Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 08:46 AM

Default Anybody Else Miss Wholesale Sports?

Man, I sure miss having two major competitors for our outdoor dollars. While I wasn't enamored by their customer service a few times, at least we had two options and the competition caused real sales. Now Cabelas/Bass Pro send out a flyer and the sale prices are laughable. Oh for the good old days.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:48 AM

absolutely, had a different vibe for sure, different items and alot of the staff actually were into and used what they sold
Old 06-30-2020, 09:00 AM

Default Wholesale

Yes indeed.
A trip to Lethbridge, just isn’t the same anymore.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 AM

Yup...at least when wholesale had a sale it was a sale. Really miss it. Too bad it took Cabelas coming into Edmonton to wake them up for customer service
Old 06-30-2020, 09:03 AM

Many large outdoor stores are gone.
Wholesale and Russell’s in Calgary.
La Baron in the east.

Left with Cabbalas/BassPro.

Don
Old 06-30-2020, 09:05 AM
Banned

Yes I do.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:06 AM

I miss real sales, and a real assortment of reloading components. The competition was good for the consumer.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:07 AM

When wholesale sports only had the first store they were better. The bigger they got the more like crappy tire they got.
Anybody remember S.I.R. in Wpg? I think they were the first mail order Canadian company I did business with.
So many little gun shops gone.
In Lethbridge there still is one small gun shop. I think they are called Marksmen. Neat little shop used to be filled with old hunting photos. Kind of feels like going back in time 40 years.
That gun registry and no public rifle ranges I think really killed a bunch of gun shops.
On this forum there is a thread on 45/70. Got me kind of back interested in black powder guns. Then I web searched some old guns that I sold off back in the dark days of the Chretien government. Wow the prices just about gave me a stroke!
Nobody except Americans were buying during the registry. Made me think of the m16 crowd up here now. I would hang on to my stuff as long as I legally could and see what happens. Maybe you could get grandfathered or something? Maybe something will change before the deadline?
Old 06-30-2020, 09:11 AM

Quite a few of us predicted this regret.
Funny how so many piled on Wholesale Sports, as they announced their closing. Imperfect as they were, Wholesale offered some good deals.
Choice is always good for the consumer.
Fortunately, there are some smaller suppliers to add some competition in the marketplace.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Quite a few of us predicted this regret.
Funny how so many piled on Wholesale Sports, as they announced their closing. Imperfect as they were, Wholesale offered some good deals.
Choice is always good for the consumer.
Fortunately, there are some smaller suppliers to add some competition in the marketplace.
Sums it up--CT trying to fill the void, pretty tough for the small guys out there these days
Old 06-30-2020, 09:16 AM

Yes I miss Wholesale. I was in Cabela’s south Edmonton yesterday. After the way a staff member talked to my son and myself we won’t be darkening the doors anytime soon. My wife couldn’t believe it either. It also doesn’t help that Bass Pro gutted the place.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:18 AM

I do. I miss Hoyts more.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-30-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
i do. I miss hoyts more.
100%
Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 AM

Nope don’t miss it at all. Back in a past life I was a hunting supply and gun shopaholic. Realized my wants far exceeded my needs when it was only the basic needs I needed to put meat in the freezer. Shoppers need there to be retail competition out there. I said good riddance to there sub par service when they closed down and I used to make the trip from McMurray back In the day and hit Wholesale then turn around and go back to McMurray same day.

I’m good....
Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 AM

Wholesale wasnt far from my house, that was nice but honestly I just didn’t buy too much from them. A bit of ammo, a scope here and there. I guess they didn’t have enough archery equipment to get me into the store and they knew squat about bows, that’s probably why I didn’t spend much there.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
When wholesale sports only had the first store they were better. The bigger they got the more like crappy tire they got.
Anybody remember S.I.R. in Wpg? I think they were the first mail order Canadian company I did business with.
So many little gun shops gone.
In Lethbridge there still is one small gun shop. I think they are called Marksmen. Neat little shop used to be filled with old hunting photos. Kind of feels like going back in time 40 years.
That gun registry and no public rifle ranges I think really killed a bunch of gun shops.
On this forum there is a thread on 45/70. Got me kind of back interested in black powder guns. Then I web searched some old guns that I sold off back in the dark days of the Chretien government. Wow the prices just about gave me a stroke!
Nobody except Americans were buying during the registry. Made me think of the m16 crowd up here now. I would hang on to my stuff as long as I legally could and see what happens. Maybe you could get grandfathered or something? Maybe something will change before the deadline?
Yes still have many purchase around from S.I.R. in Winnipeg. S.I.R. was purchased by Cabelas and is Cabelas Canada Headquarters. A good move in my opinion.

I miss Wholesale too...
Old 06-30-2020, 09:35 AM

I really liked wholesale sports.
I lived fairly close to the one in south Edmonton, so I went there a lot.
When they closed I didn't live in the city anymore, and I never had a chance to get back.
I would have really liked to buy a wholesale sports hat before they closed.
Oh well.

