Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Default Shelf stable pickled eggs?

I have found a really good deal on eggs. I like pickled eggs but have only ever made enough to keep refrigerated.

The canning book I have says they don’t recommend canning them but it doesn’t say why. It doesn’t say it’s dangerous (like water bath canning meat) just says not recommended.

Can they be pressure canned? As long as the ph in the right range and they are pressure canned I don’t see why they wouldn’t be fine. But I’m also not one to take risks when it comes to canning.

Also, eather way. Anyone want to share a favour recipe?
Old 03-20-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I have found a really good deal on eggs. I like pickled eggs but have only ever made enough to keep refrigerated.

The canning book I have says they don’t recommend canning them but it doesn’t say why. It doesn’t say it’s dangerous (like water bath canning meat) just says not recommended.

Can they be pressure canned? As long as the ph in the right range and they are pressure canned I don’t see why they wouldn’t be fine. But I’m also not one to take risks when it comes to canning.

Also, eather way. Anyone want to share a favour recipe?
Nothing to do with the canning itself, but I found a way to do hard boiled eggs that are far easier to peel than normal. I actually steam them now rather than putting them right in the water. Makes it a much more pleasant task getting the shell off.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:46 AM

From National Center for Home Food Preservation:
Quote:
There are no home canning directions for pickled eggs. [...]

Caution: Home pickled eggs stored at room temperature have caused botulism. For the report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm The Editorial Note in this report cautions against room temperature pickling and storage, also. [...]
ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Nothing to do with the canning itself, but I found a way to do hard boiled eggs that are far easier to peel than normal. I actually steam them now rather than putting them right in the water. Makes it a much more pleasant task getting the shell off.
Do you use a vegetable steamer?
And how long do you steam them for?
Thanks.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Do you use a vegetable steamer?
And how long do you steam them for?
Thanks.
Yes, vegetable steamer. Put eggs on once water is boiling. I do 10 minutes for eggs that I just peel and eat as the yolks are still a bit soft then. If I was going to do for pickled eggs I would do 12. As soon as timer goes off get eggs cooling in cold water.
And of course, as always, don't use brand new eggs if you want them to peel easy.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, vegetable steamer. Put eggs on once water is boiling. I do 10 minutes for eggs that I just peel and eat as the yolks are still a bit soft then. If I was going to do for pickled eggs I would do 12. As soon as timer goes off get eggs cooling in cold water.
And of course, as always, don't use brand new eggs if you want them to peel easy.
If you break the shell and be sure to puncture the thin layer of film then put it in cold water ,soak it for 10 minutes, it will peel right off just do it under the water .
Old 03-20-2020, 09:29 AM

One of Insta-pot best applications is cooking hard boiled eggs. 5 minutes pressure cook, 5 minutes natural release, than fill pot with cold water. No cracks, easy to peel. Works wonderfully.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I always wonder what kind of conditions lead to these warnings.

Thanks though. Question answered.

I am going to have to try some of these ideas for peeling though.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:29 AM

What is every ones favorite pickled egg recipies, think it is a decent project for me and my girls since they love cooking.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrimard View Post
What is every ones favorite pickled egg recipies, think it is a decent project for me and my girls since they love cooking.
Thanks in advance.
The link I posted earlier has a half dozen recipes. I've been meaning to try the DARK AND SPICY EGGS, but I'm the only one who eats them so it hasn't been a priority. Maybe I'll make a batch of them and a batch of pickled wieners... that should keep the virus away!

ARG

Quote:
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
I keep meaning to save a dozen eggs for a month for this purpose, but the egg inventory isn't my department.
That's between the chickens and my wife.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:08 PM

If you can find a copy of the Company's Coming pickled peppered eggs cookbook, that is the recipe that I use. I believe it's in their canning cookbook.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:00 PM

Not sure how many here have had the pickled eggs at your local watering hole. I have. Years ago of course. For the most part they sat on the counter from open till close so you could see them and buy two. End of day, back in the cooler and next day bring out and back on counter at end of bar. Must have been so pickled didn't notice anything wrong. Some jars were around for a while. YUMMMMM Then again not sure if I was more pickled than the eggs were HIC HIC HIC-UP
Old 03-20-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Not sure how many here have had the pickled eggs at your local watering hole. I have. Years ago of course. For the most part they sat on the counter from open till close so you could see them and buy two. End of day, back in the cooler and next day bring out and back on counter at end of bar. Must have been so pickled didn't notice anything wrong. Some jars were around for a while. YUMMMMM Then again not sure if I was more pickled than the eggs were HIC HIC HIC-UP
Question is, where the homemade or commercially produced?

