Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
They have a great shop though and have some amazing gems for parts that I often need so I begrudgingly go there, be nice and polite in hopes they don’t make me feel too ashamed for being there in the first place...
Western Gun Parts has been a great supporter of shooters for many years. They will have parts you can't get anywhere else, but they have also had long standing issues with the crabby staff they employ. For whatever reason I have never personally experienced it, and I shop there a fair amount but there is no doubt the bad service exists and persists. There are so many challenges to being viable as a small storefront type business these days I am really surprised places still keep getting the friendly service part wrong. Reminds me of CX Shooting Supplies in Morinville, I would like to support local but the Mom and the guy that run this have to be two of the most standoffish, unfriendly people I ever met in retail. It is real work to get them talking, to get them to smile is not something I have been able to accomplish. They certainly don't conceive of the idea that it is their job to make their clients smile.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
During these times I miss WSS immensely. Here in Lethbridge we have no good options for fishing. Lethbridge needs a good fishing and hunting store that can handle more stock. Almost wondering how a fishin hole would do here. Although having a actual store front is just not feasible for small business now a days, i doubt that we will get a bass pro or cabelas sized store here.
This is the very reason why WSS ended up failing. Spread too far too thin, a brutal on-line catelogue/ordering, and that UFA took them over was there ultimate undoing.

If WSS would have stayed trued to what got them to be successful in the first place and incorporated a solid on-line ordering process to stay relevant they would likely still be around today.

Opening 2 stores in Edm and Cgy and in smaller populations like Lethbridge and the sort likely not the best business plan (no offence to Lethbridge or the sort).
Old 07-02-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
This is the very reason why WSS ended up failing. Spread too far too thin, a brutal on-line catelogue/ordering, and that UFA took them over was there ultimate undoing.

If WSS would have stayed trued to what got them to be successful in the first place and incorporated a solid on-line ordering process to stay relevant they would likely still be around today.

Opening 2 stores in Edm and Cgy and in smaller populations like Lethbridge and the sort likely not the best business plan (no offence to Lethbridge or the sort).
Lethbridge made them a TON of revenue. Far more than Kamloops, Winnipeg or the redundant Calgary/Edmonton stores. Saskatoon did the most.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Lethbridge made them a TON of revenue. Far more than Kamloops, Winnipeg or the redundant Calgary/Edmonton stores. Saskatoon did the most.
Based on what your opinion?
Old 07-02-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Based on what your opinion?
Instead of being a smart mouth maybe try looking at the Financial Statements on the UFA website. Would be nice if a guy did a little research on his own before implying someone else is full of crap.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Instead of being a smart mouth maybe try looking at the Financial Statements on the UFA website.
Hard to get good help these days eh
Old 07-02-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Wgp

I have never had anything but stellar service from Western Gun Parts but like most people I dont go there to pick up something available at Canadian Tire. Hard to find or obsolete parts are generally pricey and Irv has specialized in having them for over 40 years. that 84 year old the woman was protective is Irv the founder himself who is generally in the store each day. Amazing fellow and I dont know if it is total recall or photographic memory but if you walk in asking for a trigger spring for a Browning Bl22 he can probably tell you what bin in the back they are contained in. the daughter is probably the protective person trying to keep Irv safe from exposure so while trying to stay open they have to have covid restrictions in place to protect the vulnerable. Having worked retail I get the "less than friendly" after dealing with people who want one of those things that holds the ? all day long. they generally deal with gun smiths who know exactly what they want and often have a schematic or even a part number. I needed a charge handle for a Mag 10 a few years ago and they had it to me in 3 days. Earlier this year I needed a replacement wood stock and fore stock and the lady warned me that they didn't have matching wood but would let me know when a new shipment arrived with similar color. I week later I received perfectly matched stock and fore stock for a rare rifle impeccably packed and protected from mail damage. I think we are lucky to have WGP still operating. Attitude walking in very often dictates the reception.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I have never had anything but stellar service from Western Gun Parts but like most people I dont go there to pick up something available at Canadian Tire. Hard to find or obsolete parts are generally pricey and Irv has specialized in having them for over 40 years. that 84 year old the woman was protective is Irv the founder himself who is generally in the store each day. Amazing fellow and I dont know if it is total recall or photographic memory but if you walk in asking for a trigger spring for a Browning Bl22 he can probably tell you what bin in the back they are contained in. the daughter is probably the protective person trying to keep Irv safe from exposure so while trying to stay open they have to have covid restrictions in place to protect the vulnerable. Having worked retail I get the "less than friendly" after dealing with people who want one of those things that holds the ? all day long. they generally deal with gun smiths who know exactly what they want and often have a schematic or even a part number. I needed a charge handle for a Mag 10 a few years ago and they had it to me in 3 days. Earlier this year I needed a replacement wood stock and fore stock and the lady warned me that they didn't have matching wood but would let me know when a new shipment arrived with similar color. I week later I received perfectly matched stock and fore stock for a rare rifle impeccably packed and protected from mail damage. I think we are lucky to have WGP still operating. Attitude walking in very often dictates the reception.