As much as I don't like the idea of a Quebec company moving in, pro nature has a franchise in stettler, and maybe if they expand a bit more in the west there could be some sale inducing competition again.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:55 AM

Interesting thread. I was always a defender of Wholesale Sports but the guys that liked to beat on them were many, loud and posted regularly. Wholesale had issues, especially after UFA bought them, but all the negative publicity sure didn't help them any. Even at their peak, they were tiny, from memory about $115 million in sales, compared to Cabelas that does $6 BILLION in sales per year. Without strong local support they were bound to get driven out of business.

I miss them too, but we are often our own worst enemies. So many are happy to pile on and fail to recognise the long term implications of what they do. Kind of reminds me of all the shooters who aren't excited about the gun ban the Feds just put in because they don't own any of those kind of guns. They fail to realise their guns will be next.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:57 AM

Miss their sales and competition with Cabela's/Bass Pro.
Don't miss their terrible gun counter service , especially at the north Edmonton store.....
Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 AM

Yes I do miss WS. Enjoyed getting my fishing supplies. Also I miss Hunters Sport shop in North Battleford from the 70’s and 80’s. Midnight Madness days.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:07 AM

This is why I think it is doubly important to patronize places like Fishin Hole and P&D or any other local suppliers . And yes even Cabelas to some extent . If we don’t they will be gone too.
Yes I miss WSS
Old 06-30-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I really liked wholesale sports.
I lived fairly close to the one in south Edmonton, so I went there a lot.
When they closed I didn't live in the city anymore, and I never had a chance to get back.
I would have really liked to buy a wholesale sports hat before they closed.
Oh well.

As much as I don't like the idea of a Quebec company moving in, pro nature has a franchise in stettler, and maybe if they expand a bit more in the west there could be some sale inducing competition again.
For all the old timers, WW Arcade on Jasper Ave. Was the place to go. Unbelievable customer service, and they had what you wanted or would get it for you. I recommend Bashaw Sports, I have dealt with them and have never been disappointed.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:11 AM

I am holding out the hope that Canadian Tire continues to increase the scope of their hunting and fishing department.

Right now, let's face it, we have Cabelas/Bass Pro (the same company), and the Fishin' hole (but that doesn't cover anything except fishing gear).

When ever there's a monopoly (or commanding presence in the market space) the consumers (us) suffer higher process, poorer quality and less selection and no motivation to provide superior customer service.

I do miss them. They had the widest selection of many types of supplies.

Guns/Ammo, at leas there's a few options like Prophet River, P&D, etc..
Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
This is why I think it is doubly important to patronize places like Fishin Hole and P&D or any other local suppliers . And yes even Cabelas to some extent . If we don’t they will be gone too.
Yes I miss WSS

I think even if you need to pay Canada post a few $ more to ship something from a small business, to me is better than a big corporation that is just looking after its shareholders.

Yes, I work for a big (was bigger but they keep laying people off) corporation and I have to be choosy where every nickel and dime go like most.

But it forces me to consume less “stuff” so that is a bit of a win as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 10:40 AM

I do remember SIR,
Snail mail in your order a month later the order would show up or be back ordered.
When wholesale opened I could buy reloading supplies, guns in person it was like Christmas everyday checking the bargain bin.
I like to shop Cabela's when I get into a city otherwise I online order items not available here in Lloyd, Prophet river has shooting covered great selection of everything.
I ordered some fishing items on Cabela's father day free shipping offer,
2 packs of lead heads came in a big box one day,
the next day a 54" fishing rod case in a really big box
followed the next day next by 2 packs of rubber tails in another box don't think they made any money on that $50 order?
Old 06-30-2020, 10:46 AM

I miss Wholesale as well. Especially since Bass Pro got their dirty %^$# beaters on Cabelas. Sure seems like they're phasing out a lot of the Cabelas branded stuff which for the most part was good stuff and replacing with their own cheap items. Definitely get's me in the smaller stores as well.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:49 AM

It would sure be nice to have a sporting goods store down south definitely. Medicine Hat, lethbridge, wherever. I miss Russels too had the most embarrasing shopping moment of my life in there long ago. oh no wait it wasnt Russels it was the store by the Bridge near the zoo. brain fart I cant remember the name, it burned then moved across the street

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-30-2020, 10:50 AM

I sure do!
Old 06-30-2020, 10:59 AM

Yup, down here in Lethbridge there was a huge void left, everyone said Canadian tire would fill the void, what a complete joke, I can count the number of times I’ve been to ct one hand, all times walked out of the store empty handed and and disappointed.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:17 AM

The fact that there were 2+ good sized outdoor retailers in Edmonton was what made a 2 hour trip worthwhile. Last time I was in Cabelas' I was sorely disappointed enough to dicide to give local small stores all my firearms/reloading business. I think the competition WSS gave Cabelas' was healthy for them. Now it's gone Cabelas' sucks.