Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-20-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm just glad I didn't mail order one. I might have been disappointed.
I see Winchester is offering their low wall in it... That way if the wsm goes the way of the 5mm RM, you can rebarrel it.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 PM

17 hornet is 3650 fps and its reloadable
Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
"Some ugly my son," as the Newfies would say.
Yep, weird looking bolt.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I see Winchester is offering their low wall in it... That way if the wsm goes the way of the 5mm RM, you can rebarrel it.
That is a nice looking little rifle.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
17 hornet is 3650 fps and its reloadable
Don't start making comments like that around here. Makes too much sense.

And as a bonus, you can buy/build a 17 Hornet on a not ugly rifle
Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 AM

Wink

I have to agree.

Hopefully, the BMag is a good shooter as it won't win any accolades for its looks. With that bolt, I can imagine photons shooting from the muzzle instead of conventional projectiles.

-Willy
Old 06-22-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Do you folks figure this gun will up here for this years coming coyote season?
Too much gun for yotes.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 PM

Too much gun.....have ya lost yer mind?....is their such a thing?.....i had to read it twice

Im shocked at this outdoorsman,......somebody pls wake him from his bad dream.

Its a mean ol 'yotey yall be talkin'bout!........i use my 30-378, on them just to make sure, them dare krittetrs r mean!

Lololol!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
To some (myself included) there is more to a rifle than just the way it shoots. To each their own....
So you would rather own a 'pretty rifle' that shoots 2 inch groups with the odd flyer
Old 06-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
So you would rather own a 'pretty rifle' that shoots 2 inch groups with the odd flyer
Re read my post, and use a dictionary this time. You don't seem to understand what the word "more" means.

Last edited by double gun; 06-22-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEWW WWWW!

that thing is just plain ugly!

And yes I would rather shoot a gun that gets 2" groups rather then one that looks like it is out of a bad "Buck Rogers" movie out of the 50's.

P.S. NONE of my "wood" guns shoot any where close to 2" groups! Think smaller much smaller!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:52 PM

sure, its ugly.... So is my Savage Axis 22-250, but with my handloads, its a TACK DRIVER, and a 100.00 Boyd's Thumbhole stock, and Its a whole new rifle!

I WILL buy the Savage B-Mag as soon as I can get one! And I am confident Boyd's will come out with replacement stocks very soon.... On another note, it appears the .17WSM B-Mag will be considerably more expensive than my Axis 22-250 was.... Crazy. If they do release them for under 350.00, it will be an alright price, IMO, but, they should come out at 299.00, seeing how the stock is cheap plastic.

I already bought four boxes of the 20 gn ammo, and will slowly buy more every time i go to the city, as I believe there will be an ammo shortage for this rifle next summer... I want to have 20 box's saved up for gopher/crow season... ;-)

Does anyone know WHEN it will actually be for sale here?
Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Cabela's has them listed for backorder on their website for $340, and the ammunition as in stock. Definitly not the prettiest of guns, someone at Savage must really enjoy the look of textured plastic stocks. Their Model 42 shares this "modern" look.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Im picking one up at Cabela's Winnipeg tomorrow! The crap stock will have to do untill boyd's comes out with a lightweight Varmint thumbhole ;-)

ginnz
Old 12-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnz View Post
Im picking one up at Cabela's Winnipeg tomorrow! The crap stock will have to do untill boyd's comes out with a lightweight Varmint thumbhole ;-)

ginnz
That is the first one I have heard of in Canada, I was in the Cabelas in Edmonton today as they had the Supermags listed in their flyer. Had none in stock and the clerk said he didn't know when they were getting them in, but I would imagine if they have them at the Winnipeg store they will be out here fairly soon.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 AM

When people start buying and shooting these, please keep us all informed. I am curious.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:54 AM

Default Savage

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have played with many rifles for over 50 years. "WHAT A POS"! I have a hard time thinking that Savage would market this rifle with an action that when closing feels that the medal is binding and about to twist off. Quality control feels like they tied rags with Remington. Just my opinion.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
That is the first one I have heard of in Canada, I was in the Cabelas in Edmonton today as they had the Supermags listed in their flyer. Had none in stock and the clerk said he didn't know when they were getting them in, but I would imagine if they have them at the Winnipeg store they will be out here fairly soon.
They just told me they on a truck coming from Winnipeg, and should be here this week. They gave me the part number in case I wanted to order it to my house, but I think I want to get a feel for the gun before making the decicion to order it.

