Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM

Default Axis trigger job?

I've read about people cutting or changing the trigger spring in their Axis rifles. While this "quick fix" might work, I'd be leery about the integrity of the trigger mechanism and the ability of the sear to not slip after such an endeavor. Obviously, Savage would never condone this type of modification. After all, is the purpose of the trigger spring not to prevent the sear from releasing? Nobody wants to hear about an accidental discharge and someone getting shot. Buck up and get a proper replacement trigger. There's some very good ones out there.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Default rifle basix

Rifle basix makes a replacement trigger for the axis about 90.00
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Good timing on this post. I was going to do some research on this very subject. (changing the trigger not modifying it) I was told that an accutrigger from a Savage 111 will fit right into the axis. Does anybody know if that is true?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 PM

Not true from everything I've heard. Accutrigger will not fit Axis.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 PM

Smile You can do it

The accu trigger will not fit, you need a basix, and you can do it yourself. They make a world of difference.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 PM

Default Basix !

I tried trimming the spring on my Axis. Cutting a 1/2 coil at a time. Bump testing and checking the safety as I went. It did not have the desired affect after cutting 2 coils off. That was as far I was willing to go.

I ended up buying a Rifle Basix. $120 shipped to my door in 2 weeks, easy to install and adjust It is an awesome trigger, very crisp and can be adjusted lower then I need.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
I've read about people cutting or changing the trigger spring in their Axis rifles. While this "quick fix" might work, I'd be leery about the integrity of the trigger mechanism and the ability of the sear to not slip after such an endeavor. Obviously, Savage would never condone this type of modification. After all, is the purpose of the trigger spring not to prevent the sear from releasing? Nobody wants to hear about an accidental discharge and someone getting shot. Buck up and get a proper replacement trigger. There's some very good ones out there.
I am not an expert and I have never owned or worked on an Axis. that said, IMHE changing a trigger spring on a savage rifle is anything but a 'quick fix'.

The non Accu-trigger Savage often has a trigger spring that is made from a straight (not coiled) piece of spring wire. The dimension of this wire spring seems to have been specified by the Savage legal dept. If the trigger is adjusted anywhere near the minimum then the trigger spring will have very little or no effect on the pull weight as it will not be bent to any effect. Most of the pull force is used to overcome the sear friction. In the search for reduced pull weight, many people advise lightly honing the sear engagement surfaces (while maintaining the proper sear engagement angles and not removing the surface hardening) a minimum amount in order to reduce the sear friction. A spring can then be fabricated from smaller dia spring wire which can be adjusted to a lower release force while still maintaining a positive engagement force on the sear. The stock spring material is approx .055" dia, some people advise bending a lighter spring from .040 - .045" dia spring wire. Some people also advise stress relieving this new spring @ 425-450 F for 45 min to 1 hour.

I would never advise anyone to modify a mechanism properly designed by a competent legal department, and this certainly is an example of "never do this at home". There are several how to articles on the net and YouTube, these articles may or may not be correct. I think that I am safe to advise anyone to be very careful when doing any trigger adjustment, and to check the condition and proper operation of any and all firearm mechanisms before loading with live ammunition, and always follow all the rules of firearm safety when handling any firearm.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 PM

I have watched several how tos, read many articles. While everyone claims success. I couldn't pull the trigger (pun intended) on this fix. Seems too risky for my liking. Trigger wasn't designed to do it. I will leave the hard pull,or replace it.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM

Thanks to qwert for the info. Hopefully, anyone wanting to try a kitchen gunsmithing job on their Axis or any other firearm will be discouraged by the complexity of the task and more so by the possible dire consequences of messing with stuff that they shouldn't. For 80-140 bucks a proper retrofit trigger is the only smart way to go. Changing an Axis trigger is super simple to do and the results can be remarkably good with a quality trigger. I put a Timney in mine and it's now a completely different rifle. Trigger pull went from 6 lbs. to 2 and a half.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 PM

Done the snip a coil on mine. I can load a round and bang it off the ground as hard as I can, no fire. You say you don't want to hear of an accident. The axis/edge has been on the market for what, 5 years now and I have yet to hear of an accident from a guy snipping one coil. I'm sure since day one guys have been doing the trigger mod. Just like the stories of the Remington 700. All these accidents and trying to blame it on the gun, when in all reality they tried to get to much.

If you read the articles and watch the videos they all say, one coil, maybe coil and half.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM

If anyone who cut a coil off their trigger spring did have a mishap, they likely wouldn't be telling others about it.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
If anyone who cut a coil off their trigger spring did have a mishap, they likely wouldn't be telling others about it.
If it happened in the states, they would be suing Savage. And then some TV news show would do an exposé.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:31 PM

I did something similar on my savage, but rather than cutting coils, I chucked up the spring in my drill press (gently) and reduced the diameter of the spring with some sandpaper. This removes some metal, reducing the spring tension, and it keeps the spring the stock size. I got the trigger safely down to about 4 pounds. I wouldn't want to go much lower. Normally I would also adjust the sear or trigger hook geometry, but it's a stamped piece in the axis. It's a cheap fix, but the trigger will not break like a glass rod.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 PM

I did the cut a coil on mine, didn't get much for results. But i have yet to try polishing the sear surface.

I was grouping 1/2" at 100 before with package scope, put a predator quest scope on it and cut the trigger and the groups are more like 1-1/2" or worse! But i didn't mount the scope so i'm going to completely go through mounts and what not and see if that helps.