Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 10:40 AM

Default 3 Children Dead after Negligence with Tractor

So, I will preface this by saying that I distinctly recall riding in the tractor bucket on the farm, when I was a kid 45 or more years ago. But pretty sure we never piled 10 people in the bucket. And pretty sure alcohol was not involved (although I couldn't swear to that either...). Anyway, something went wrong, and 3 kids are dead and others injured. I guess farm safety still isn't a thing in some places. One has to wonder if Canada Day Celebration got carried away. Damn shame.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/three-ch...real-1.5007735

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-02-2020, 10:58 AM

Prayers for all on that deal. very sad.

Osky
Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 AM

I couldn't even read the article.

I friend of mine had his 2 year old riding in the skidsteer with him, without a door.

He never got over it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-02-2020, 11:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy

sad....I was hoping that with the pandemic etc going on that things like this wouldn't happen....every freakin holiday etc seems to be a magnet for people getting injured or killed.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-02-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
sad....I was hoping that with the pandemic etc going on that things like this wouldn't happen....every freakin holiday etc seems to be a magnet for people getting injured or killed.
I feel like isolation has made it worse.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:51 AM

That was a hard read. Couldnt imagine losing my three year old to something so avoidable.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Horrible tragedy

I don’t know more than what they said in the story, but I was feeding cows years ago when a hydraulic fitting broke.
That loader went from 6’ high to the dirt in the blink of an eye. I keep my distance from them ever since.
And have pulled lots of people out from walking underneath the bucket.
Things happen fast

Prayers to all involved.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:12 PM

so sad, I feel for the families. I work on a farm and the things I see scare the crap out of me, even if they are farm kids they still break just as easy as a city kid. even in town I went a bit ballistic a week or so ago about a quad zooming along my ditch with a teenage driver and a little girl hanging on behind him, no safety equipment at all. then after i said a few not so nice words to them they were up and down the street behind me probably 5 or 6 of all sizes hanging off the quad again full speed. do what they want but I dont have to see it or deal with it, already had 3 young people I worked with die in accidents since I moved here Id rather not go thru that again thank you. RIP kids

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-02-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
I feel like isolation has made it worse.
You can't fix stupid.

Grizz
Old 07-02-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
You can't fix stupid.

Grizz
Exactly

Stupidity is a pandemic in itself.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Exactly

Stupidity is a pandemic in itself.
A total of 5 adults involved including driver and bucket riders, and I'm assuming it was their 6 children involved. If not a single one had small reservation about what was going on, that is kind of a Stupid Red Flag for sure. Especially if the driver had been drinking as was hinted at.

As a parent, if you are involved and its one or more of your kids that dies, how do you deal with that? I hate to say it, but whatever regret, remorse, inner torture they experience....was 100% avoidable. It's not like an asteroid came out of space and killed them. So much of what is termed 'accident' (and I used the word in my title, going to have to change that) isn't anywhere near an accident. It is negligence, stupidity, carelessness, ignorance, or a combination of the four.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 07-02-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Super sad story, especially that it was 100% avoidable. You have to think that tractor was going just a bit too fast and hit a whoop in the road or someone in the cab hit the wrong lever. Out you go, only to be ran over. Horrible.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:48 PM

Opps, double post.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
A total of 5 adults involved including driver and bucket riders, and I'm assuming it was their 6 children involved. If not a single one had small reservation about what was going on, that is kind of a Stupid Red Flag for sure. Especially if the driver had been drinking as was hinted at.

As a parent, if you are involved and its one or more of your kids that dies, how do you deal with that? I hate to say it, but whatever regret, remorse, inner torture they experience....was 100% avoidable. It's not like an asteroid came out of space and killed them. So much of what is termed 'accident' (and I used the word in my title, going to have to change that) isn't anywhere near an accident. It is negligence, stupidity, carelessness, ignorance, or a combination of the four.
Im betting one of those adults was thinking "i dunno about this", but went ahead and joined in.

Thats the problem. People are so friggin worried to offend someone, they fail in the absolute BASIC duties of an adult or parent......in short, they fail. Worse yet, they participate

Kids dont know any better. Adults fail. Thats why this crap happens
Old 07-02-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
Horrible tragedy

I don’t know more than what they said in the story, but I was feeding cows years ago when a hydraulic fitting broke.
That loader went from 6’ high to the dirt in the blink of an eye. I keep my distance from them ever since.
And have pulled lots of people out from walking underneath the bucket.
Things happen fast

Prayers to all involved.
In the late 1980’s I was on a construction site when I was 18 and a backhoe was doing some concrete demolition with a jackhammer attachment when one of his hydraulic hoses blew apart, the operator had the door open and he got doused pretty badly with hydraulic oil, particularly in his eyes.

I couldn’t read the article, news has been too unpleasant as it is lately.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:41 PM

I've got PTSD just from reading that. Can't imagine the pain of the parents,people evolved or emergency workers coming to the scene.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:56 PM

That's awful.

It's a stupid thing to be doing but I feel for all involved including the driver. This would have been a tough one for the first responders too. Tragic.

I've seen first hand how quickly things can go wrong with heavy machinery.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:56 PM

Over 40 years in industry I’ve witnessed several tragic accidents and thier outcomes. Little compares to being responsible for a child’s death. My neighbours rolled thier travel trailer, loosing both thier sons. Life itself became a burden in thier anguish.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:42 PM

According to the article, they also had firewood in the bucket....
Old 07-02-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
According to the article, they also had firewood in the bucket....
Yeah, I was thinking that with 4 adults, six children, and firewood, it had to be a big bucket, and that means a big machine. Things go wrong very quickly in the real world. Consequences of this are absolutely horrible.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that with 4 adults, six children, and firewood, it had to be a big bucket, and that means a big machine. Things go wrong very quickly in the real world. Consequences of this are absolutely horrible.
I am thinking booze or not...How this could go that wrong where 2 adults are in critical condition and 3 children dead? Seems a little bizarre unless they rolled the tractor in a ditch possibly. I will wait patiently to hear how this plays out. Driver was arrested assuming he was like they said..."Booze could be involved"
Old 07-02-2020, 04:28 PM

The event happened on a road where the speed limit was 70km

The tractor ran over some of the victims