , some in the past , some in the present.
I will tolerate most, others I won't.
Not that theyy care anything about some hick redneck from the bush.......

Cat
Old 05-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Apart from content, I appreciate writers who can actually write, who's use of grammar, punctuation, etc. is correct, at the very least. I've read some in "local publications" and wondered "Does anyone actually edit or proof-read the articles in this thing?" It's like a grade 8 student wrote "What I did on my vacation". I'm not perfect, but I don't make my living writing or publishing.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:18 PM

I can say with 100% confidence Bob, that you will NEVER get my scalp.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 PM

Bill Calfee writes for Precision Shooting. The man is probably one of the least talented writers but his articles, though hard to read, sometimes amusing wander all over the place and occasionally touch on the subject of the epistle leaving you with an insight into highly technical aspects of accuracy and gunsmithing that you simply won't find in any newstand rag, his articles would never fit, he takes 10 pages to say what could be written in 2. I'm sure he failed grade 7 english. He is one of if not the most innovative practicing benchrest rimfire accuracy gunsmiths in the last 100 years. He occasionally posts on Benchrest Central under the name 'Kathy', his posts stir controversy, provoke thought, animosity and those threads sometimes span weeks and multitudes of pages.

For those masochists who are into some bad writing but good accuracy/gunsmithing debate, start with this thread about tuners, guaranteed confusion but if you stick with this guy you'll learn something, just not sure what.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51624
Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Apart from content, I appreciate writers who can actually write, who's use of grammar, punctuation, etc. is correct, at the very least. I've read some in "local publications" and wondered "Does anyone actually edit or proof-read the articles in this thing?" It's like a grade 8 student wrote "What I did on my vacation". I'm not perfect, but I don't make my living writing or publishing.

x2

I find it difficult to focus on the content of an article if it is poorly written. It also annoys me when words are mispelled
Old 05-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Jim Shockey - I've yet to read any of his articles which didn't put me to sleep pronto and that is the only good thing I can say about him.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Boddington and worse, Chuck Hawkes. Rehashing the same old BS that was inciteful observation from actually working on things way back in the days of guys like P.O. Ackley, Roy W'by and many others. It got even better with the Internet - talk about self-proclaimed experts stealing bits and pieces from anywhere and relabelling it as original wisdom.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:41 PM

OK, Rusty, now you've done it. You've purposely antagonized me on a public forum. I WAS gonna let this ride but, not now, now I will take your stinkin' filthy scalp and post photos of my triumph. I will be waiting, and waiting, and waiting, always close by, until you slowly tire and finally allow your guard to slip enough for me to close in. You know I mean BUSINESS. Be warned, I've quit my job so I can devout all my focus, all my energies, on you. I will bring you DOWN. And when I do, you will NEVER write another outdoor article again. NEVER. Do you HEAR me? You know me for what I am; a true hunter, one capable of ANYTHING including your meager scalp. LET IT BEGIN!!!

Bobby B.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:00 PM
stubblejumper

I can't stand Boddington the way he continually jumps on the manufactrers bandwagon every time they introduce a new product.I can't believe that people actually pay for Chuck Hawks opinions.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:50 PM

Bob I don't doubt for a second that you can make the shot!

The reason you won't get my scalp is because you probably don't have a knife sharp enough to peel it! The hide is getting awfully thin up there these days...

Old 05-11-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
I can't stand Boddington the way he continually jumps on the manufactrers bandwagon every time they introduce a new product.I can't believe that people actually pay for Chuck Hawks opinions.
Chuck Hawkes? would'nt walk across the road to meet him.......
Cat
Old 05-11-2008, 05:16 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Chuck Hawkes? would'nt walk across the road to meet him.......
Cat
I would sooner walk across the road to avoid hearing his B.S.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:42 AM

O.K., I'm afraid this thread has run its course. Some have used it as an excuse to make personal attacks (not of me).

Don Meredith
Board Administrator

Last edited by Don Meredith; 05-11-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Closed Thread