Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Oh, Oh!

Keg river, you just opened up a can of worms!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
There was a fellow who built cabins on my and a neighbers lines. Not for trapping, they were for outfitting from.
F&W and SRD would do nothing, , , , , because cabins are Forestrys jurisdiction, as we found out.
Forestry would remove them if we wanted, they told us, but they suggested that we claim the cabins, which is our right, according to them.

We opted to have a talk with the outfitter instead. We worked out a deal.
I guess some people can be bought!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
Keg river, you just opened up a can of worms!
I was going to make a comment as well because on the other thread you were saying no one but outfitters want your line and its not worth trapping so what just rent it to outfitters??? but i dont know you and dont know the circumstances so...... but it does look like you may be helping part of the problem so many people get upset about?????
Old 10-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Just for the record, if someone is camping on the trapline, I always swing by and say hi, and let them know where I'm at and what I'm doing. Doesn't hurt to make an appearance, as long as I'm not disrupting a hunt. And the campfire coffee usually hits the spot.
As a trapline holder, we are just another land user, same as the hunters, forest and oil companies. We're just after different things.
Yeah no that cool and we wecome visitors just at first in the way it was said he made it seem like we were intuding and squatting on "his trapline" I was sure we had just as much right to be there as him but wated some claification.

Mike
Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I guess some people can be bought!
You are so right. We bought the cabins.
It was better then starting a war and way cheaper in the end.

What would you do, try to throw the man out of a cabin he built, while he and his clients point guns at you ? I wonder how many traps you would have after that season was over, if you lived through that encounter.

Maybe with government support we could have had him evicted, without it our options are very limited.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Excuse Me---You worked out a "DEAL". I, honestly believe, "we trappers" would like an explanation, if you might...
Yeah we worked out a deal. We bought the cabins.
We figured it wasn't worth starting a fight over, especially since SRD and Forestry wouldn't and perhaps couldn't do anything.

Our way, the guy moved on, we got cabins we could use for a fraction of what it would cost us in time and materials and we didn't have to worry about traps going missing and that sort of thing.

Perhaps not the best solution for everyone. But sometimes it is better to seek a peaceful solution then to pick a fight.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

Good on you Keg. I was really hoping that you didn't cave and at the same timeI hope the situation was amiable. Too many things happen behind cloise doors and then precidents are set.. Once again, We say Thx...
Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Good on you Keg. I was really hoping that you didn't cave and at the same timeI hope the situation was amiable. Too many things happen behind cloise doors and then precidents are set.. Once again, We say Thx...
You were concerned that we simply allowed him to keep using the cabins ?
LOL we considered it, he wasn't a very effective outfitter and we guessed that he wouldn't be in business long, which he wasn't. But we knew he would destroy the cabins when he decided to move on, if we didn't make a deal.

We also knew that if we paid him a little for the cabins he would move on much sooner, and he did.
We each paid $100.00. That was in the early 80s so about the same as $500.00 today. Still there was well over $100.00 dollars worth of plywood in those cabins, but not much else of value in them.

The one on my line took a lot of work to make it livable in winter, they were built for fall hunting, not winter trapping.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You are so right. We bought the cabins.
It was better then starting a war and way cheaper in the end.

What would you do, try to throw the man out of a cabin he built, while he and his clients point guns at you ? I wonder how many traps you would have after that season was over, if you lived through that encounter.

Maybe with government support we could have had him evicted, without it our options are very limited.
I take my comments back, that is not a bad solution at all. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 AM

I have asked this question to a forestry officer before they told me that if they find an unregistered cabin or shelter in the bush they can burn it down. Not sure if they would go to that extreme if the cabin was in nice shape. I'm sure they would just try and find out whos it is and tell them to remove.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Default made a deal

Keg, my apologies. I really thought you meant they paid you to continue to occupy the cabins. That situation I would have a hard tine swallowing. Again, I misinterpreted your comments, and for that, I am sorry.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Banned

That is right. They caqn and they will.. Firstly they hang some paper at the site with a date, by which time action will be taken.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0039 View Post
I have asked this question to a forestry officer before they told me that if they find an unregistered cabin or shelter in the bush they can burn it down. Not sure if they would go to that extreme if the cabin was in nice shape. I'm sure they would just try and find out whos it is and tell them to remove.
They burn them down. Forestry did a cleanup up here a couple years back, burnt alot of cabins. Some very nice two story cabins too. The owners came back to ashes, but their belongs were stashed under some trees.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Gone Hunting

No problem NT.

