Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 08:53 AM

I have a trip line I can lend someone, it uses a 12 gauge dummy round, you could put it around the vehicle, or attached it somewhere, might just need to think outside of the box, to chase these people from your vehicle, before they cut.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How does a thief even crawl under some of those lower vehicles to remove the converter? If I saw someone jack my vehicle up, and crawl under it, I know exactly what I would do.
Tough to change the oil without ramps ????

Grizz
Old 12-13-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
the government has put in a few new requirments now before you can sell scrap know you have to give a lot more personal info or they will not take it this might help some
An ad on Facebook recently looking for scrap cat converters. They claim they need solid Id before buying them.

Grizz
Old 12-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Let the jack down on them?
Hydraulic jacks have been known to leak down a bit. If the jack was to settle just enough that they became trapped under the vehicle, long enough for the police to arrive, it wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster_777 View Post
My truck (not a diesel) got hit at the Heritage LRT Station in Calgary 2 days ago. 2 others parked in same lot (Toyota Trucks) were also victims. This was during daylight hours.

Mothertruckers cost me $1850 to get this repaired.
Next door neighbor parked there for years. In the last year she has had her late 90's Honda Civic broken into 7 times.

Got so bad she just buses there now.
Twice she came out to find her hood open and 2 guys standing in front. They work in large groups with spotters. You confront them they come out of the woodwork and mess you up.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:03 AM

Let the jack down. Kick a field goal and then drive off? A difficult situation to be in but at least now we know what to do! Might deter other thief’s hearing about that one on the news
Old 12-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlonski View Post
Let the jack down. Kick a field goal and then drive off? A difficult situation to be in but at least now we know what to do! Might deter other thief’s hearing about that one on the news
The legal system does not seem to deter these criminals, the main concern seems to be to protect them. Slipping and and accidentally giving them a boot n the groin, or breaking their fingers by accidentally stepping on them, would likely be a lot more effective, without burdening the police and the court system.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Hydraulic jacks have been known to leak down a bit. If the jack was to settle just enough that they became trapped under the vehicle, long enough for the police to arrive, it wouldn't be a bad thing.
You have to think outside the box. The jack has to come down hard and then that just saved the taxpayers a pile of money.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
You have to think outside the box. The jack has to come down hard and then that just saved the taxpayers a pile of money.
Thieves and drug addicts are a hurry, and may not set the jack up properly. But you are correct, a dead scumbag can't commit more crimes, and costs the taxpayers less n the long run.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:33 AM

There is a running add on KIJIJI by some travelling buyers.

""Wanted: Deleted Dpf and Catalytic Converters for Cash""
Old 12-13-2019, 09:43 AM

I hate to say it but knowing the catch and release situation I would kick until the 4th point of contact turned to ground beef. These bastards cut them off ambulances and firetrucks too.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-13-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
so I went out to see the damages. So they have the tools to removed the screws on on end and hacked off the other ...
Looks like they spent the time to remove the bolts. Most get cut with a sawzall.

If the scrap guys didn't have a market for them, they would not be stealing them.

Scrap guys need to take a photo of the guy selling them and a pic of his drivers or ID if it matches the face. But I'm sure that a violation of privacy laws.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:19 AM

Pretty much EVERY part on a vehicle has a serial number. The Manufacturers have the reference for the serial numbers to the vehicles sold.

(That is how Criminals running a chop shop get convicted by the way!)

It is easy peasy to set up a sting, check the Serial #on the Cat against the VIN, and if the VIN has a reported stolen Cat, do the arrest.

Why do I always have to do the hard thinking???

Drewski
Old 12-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
How does a thief even crawl under some of those lower vehicles to remove the converter? If I saw someone jack my vehicle up, and crawl under it, I know exactly what I would do.
ive been told they jack the one side up or even strap over the top and pull them half way over and cut them out with a chop saw. Might take them 2 minutes and they can fetch up to $300 for the right ones.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Looks like they spent the time to remove the bolts. Most get cut with a sawzall.

If the scrap guys didn't have a market for them, they would not be stealing them.

Scrap guys need to take a photo of the guy selling them and a pic of his drivers or ID if it matches the face. But I'm sure that a violation of privacy laws.
They are not selling them to scrap yards, they are selling them to extraction companies. And they can make a lot of money. I sold the cats out of my last two diesels after deleting them. They want them to extract the precious metals from cat and dpf
Old 12-13-2019, 10:25 AM

And trust me, unless the cops witness these crimes they don’t care. I bet some would even turn there head if they saw it happening. To much paperwork compared to what will actually happen to the thief
Old 12-13-2019, 12:06 PM

Just going to strait pipe $450 .. when they tell me the replacement cost , I was like .
Old 12-13-2019, 12:11 PM

I had a thief steal (cut, vandalize) a whack of SOW cable from some electrical equipment I have, he sold it at the metal recyclers yard in the same town, under his own name. So not too smart. Maybe the recycler requires ID for loads, that would be smart. Anyway, 5 years later he is still going through the court system, at a snails pace.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Pretty much EVERY part on a vehicle has a serial number. The Manufacturers have the reference for the serial numbers to the vehicles sold.