ARG

Quote:
Old 03-20-2020, 06:37 PM

Bar ones, commercial for sure. Mine I use the same ingredients but maybe not the same process. No matter, when they're opened it's the same product. Maybe same flavor. Ya it is
Mine are just as rubbery as theirs.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:30 PM

I remember the pickled eggs at the Gainford hotel back in the early nineties. I don’t think they had ever been in the fridge and had probably been sitting there since the seventies.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:42 PM

I’m not sure if it’s technically safe but I use left over bricks dill pickle juice.
Bring it to the boil and pour over your eggs. I keep them refrigerated and I’ve never died doing it.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:50 PM

Pickled eggs and pickled sausage.
Warm nuts from a gumball machine.
Sausages in a bun outside of mortimers/billybob's.

All would have turned your stomach in the daytime, but after midnight were the finest cuisine you could ever ask for.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:59 AM

I buy Costco's pickled eggs, then add pickling spices and some fresh dill, and keep refilling it with my own eggs, until it starts getting cloudy. Then buy another jar and start over again.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:09 AM

I once woke up with a pocket full of crushed pickled eggs after a night at the Halkirk hotel.

I had no recollection of it. One of my friends told me she watched me go to the bar, order two eggs and a drink. She said I looked around,put the eggs in my pocket, took my drink and continued to enjoy my night.

The good old days.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:28 AM

OK, what I was meaning to post here

I too reuse pickle juice. In my experience you can do this once or twice before you need to add more vinegar, but I normally just throw it away and start over at that point.

Just because botulism can exist in an environment doesn't mean that it does. But botulism is nasty enough that I try real hard to avoid it. I'll keep my pickled wieners and pickled eggs in the fridge.

ARG

Quote:

Last edited by Au revoir, Gopher; 03-21-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:38 AM

In my quest to get really good pickled eggs, I started pickling some myself. A bar I used to frequent had home made ones on the counter, and store bought eggs were rubbery and not very tasty.

Was pretty easy to do, and requires no real skill to get the best pickled eggs you'll ever taste. I think I settled on about a 70% vinegar solution, or maybe slightly less to water with a good portion of that malt vinegar, red wine vinegar, and cider vinegar. Or some mix, thereof. Using a little vinegar in the water while boiling the eggs gets the shells a bit soft and easy to remove with no mess. I'd boil the vinegar/water solution for a short time separate from the eggs, with pickling spice, some brown sugar, chopped onions. Garlic would be a nice addition, also. Come to think of it, I may have not boiled the onion. Cannot remember. After boiling I'd pour it over the eggs in a jar and set them up wherever is convenient. No need to seal them.

Takes a while for the flavour of your pickling to really seep in. Leave for a month at least, and probably 3 months to get to peak flavour. Probably last for about 6 months before they degrade a bit in texture. I've eaten an egg that was pickled and not sealed that was a good 3 years old though with no ill affects. Can reuse pickling juice as well. Or even use the juice from store bought cucumber pickles or beets. The beets added an interesting flavour and dyed the eggs a deep pinkish colour.

Almost forgot to add that with the darker colour vinegar solutions you can see how far the vinegar penetrates the egg. Probably the best after about full penetration of the white? And the egg that was 3+ years old was edible, but not as good, and after they get truly old, will tend to fall apart.

And it's not a tough job to get rolling and pickle about a 100 chicken eggs with a few big jars. Pretty good prep for quick and easy food and snack. I think it's easier overall to do a big batch rather than setting up several times.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-21-2020, 12:09 PM

Now I gotta make some for our June fishing trip. Not till the beginning of April though. 2 dozen will work for the four of us for 8 days.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Now I gotta make some for our June fishing trip. Not till the beginning of April though. 2 dozen will work for the four of us for 8 days.
That's only 6 each. Better triple it! And they won't be at they're best even if you start now.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-21-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’m not sure if it’s technically safe but I use left over bricks dill pickle juice.
Bring it to the boil and pour over your eggs. I keep them refrigerated and I’ve never died doing it.
same here ..also add little bit of vinegar to taste after every batch
Old 03-21-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Pickled eggs and beer,I wouldn't want to be camping with you lol.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
That's only 6 each. Better triple it! And they won't be at they're best even if you start now.
True enough but they will still be good and yes gonna need more for sure.

"Pickled eggs and beer,I wouldn't want to be camping with you lol."

Won't even go into the amount of garlic we use then, and don't forget the homemade cast iron pot of beans. Blazing saddles all over again
Old 03-22-2020, 01:51 PM

That was such a good idea, I stole it.
Last night I made a jar of pickled eggs, and 2 dozen pickled wieners for my canoe trip this spring.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Banned

Wow, this thread is quite timely, I was just thinking about making pickled eggs just before I went to my cabin. I’m going to have to go pick some up, and maybe some more pickling spice.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6yVdyjj6o