Yes, good place for parts but, zero personality. I should have known to stand outside when there was no sign saying so? I'll still but the odd item there as I require but I really dont need the schoolteacher lecture when I'm there to spend money.

Ol Irv was in back anyways. As far as I know Covid virus cant fly 25 yards or through walls but I could be wrong.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post

I agree with everything you wrote. I find myself being overly polite and friendly just to make the experience decent. Don’t get me wrong. I love that place. It’s just there demeanour since I was old enough to drive and make the trek to WGP when I lived in McMurray (32 years) has been less than stellar I’d say around 26 out of 30 visits haven’t been what id call happy or pleasant. Lol....

Last edited by 1899b; 07-02-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:28 PM

Irv has a passion for firearms and parts but I suspect the other employees may consider it just a job so they may not be passionate about service. I would love to say I was bubbling over with personality for every customer I served but I know that would be a lie. Retail is often not easy and you serve everyone regardless of knowledge or lack of it. Some came in expecting us to fill in the knowledge they were lacking. By the third customer of the week asking for: "300 mag ammunition (or 270)" but wasn't sure if it was wsm winchester or savage but "he bought it a few years ago at our store so we could look it up if we needed to but it is a Ruger if that helps"
No excuses intended but personality is not always required in efficient service. Would be nice but not a requirement of the job.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:40 PM

f you are the only option in the whole country, yes you can probably get away with unfriendly customer service. If you are in a very competitive market, that is going to be a huge handicap. There is a reason Prophet River has prospered and Magnum went belly up.

I never dealt with you at Wholesale, I did deal with some guys that were great and others that weren't. I always went back to the guys that were good to deal with. IF there had been no one that was good to deal with, I would have quit going to that store. This has happened to many small businesses. To pass off friendly customer service as being somehow optional means you are really missing the boat. My advice, do not get into a one man customer facing business where there is any amount of competition.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:41 PM

I also have heard a great many stories of terrible service at WGP that makes me laugh that someone could botch customer service so poorly. It’s impressive a place stays open with such a track record, YET I personally have had nothing but excellent service when I call or show up.
I think sometimes the customer needs to look in the mirror but sometimes it’s gotta be WGP as you can’t have that many coincidences.
A shout out to RPS international in spruce grove too. Top notch.
P&D can be okay to good, but most of the time you feel like you’re talking to a brick wall. But when they’re one of the few local family run places I like to bring support. And their pricing on ammo and reloading components is typically very good and usually way better than Crapelas
Bashaw sports is excellent.
Prophet River in Lloydminster is tough to beat
Old 07-02-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Western Gun Parts has been a great supporter of shooters for many years. They will have parts you can't get anywhere else, but they have also had long standing issues with the crabby staff they employ. For whatever reason I have never personally experienced it, and I shop there a fair amount but there is no doubt the bad service exists and persists. There are so many challenges to being viable as a small storefront type business these days I am really surprised places still keep getting the friendly service part wrong. Reminds me of CX Shooting Supplies in Morinville, I would like to support local but the Mom and the guy that run this have to be two of the most standoffish, unfriendly people I ever met in retail. It is real work to get them talking, to get them to smile is not something I have been able to accomplish. They certainly don't conceive of the idea that it is their job to make their clients smile.
Haha whenever I go into WGP it reminds me of the soup nazi episode from Seinfeld. Walk in tell them what you need and step to the side lol.
To be fair to them they are set up to sell parts to gun shops and gunsmiths not necessarily the general public. When I go in, I do my research and know the name and model of the firearm I need a part for and any other info possible. They are not a place to go and browse or pester for a problem diagnosis.
While they are all business they do know their business better than anyone and have always been courteous to me . I have even managed to get a smile and a cheerful have nice day on some occasions.

