Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2020, 06:08 PM

I could enjoy pickled eggs every night. With chunks of onion and garlic of course. I have a few big jars I use for pickled eggs and pickled fish but the lids are starting to rust. I'm not sure if I can find plastic lids. Or if I have to start collecting different jars.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I could enjoy pickled eggs every night. With chunks of onion and garlic of course. I have a few big jars I use for pickled eggs and pickled fish but the lids are starting to rust. I'm not sure if I can find plastic lids. Or if I have to start collecting different jars.

Put a piece of Saran Wrap under the lid. Definately don’t do that with home canning etc. But for eggs in the fridge it should be fine.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:35 PM

I'll definitely do that. These are nice big jars. I'd hate to have to throw them out.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:54 PM

Have made a couple batches since seeing this thread. Gotta say, about the best eggs I've had. Super simple and easy. I used empty 2 litre pickle jars from No Frills, hold 2 dozen extra large eggs perfectly. Could probably fit 28 in if you desire.
With 24 eggs takes approx. 3 cups of brine. Brine consists of 2/3 vinegar and 1/3 water. 2 heaping teaspoons of salt, 2 of sugar, 2 of pickling spice, and 1 of cayenne pepper. Bring to boil, let cool, and dump over eggs. Wait 3-4 weeks and enjoy.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:40 PM

Here's some interesting pickled egg recipes from the National Center for Home Food Preservation. https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html

I've made the Dilled pickled eggs and they were a treat. I think I'm going to try the sweet and sour egg recipe.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-02-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I'll definitely do that. These are nice big jars. I'd hate to have to throw them out.
Just a thought for using your jars without the lids. You could try... with eggs in the jar pour your brine into the jars up to the narrower top and let cool. Then pour in 1/2 inch hot paraffin wax to seal until ready to eat. You could cover the top of the jar with a piece of fabric held by a string or elastic.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-02-2020, 02:00 PM

One more egg post. I am amazed how long you can supposedly store an egg using different methods. They have to be farm fresh eggs for these methods to work as store bought eggs are already conditioned.
The lime method can keep an egg edible for 9 months. wow. News to me even after having 100 laying hens for years back on the farm.

https://preparednessmama.com/five-wa...d...%20More%20
Old 07-02-2020, 02:00 PM

Default Fermented

I am not a fan of lots of vinegar so I tried fermenting them. Dill, garlic, onion and jalapeño. Put it in a salt brine for a few days and they turn out real good.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:25 PM

Was reading up a bit on the preserving part of eggs and found this interesting tid bit. "The Best Part of About Summer Is the Abundance of Fresh Eggs. Grow Your Own or Get Them From a Friend, These Seven Ways to Preserve Eggs Will Make Sure They Are Always on Hand". Got me to thinkin' How far apart and how deep do ya plant em? How often ya gotta water em? How long does it take before they are ready? When you grow your own

Last edited by barbless; 07-02-2020 at 02:34 PM.