(That is how Criminals running a chop shop get convicted by the way!)

It is easy peasy to set up a sting, check the Serial #on the Cat against the VIN, and if the VIN has a reported stolen Cat, do the arrest.

Why do I always have to do the hard thinking???

Drewski
we had a specialized piece of equipment stolen along with some other things a few years ago . the thief took it to the shop where we had been getting it serviced to try sell it . the service tech recognized it and called me . i called eps , they responded, she said a tenant in her basement left it behind when they left . end of story . this was a $25 000 piece . cats are worth what , $1500 ? i would like to see sting operations set up but unless you catch them in the act , good luck . even when caught in the act , its still an uphill battle to get a conviction .
Old 12-13-2019, 12:47 PM

I have a 15 F350, so far so good. Fingers crossed I dont come out one morning to a very loud angry truck.
Tullfan
Old 12-13-2019, 01:09 PM

Thumbs down

I stayed in Whitecourt night before last, was wondering if my truck was going to be there when I woke up. I had to park way around the side, no lights or cameras at all. Took as much as I could carry into the room, left nothing visible.

I don't mind the thought of buying another vehicle from insurance money, but riding a bus just is not on my to do list.

I would have been scouring buy and sells in a panic.

I see the buyers are now advertising pickup in Lloydminster. Watch for a rash of thefts here now. Great.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-13-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
we had a specialized piece of equipment stolen along with some other things a few years ago . the thief took it to the shop where we had been getting it serviced to try sell it . the service tech recognized it and called me . i called eps , they responded, she said a tenant in her basement left it behind when they left . end of story . this was a $25 000 piece . cats are worth what , $1500 ? i would like to see sting operations set up but unless you catch them in the act , good luck . even when caught in the act , its still an uphill battle to get a conviction .
My buddy traded his dirtbike for a quad from some guy off Kijiji in Westlock. Goes to register it a few days later, turns out it was a stolen quad. He has the guy's first and last name, address, phone number, so he reports him to the RCMP, they go to the guy's house, he doesn't answer the door, and that was it. Never did anything more except take the quad and give it back to the fellow it was stolen from.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
My buddy traded his dirtbike for a quad from some guy off Kijiji in Westlock. Goes to register it a few days later, turns out it was a stolen quad. He has the guy's first and last name, address, phone number, so he reports him to the RCMP, they go to the guy's house, he doesn't answer the door, and that was it. Never did anything more except take the quad and give it back to the fellow it was stolen from.
You should have him call me.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You should have him call me.
Unfortunately, this happened probably two years ago now. Not sure there'd be any point. I'll ask him about it next time I chat with him.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
They are not selling them to scrap yards, they are selling them to extraction companies. And they can make a lot of money. I sold the cats out of my last two diesels after deleting them. They want them to extract the precious metals from cat and dpf
I did not know that, good info.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:49 PM

ANNNND now (I'm sure by sheer co-incidence ) I'm getting ads for scrap metal recyclers on my Facebook feed.

Thanks big brother.......

Oops, confused this with the other catalytic converter thread. They're getting like power engineering threads today...
Old 12-13-2019, 03:24 PM

The thieves are just marginalized and don’t feel welcome. It is Donald Trump and Stephen Harpers fault for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 12-13-2019, 03:40 PM

Thinking outside of the box....

My uncle used to have live wires hooked up to the wheels of his truck so if a dog took a pee on the tires they would get a good enough shock they would never do it again. He had a toggle switch that he could turn on or off. Just turn it on when parked.
My suggestion is hook some live wires up to the catalytic converters similar to the shock a tazer would give. Even wires on the converters that if cut sound off an alarm that breaks eardrums.

Another method could be to have a dye pack under the vehicle that discharges if the converters are removed.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-13-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Thinking outside of the box....

My uncle used to have live wires hooked up to the wheels of his truck so if a dog took a pee on the tires they would get a good enough shock they would never do it again. He had a toggle switch that he could turn on or off. Just turn it on when parked.
My suggestion is hook some live wires up to the catalytic converters similar to the shock a tazer would give. Even wires on the converters that if cut sound off an alarm that breaks eardrums.

Another method could be to have a dye pack under the vehicle that discharges if the converters are removed.
Claymore. You would just hear a bang, walk out to find a large fan shaped sprayed red driveway and a couple shoes 10-15 feet away.

If you video taped it and put it on the internet, this catalytic converter thievery would drop by 90% overnight.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Claymore. You would just hear a bang, walk out to find a large fan shaped sprayed red driveway and a couple shoes 10-15 feet away.

If you video taped it and put it on the internet, this catalytic converter thievery would drop by 90% overnight.
My man! Brother from another mother!!