Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Banned

Paying cpp reason why seniors are allowed to get money:
Makes no sense. I pay cpp where is my $500? CPP is forced retirement saving so people won’t spend every nickel they make and retire with nothing saved. Less people allowed to get old age supplement !!

Technology in farming:
Pretty certain it is easier to train someone how to seed, work fields and combine now than say 20 years ago. Lots of monitoring systems I see now that takes the guess work out and mitigates the risk of screw ups. Autonomous steering was just and example of how less “skills” are required to say work a field. Pretty certain when farmers train their kids to seed they don’t just train them once and go. They check to see how they are doing . If they hired temporary workers to do grunt work they could always see which ones learn quickly more skilled jobs and then limit local skilled hires .

Training:
Any job requires training. I don’t think people started as supervisors they trained first then took over. But when oil prices are low and stay low and stockholders of big companies want to still see large profits higher ups need to do something. So the contracts they give out pay less and company that person works for wants his profits too. Big machine costs the same and all other things cost the same only variable thing can be salary. Say day wages of all people on site is $20000 and they need to cut it to $10000. They pay for 1 or 2 highly skilled guys and hire unskilled and pay crap then apply pressure to skilled guys to get same results as before. Then put pressure that if u screw up u will get fired and less work out there with oil prices low so lots of guys that will step in and take your place with skills for less.
But when prices high they can afford to have a skilled crew because they are making money hand over fist. As I said basic economy.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadji Ramjet View Post
Remarkable. The TFW program was implemented in 1973. Jason Kenney was capable enough at 5 years of age to be Employment Minister in a Liberal government?

Or, Trudeau pere created it to attract highly-specialized workers like academics and engineers to fill gaps here. Chretien in 2002 formally opened it to low-skilled workers, although that had actually started by 1974.

Back in the real world, changes introduced by Kenney:
-Paying TFWs the same wages as Canadian workers;
-The temporary suspension of the Accelerated Labour Market Opinion process launched last year to streamline TFW approvals;
-Additional questions on the application to ensure the program is not being misused to outsource Canadian jobs;
-Increased TFW program application fees;
-Broadening the government’s authority to revoke work permits in the event the program is being misused;
-A declaration that only English and French can be cited by employers as a job requirement;
-Placed a temporary moratorium on food-service businesses preventing new or pending TFW applications;
-Barring employers from hiring low-wage TFWs in regions where the unemployment rate is above six per cent;
- Requiring employers to cap the number of foreign workers they hire at 10 per cent by 2016.

Within 4 months of becoming PM, Trudeau removed the seasonal-industry regulation that capped the number of foreign workers working below a provincial median wage at 10 per cent of a company’s workforce, allowing companies to bring in unlimited numbers of temporary foreign workers to fill seasonal jobs.
By mid-2017, Trudeau had expanded the same TFW program that he earlier, while in Opposition, demanded be "scaled back."

Doesn't appear that you're all that well informed about the TFW program, does it?
Thanks. It's depressing how little people actually know about the program, other than they hate it.
My company has used it a few times to get skilled workers we were not able to find locally.
We were forced to pay more than we had actually planned on paying due to the government's labour market opinion. It took 3-4 months to go through the process, and we were never allowed to mistreat the foreign workers.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:23 PM

I know a guy. Nice guy,I used to work for. He is cow/ calf. Anyway he was going to hire foreign workers.
Well remember how years ago when everybody was still using horses. Every farm or ranch had bunk houses for men to live in. Well the fancy ones did and the others had tents.
Haha well my friend had a bunk house. Nice one with wood stove and electric light! Well before they let you bring in TFW apparently they come and inspect your facilities. Haha the inspector didn't think much of the bunk house and no running water,toilet.!!
Haha that ended my friends plans.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
Makes no sense. I pay cpp where is my $500? CPP is forced retirement saving so people won’t spend every nickel they make and retire with nothing saved. Less people allowed to get old age supplement !!

Technology in farming:
Pretty certain it is easier to train someone how to seed, work fields and combine now than say 20 years ago. Lots of monitoring systems I see now that takes the guess work out and mitigates the risk of screw ups. Autonomous steering was just and example of how less “skills” are required to say work a field. Pretty certain when farmers train their kids to seed they don’t just train them once and go. They check to see how they are doing . If they hired temporary workers to do grunt work they could always see which ones learn quickly more skilled jobs and then limit local skilled hires .