I've heard of them burning cabins down, but never around here.
Maybe because of the possability of starting a forest fire.

Whatever the reason, getting rid of an outfitters cabin is tough at best.
For one thing, they will, without hessitation, deny building or using it, unless caught in the act.

Also, the sort that build cabins where they have no buisiness are also the type to steal a trappers equipment in retaliation. And of course they would deny that as well. Best to just let them hang themselves, they always do, eventually. Like that Foiles guy did.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 PM

SRD did an fly over of a local area, I'm not sure if it for pine beetle or for cabins but there were a couple of these notes posted. Nothing was burned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg notice.jpg (57.8 KB, 265 views)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 PM

A good friend of mine just went through this last year in the Athabaska river area. They wound up fighting it. and they won. If you would like to speak with the my buddy I can get you in touch as to how it all went. just send me a message and i would be happy to send his contact details over to you.

regards
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
It is north of slave lake I know who he is talked to him once his line is west of mine it has limited access so he decided to build it on mine,not to sure what to do if I make a big stink about it then I will be worrying about my cabin traps etc
looks like you have a permanent tenant....
lol

don't burn anything down..the person who said that is out of control.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Best thing to do is to ask the guy tho get it off your line. Or make a deal with him so you could use it for trappping and hunting. Also be aware that depending on the size of your line you are only allowed to have 1 cabin per township. So if you allready have 2 cabins on 2 townships you cant have any more cabins on your line.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

There are no deals to be done regarding ILLEGAL cabins unless the builder is out of the pic all together and you have not exceeded the # of cabins on your line, as mentioned..

Sorry, I did not see the post saying that he was a neighboring trapper. That , then would be up to you. If he has no access to his place, from my point of view, I would welcome HIS assistance in maintaining, MY trail system. If he was not in agreement ( do it in writing ), then maybe you don't want him around. As I said, I would welcome an extra axe and chainsaw. Hopefully he is an OK kinda guy and is not the kind to drag every Tom, Dick and Harry out to his place, thru and over your road. That extra traffic can raise hell on some fragile ground, prior to freeze up....I know.. It's your call.. keep me posted....maybe I know the person you speak of..

Last edited by sourdough doug; 11-25-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
There are no deals to be done regarding ILLEGAL cabins unless the builder is out of the pic all together and you have not exceeded the # of cabins on your line, as mentioned..

Sorry, I did not see the post saying that he was a neighboring trapper. That , then would be up to you. If he has no access to his place, from my point of view, I would welcome HIS assistance in maintaining, MY trail system. If he was not in agreement ( do it in writing ), then maybe you don't want him around. As I said, I would welcome an extra axe and chainsaw. Hopefully he is an OK kinda guy and is not the kind to drag every Tom, Dick and Harry out to his place, thru and over your road. That extra traffic can raise hell on some fragile ground, prior to freeze up....I know.. It's your call.. keep me posted....maybe I know the person you speak of..
That's the route I would go as well. A neighbour can be a huge asset in times of trouble. Better to work together then to fight.

I actually signed over a two square mile part of my line to a neighbouring trapper so he could build a cabin on it. That small portion was a lot more value to him then to me.

And to those that would jump to conclusions, I did not sell it, I signed it over. I have never taken one cent from anyone for access to my trap line or the fur that is on it. And I have never sold any part of this line or any other line, ever.

As a matter of fact I have had a couple of offers from outfitters to buy my line. Both in the $20,000.00 to $30,000.00 range. I turned them down.

To put this in prospective, this line is not worth much to anyone other then an outfitter. I have spent no more then a couple of hundred on improvements and the line does not return much in fur.
It is the poorest line in the district, to the best of my knowledge.