Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Default wolf snares

Hey guys wondering how big of a loop you user on your wolf snares and how far off the ground(and any other tips you may want to include) thanks a bunch
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Gone Hunting

I haven't measure my loops but I would guess they are between ten and 12 inches across and about 2 feet above ground.

As with most trail snaring. Height isn't critical. Place a thin twig just under the bottom of the loop and the animal will lift it's head to avoid the twig and he'll hit the snare dead on.
Better to be a bit low and use a twig then to catch a Deer. Speaking of Deer, a dead sapling placed horizontally just above your loop will almost eliminate that possibility. It's worth doing if there are Deer using the same trail.

Just try to keep you time on site and your movements to a minimum while making your set. Have everything you need before approaching the place you intend to set.

One last thing. If you can find a place where they are passing through a clump of small willows or berry bushes, it is one of the better places to set.

The many branches help to disguise your snare and funnel the animal.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:07 PM

Good notes KegRiver make the animal go were you want it to go!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Everybody has their own style but for me snare height is very important. I'd rather place a wolf snare high than low. If I catch a coyote in a wolf snare I'm not happy unless a big snow dump changed the snare height. You want that loop right under the wolf chin, not hitting it's chest. The snare will close up tight and give a quick kill.

I found a sure way to eliminate deer from my snares. I stopped setting my snares on game trails and avoid area that deer yard up in. It's almost impossible to eliminate smaller deer out of snares even with sticks across the trail. I choose my snare locations carefully and haven't snared a deer in years. Good luck