Last edited by jungleboy; 07-02-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:57 PM

Never mind Wholesale, I still miss S.I.R. !!
Old 07-02-2020, 04:50 PM

Sorry, don’t miss them, they sucked in Edmonton
Old 07-02-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
Sorry, don’t miss them, they sucked in Edmonton

You have to admit they had some outrageous gun counter conversations that were great for a laugh, no?
Old 07-02-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Haha whenever I go into WGP it reminds me of the soup nazi episode from Seinfeld. Walk in tell them what you need and step to the side lol.
This is so bang on it's scary. " No parts for you. Get out."

I'll still use them when I need parts for older rifles but sheesh. Will your face crack if you smile lady?

I did make Diane at P&D smile once too which was pretty awesome.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
To be fair to them they are set up to sell parts to gun shops and gunsmiths not necessarily the general public. When I go in, I do my research and know the name and model of the firearm I need a part for and any other info possible. They are not a place to go and browse or pester for a problem diagnosis.
While they are all business they do know their business better than anyone and have always been courteous to me . I have even managed to get a smile and a cheerful have nice day on some occasions.
The soup nazi did have the best soup though! I’ve only made a few phone orders from WGP, I had no issues with the service
Old 07-02-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I did make Diane at P&D smile once too which was pretty awesome.
Pics or it didn’t happen!
Haha
Old 07-02-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Pics or it didn’t happen!
Haha

I was too afraid to take one.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Instead of being a smart mouth maybe try looking at the Financial Statements on the UFA website. Would be nice if a guy did a little research on his own before implying someone else is full of crap.
How I’m am being a smart mouth or implying anyone is full of it? I just asked the guy a question. You having a rough day?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:50 PM

I miss them, especially in Grande Prairie. They were the only shop in town with a decent selection of fishing gear. They also had employees that were willing to do more than just chat with their friends like in Barton's Big Country. I did everything but throw money in the air and dance a jig at Barton's and never once received good service. WSS on the other hand was always happy to help me out, order what I needed or just answer a few question. Over the years, WSS saw $15K+ from me. Barton's never got a cent, despite my best efforts to "support the little guy". I heard they got new management a year or two ago and gave them another shot back in April. No dice. After being ignored for 15 minutes and standing at the counter with items in my hand ready to pay, all 5 employees spent there time dealing with 2 customers who they were BS'ing with about farming. Apparently they only serve friends and family there. My items ($500 worth + a possible order for stuff adding up to around $500 more) went back on the shelf I went out the door.

I never got that poor treatment at WSS. So yes, I do miss WSS. Very much.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I do. I miss Hoyts more.
During my last year in college, I remember holding my first CZ American Model there back in 2002 price tag....$389.99.

Holding that drove me to get my PAL and was the first gun I ever bought.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:26 AM

I wish fishin holes website was easier to browse. It is not user friendly at all. Order from them when I find what I am lookng for. Sadly its hard to best the ease of use of Cabelas and amazon.

Wss failed for the same as Sears did. Not keeping up with online shopping
Old 07-03-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
I wish fishin holes website was easier to browse. It is not user friendly at all. Order from them when I find what I am lookng for. Sadly its hard to best the ease of use of Cabelas and amazon.

Wss failed for the same as Sears did. Not keeping up with online shopping
Agreed. TFH could upgrade their system. I suspect majority of their sales are at the store.