Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Need B.C. info

Need some links to B.C. info on the various commercial "brands" out there.
The stuff my 300WM liked is no longer made. Have to find newer stuff.
Had been using Hornady Custom 190g boat tail spire point interlock bullet.
Only 3 rounds left !
Gun: Browning Synthetic Stalker A-Bolt 300WM with the BOSS.
Looking for the very best BC in 170-190g in BTSP.
New boxes seem to have "Mag Load" on them. I don't have a flinch now (except when "controling" Gophers with the tiger torch )
so do not need/want anything with more push.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:08 PM

Winchester Supreme Accubonds in a 180 gr are all my hunting buddy shoots in his Browning Stainless Stalker .300 WSM. Tried to convince him to let me load him a "magic" potion to suit his gun with his formed brass, but he'll have nothing to do with it. Reasons? 100% dead in their tracks history plus around .500 - .625" 100 yard groups with the factory stuff and he sure can shoot offhand. Reasons enough, I guess! I'm not especially a WSM (or any other version, whether it's SAUM, RUM, WSSM or whatever) fan, because I think it's all marketing by a desperate industry in a politically fueled anti-gun environment, but all the same, I can't argue with the man's ability to plant 'em! Another buddy of mine uses the same bullet in the factory loading for his .300 WM Ruger and he's done all sorts of penetration and expansion tests comparing them to the new "Elite" loading. He swears that the original 180 gr Accubond Supreme is the standard to set all things straight by - and another shooter. (He only got 4 wolves out of a pack with his .300 WM, only one standing, 'cause he ran out of ammo!)
If your gun likes it, this is one hell of a factory loading. I really like the Accubond for some loadings - it's pretty well that or a Partition or a good old GameKing. High end factory ammo can be very good for most people. Only the born-that-way tweekers, most hand-loaders included, seem to feel there's room for improvement which generally is the case. All the same, in the .300 WM even the Federal Premium offerings will definitely have something your rifle likes. It's one hell of a caliber, destined to be one of the all-time greats, and I firmly believe it'll outlive any weird new, super, better, or whatever offshoot of the .300 WM.

Last edited by sbtennex; 05-06-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned

180 accubond - .509
180 GameKing - .506
190 MatchKing - .533
180 Barnes TSX - .453
180 Grand Slam - .483
180 Speer BTSP - .540

Winchester doesn't have BC info on their XP3 bullets.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 AM

sbtennex....reason I'm looking for the best BC is because I'm not a hand loader. So I want to stack the deck in my favor for someting that will (likely) shoot well.
I can adjust the BOSS, but if it has a poor BC it will only help up to a point.
I was surprised the .300 does less damage to Coyotes than the .270.
I'm using Red Prem Vital Shok 130g BTSP in the .270 BAR and it loves them. Makes one heck of a mess of the Utes though.
Not that it matters, it's mainly predator control.....till I get my new A-Bolt 22-250.
Been doing well out to 400m tipping them over.

Vindalbakken - Thanks !
Who makes the Speer ? Although we have a new gun/hunting store in town, the ammo selection is still not a huge section. Being new they are slowly building the business.
Last few times to WSS the ammo was too far away for me to read the info on the boxes. My have to "test" some binos next time !
I'll still have to go on a search....being on dial up I tend to be a bit lazy on the search thing.....