Training:
Any job requires training. I don’t think people started as supervisors they trained first then took over. But when oil prices are low and stay low and stockholders of big companies want to still see large profits higher ups need to do something. So the contracts they give out pay less and company that person works for wants his profits too. Big machine costs the same and all other things cost the same only variable thing can be salary. Say day wages of all people on site is $20000 and they need to cut it to $10000. They pay for 1 or 2 highly skilled guys and hire unskilled and pay crap then apply pressure to skilled guys to get same results as before. Then put pressure that if u screw up u will get fired and less work out there with oil prices low so lots of guys that will step in and take your place with skills for less.
But when prices high they can afford to have a skilled crew because they are making money hand over fist. As I said basic economy.
I'm not sure where you work or in what capacity. However I am fairly certain that you have no idea what it takes to run a farming operation or working in the oil patch. Although you do have the ingrained philosophy that corporations are very bad for wanting to show a profit at the end of the year, which can be very difficult if you don't have well trained employees
Old 07-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Old 07-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I'm not sure where you work or in what capacity. However I am fairly certain that you have no idea what it takes to run a farming operation or working in the oil patch. Although you do have the ingrained philosophy that corporations are very bad for wanting to show a profit at the end of the year, which can be very difficult if you don't have well trained employees
I know a bit or two about farming but like most large corporations are there to maximize profits and there is an expectation that executives do that. For oil patch the driving factor is the price of oil. When that crashes like recently to make similar profits they need to find efficiency or cut costs. Since equipment costs are pretty static most cost comes from downsizing staff and looking for lower cost alternatives which can include lower paid employees. I.e. like some companies do by outsourcing to India or China . Training costs also need to be factored in.
I believe the bigger the company the less worry about employees as most are just a body in a space. If they can get buy with fewer high paid talent supplemented with lower cost workers they will. Foreign workers can actually be highly skilled that accept a lot less in pay which is substantially more than they can make at home . You know the analogy of doctors being cab drivers in a new country.
Is anything I state above way out in left field?
Old 07-02-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I know a bit or two about farming but like most large corporations are there to maximize profits and there is an expectation that executives do that. For oil patch the driving factor is the price of oil. When that crashes like recently to make similar profits they need to find efficiency or cut costs. Since equipment costs are pretty static most cost comes from downsizing staff and looking for lower cost alternatives which can include lower paid employees. I.e. like some companies do by outsourcing to India or China . Training costs also need to be factored in.
I believe the bigger the company the less worry about employees as most are just a body in a space. If they can get buy with fewer high paid talent supplemented with lower cost workers they will. Foreign workers can actually be highly skilled that accept a lot less in pay which is substantially more than they can make at home . You know the analogy of doctors being cab drivers in a new country.
News flash, people start businesses to make money, not to be your social and financial safety net. If you are not happy somewhere move on or start your own company.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-02-2020, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Technology in farming:

Training:
The "seniors benefit" (or whatever it's called) is for people who are collecting OAS, plus more for those collecting GIS. Nothing whatsoever to do with CPP. You don't need to be collecting CPP to get either of the former benefits.

Go learn something.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
What Pikergolf said about starting your own business is right and I'm not messing with you either but a lot of self employed people dont do it for the money. They do it so they can do things their way. Per hour a lot of smart hard working people make less than their employees and take on a lot of risk.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
News flash, people start businesses to make money, not to be your social and financial safety net. If you are not happy somewhere move on or start your own company.
News flash you need to read all the posts to know what I am talking about in my 4th or 5th post. Your response makes no sense to points I am trying to make.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadji Ramjet View Post
The "seniors benefit" (or whatever it's called) is for people who are collecting OAS, plus more for those collecting GIS. Nothing whatsoever to do with CPP. You don't need to be collecting CPP to get either of the former benefits.

Go learn something.
Same for you read all posts before responding. I was responding to a post that a guy said he deserved free money from government as a senior because he paid CPP!!
Old 07-03-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
What you are failing to realize is that a good employee will save their wage multiple times over for the company. Doesn’t matter what size the company is. Talent and experience costs money. I wouldn’t hesitate to pay the highest wage ever if the guys are returning their wage in either saved expense or incremental income. Good workers are worth every penny they are paid in all occupations in all size companies.