Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 05:36 PM

Default Lawn Fertilizer

For all the landscaping experts.

Overall my lawn is looking pretty good. I did apply a spring fertilizer and was wondering what you guys use for summer as far as a rating goes? I do get a few weeds that creep through and would like my lawn to be that consistent dark green. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2020, 06:16 PM

I apply Scott's in the spring and fall.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:43 PM

Use a high nitrogen fertilizer. Even something with micronutrients and controlled release
https://www.allistonbotanix.com/prod...et-fertilizer/

May need to irrigate in summer, overseed in spring and fall amd apply a herbicide like trillium? Or par 3 or fiesta - iron based to keep weeds out.

I have seen people now with these self propelled topdressers for applying composts etv as a more natural way.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM

I am no expert but I do like working on my lawn. In the spring I go hard with Scott's and I use the 32-0-0. Then I add a bag about every 6 weeks. I find if its well fertilized, the weeds seem to get choked out. My sons hate me as they are cutting the grass way too quickly. In late September I use Scott's fall turf builder. It is 32-0-10. My understanding is it helps drive the roots down and aids in dormancy. The following spring once the dethatching and cutting takes place, it seems to green up quickly. I have not aerated in a few years as I rented a machine and found that I sure acquired a bunch of dew worms. I figured they came with the rental-not sure.
My two cents...
Old 07-02-2020, 09:03 PM

I’m a CIL guy 30-0-3 20kg bag about $40 on sale. Dethatch and over seed in spring, fertilize once May long and again once early July. Grass is a nice dark green all year. I find Scott’s gives me a lighter green. I dig weeds out with a serrated knife from the dollar store (try to avoid herbicides). I also mulch all year long only pick grass up last cut of year.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:11 PM

Want dark green grass? Nitrogen will do that. Go to an ag supply and buy a bag of 46-0-0.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:12 PM

I don’t water, so, a fertilize before scheduled rain, maybe 3 times in spring. 32-0-0 with whatever was left over from fall mixed in. Grow it out a bit longer and no fertilizer for the heat of summer, then one more nitrogen in fall, followed with a 32-0-10 to put it to bed. I mulch with the mower and do a thorough thatch in spring. Haven’t aerated for a few years. My objective is to blend out the dog spots, so colour dictates the schedule

Last edited by MyAlberta; 07-02-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:08 AM

Lots of good advice here as far as fert goes. Don’t dethatch to early in the spring. You don’t want a extended cold spell below zero after as it sure can set back your lawn. If you don’t water much cut your grass taller, after a few cuts it will “set its level” lol! And look good after the cut even tho it’s taller.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Lots of good advice here as far as fert goes. Don’t dethatch to early in the spring. You don’t want a extended cold spell below zero after as it sure can set back your lawn. If you don’t water much cut your grass taller, after a few cuts it will “set its level” lol! And look good after the cut even tho it’s taller.
I agree. I’m a sucker for punishment and dethatch by hand. 3 days and a week of recovery. Fine line between thaw and too much green, but I like the thought of airing the growth early. I figure by mulching, I’m not hauling away the fertilizer in the clippings, increasing moisture retention, and building a bed for winter.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:40 AM

Mountain is right 46-0-0 NPK the nitrogen is what makes your lawn dark green. However some phosphorous and potassium should be applied at least once per year. Most of 30-5-5 range good mix. Advantage of Urea 46-0-0 is will not burn your lawn if you get carried away. One 50 lb bag/year enough for most lawns applied 2-3 times over summer, not to late in fall, just put lawn to bed.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:57 PM

Call Green Oasis
They apply weed n feed it works awesome
I think very reasonable, just a cheap as a bag of fertilizer and your time