Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 04:43 PM

Default In defense of cold bluing

I picked up an old Cooey 840 from the gun auction on the weekend. The original bluing was pretty much gone and turning a light brown from rust, with some rust spots, minor. I decided to try cold bluing though previous work with cold bluing was less than satisfactory. I sanded off the rust, 400 grit then 600 grit, then 0000 steel wool. I then used some bluing degreaser, then Birchwood Casey Permablue. The result was the typical blotched job. Then cleaned the gun with Acetone, a couple of times, and reblued. The result was very good, not great, but satisfactory. If you've dabbled with cold bluing before, and been unhappy, try the acetone.
Note: store your damp acetone rags in a plastic bag while your working, and don't sniff.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:43 PM

Try cleaning it with rubbing alcohol ( isopropyl 70% usp) instead. Dries quick and not as strong on the ol nostrils.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
Try cleaning it with rubbing alcohol ( isopropyl 70% usp) instead. Dries quick and not as strong on the ol nostrils.
Actually rubbing alcohol is a poor substitute for acetone, as acetone strips out all the oils from the metal and actually dries faster,and it's the oil that keeps the bluing from taking effect.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:11 AM

I use alcohol as the final clean. First I wash everything in varsol,then a shot of brake clean,let it dry and a final wipe of alcohol indoors just before bluing.