They're only a couple minutes from my house, so I'll stop by again when they get them.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy 0-0-7 View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but I have played with many rifles for over 50 years. "WHAT A POS"! I have a hard time thinking that Savage would market this rifle with an action that when closing feels that the medal is binding and about to twist off. Quality control feels like they tied rags with Remington. Just my opinion.
I had a chance to handle one an Wholesale in Calgary last week and I'd have to agree. I also thought the forend was incredibly flimsy and would twist with very little hand pressure applied.

I say this as somebody who owns and really likes other Savage rifles, I don't know what they were thinking on this one.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:17 PM

I was at Barton's today and was handling one I think I'm gonna wait till another model comes out. Seems pretty cheap to me
Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 PM

The safety position is great, bolt is ugly but might grow on me, stock is crap and cock on close!?!? What were they thinking. I like the clip and bolt removale button. I hope ruger does a 77/17wsm. I'm gonna wait out another model. By the sounds of it they gotta get the ammo consistency figured out too.

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM

I was kinda interested in this new round too when I first heard about it, but from the reviews I've been reading from the guys in the US, the Bmag is not worth buying. I like Savages, but I think they dropped the ball on this one. Probably someone will come out with something better, hopefully soon. Would be a shame to see this new cartridge fail just because there was nothing decent to shoot it in.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM

11 months ago when I first heard of the 17 WSM I was ready to buy one. I have heard so many problems with necks on cases splitting and accuracy no where near as good as the hmr I don't think I will be buying one.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:21 AM

I am interested in the 17wsm as well, but the more I hear about it, the more I think I'll get a 17 Hornet instead.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 AM

Cabela's has them coming in in Dec 2013 apparently

box of 50 costs 17- 20 depending on where you get them

20gr HP - 3000fps
20gr Plastic tip - 3000fps
25 gr PT - 2600fps

savage bmag and Win low wall I think are the only rifles to date

apparently the savage was built from the ground up just for this cartridge
Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I had a chance to handle one an Wholesale in Calgary last week and I'd have to agree. I also thought the forend was incredibly flimsy and would twist with very little hand pressure applied.

I say this as somebody who owns and really likes other Savage rifles, I don't know what they were thinking on this one.
They really look and feel like a POS, but I am willing to wait till I hear from those who have actually range tested them. With Savage, often what looks and feels like chit shoots surprisingly well. This gun makes the Stevens 200 look like a beauty queen.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:32 AM

Picked mine up today , put a scorpion varmint scope on it, will site it in once the wind dies down around here..to me feels great, light ,it is a Rim fire some good vids now on youtube about the gun looking forward to get it going.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 02-01-2014, 06:01 AM

In stock at Caroline supplies
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 AM

I handled one yesterday. I have never seen a rifle with a bolt as terrible as this thing is. When I heard about them a year ago I was pumped to get one. After actually handling one, you couldn't give it to me. Maybe when some one else starts to build one it will be fine but the Bmag just feels like junk IMO.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:49 AM

^^ yup I picked one up just for curiosity sake. I mounted a scope shot it a couple dozen times and sold it to the first person willing to take it. They are absolute garbage. The stock feels like it should be on a nerf gun, and I honestly don't even know how to describe how terrible the the action and bolt is. It was your typical savage and shot decent groups, but there's no groups in the world that could save that thing.