Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 12:08 AM

Default Against Seperation from Canada

United States of Alberta I like so many Albertans am sick and tired of Carbon Tax, Banning guns. Protecting the stupid who make bad decisions and a whole list of stupid ideas this Country's " Leaders" are jamming down our throats.

How many would like to be part of the United States. I am for it. No border to cross, value of the US Dollar would make it sweet to vacation in BC with another 30% buying power. Even purchase of real estate in Canada would have a huge advantage. Now Trudeau try and get something from one end of the Country to the other. They can just detour through the territories . You know you are frustrated if you lived here your whole life and your mind goes to places like this. What do you think.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:16 AM

Well, they say nothing good ever happens after midnight.
But, I have to say I agree.
It would be the quickest, easiest solution to our problems.
The overall best solution might be independence, but joining the USA would probably be simpler.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:19 AM

Dewey that makes 2 of us. Lol
Old 12-08-2019, 12:22 AM

I agree 100%.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:52 AM

LOL. Really? Is this a serious question? You think we can just take our ball go home? What about our share of the National debt, Canadian banks in AB, billions in federal infrastructure, 4 of the largest military bases in Canada, thousands of military personnel and DND employees, thousands of federal employees across the province. Never mind the fact that the overwhelming majority of Albertans are against separation from Canada let alone joining the US.

You want to walk into an emergency room with a broken leg and walk out with a $5,000 hospital bill?

Canadians who've never experienced the gong show of the rest of the world compared to how good we have it at home are living in a dream world. yeah, we get the shaft from Ottawa but that's no reason to leave. Either way, opinions vary, that's mine and the fact that this will never happen makes the point moot. The chances of WEXIT succeeding or Alberta joining the US are about as likely as a man being able to eat his own head.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:07 AM

Default I would like to move to Texas.

I could fix a lot of broken legs with the taxes I would save.
At least I wouldn’t sit in the hospital for five days with a broken arm waiting for an opening in the ER like my son did. Our wonderful healthcare system has cost me family members because of how slow the process is to get diagnosed also, so it’s really not that great.
I’m in for joining the states but majority rules so it would never happen.
To many pansies in the flower garden.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:28 AM

Nope not at all.

I am all for western independence with our relatively small population and large land base we will do nicely.

Opening up our labor market to 300 million others?

Think about it.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:58 AM
Banned

I’m not keen on joining the US but that would be the easiest route to leaving the confederation. It’s waaaay too soon to seriously consider separation because we’re just not prepared for it, not even close. I think that we ought to be moving towards it with opting out of CPP (heads in Ottawa would explode) and create an APP, Provincial Police Force and take over immigration enforcement.......things like that. Once we have our ducks in a row THEN we can consider our options.

Right now we have a PM that wants to phase us out and Montreal and Toronto deciding our future. I don’t think there’s a great future in that. For now, I’m satisfied with the pressure of the WEXIT movement and Kenny’s Sabre rattling to force Justin to make changes. If not, I’m open to moving towards leaving the Confederation.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:56 AM
Banned

If it's so bad, why don't you just LEAVE?
Old 12-08-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
24 family members are here.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Banned

We’ve had it so good for so long in Canada that people are blind to it.
Who says we’d end up like the affluent states?
Could just as likely end up like backwoods Arkansas...Alberta’s economy points more in that direction.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Could just as likely end up like backwoods Arkansas...Alberta’s economy points more in that direction.
And we are just as likely to get there under Trudeau, in the very near future. I am not all that supportive of separation, but I see no solution to our problems with the current government.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:00 AM

If you would have asked me 10years ago if I would support joining the US the answer would be no. But after having a few friends move south hearing the true ins and outs of the country not the propaganda and the direction I have see Canada head in It might not be a bad idea

It would really come down to the agreement that could be reached with the US to know is it was worth while or not
Old 12-08-2019, 08:39 AM

The comment why don't you leave bugs me, and I will tell you why. My grandparents where in Alberta before it was Alberta. I have great grandparents that where in Canada before it was Canada. Both sides of my wives family have been in Alberta for more that 100 years. So I think maybe we will stick around and try to change it back to a country that we all can be proud of.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
The comment why don't you leave bugs me, and I will tell you why. My grandparents where in Alberta before it was Alberta. I have great grandparents that where in Canada before it was Canada. Both sides of my wives family have been in Alberta for more that 100 years. So I think maybe we will stick around and try to change it back to a country that we all can be proud of.
well said
Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Why don’t you just LEAVE me one place in Canada that reflects my beliefs and values?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
actually our natural resources base would probably point us more in the direction of the current Wyoming , Colorado , new mexico , and Texas . all of which are doing very well due to the development of their natural resources . if you recall , encana just changed their name and moved to colorado .
Old 12-08-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Nope not at all.

I am all for western independence with our relatively small population and large land base we will do nicely.

Opening up our labor market to 300 million others?

Think about it.
i have been working in colorado and know many others that are now working in nm and texas . there are not hoards of unemployed americans waiting at the border to rush into alberta to take our jobs , as a matter of fact , the opposite is true .
Old 12-08-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail503 View Post
LOL. Really? Is this a serious question? You think we can just take our ball go home? What about our share of the National debt, Canadian banks in AB, billions in federal infrastructure, 4 of the largest military bases in Canada, thousands of military personnel and DND employees, thousands of federal employees across the province. Never mind the fact that the overwhelming majority of Albertans are against separation from Canada let alone joining the US.

You want to walk into an emergency room with a broken leg and walk out with a $5,000 hospital bill?

Canadians who've never experienced the gong show of the rest of the world compared to how good we have it at home are living in a dream world. yeah, we get the shaft from Ottawa but that's no reason to leave. Either way, opinions vary, that's mine and the fact that this will never happen makes the point moot. The chances of WEXIT succeeding or Alberta joining the US are about as likely as a man being able to eat his own head.
health insurance is available in the us , so yes , i would like to go to an emergency room with a broken leg and walk out with a $5000 bill . it would beat going to an emergence y room here , waiting 12 hours , then getting sent home with a bucket full of pain killers to numb the pain for three days till someone can repair the injury .
our health care system is available to all citizens , but it is not run very efficiently and until you know of someone who has to wait days , weeks and even years for help you may not reallize how cumbersome it is .
Old 12-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Give this a watch. We could really use someone like her in the drivers seat.

Don't know how bad things are in Alberta? Watch this & help me fight back

What we need is that UN pandering idiot removed from office. He, like his father, is anti-Alberta. He is enjoying every minute of killing our energy sector under the guise of UN commitments and the climate hoax.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:59 AM

https://calgaryherald.com/business/e...ory-from-texas

The grass is not always greener !
Old 12-08-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:

1. We’ve already paid far more than our share of the debt.
2. I’ve had a kid hospitalized in the US when I was working there. We were paying $400 a month for insurance for family of 5, and the quality and speed of care was outstanding. My wife got to stay in a room with child, and they took such good care of them wife was reluctant to leave. Lol. Concierge service and all.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post

What we need is that UN pandering idiot removed from office. He, like his father, is anti-Alberta. He is enjoying every minute of killing our energy sector under the guise of UN commitments and the climate hoax.
She should have been running for PM not Sheer
Old 12-08-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post

this is great and she has been a very good speaker for years

Please start another thread with,this the first post

I must say,she was shaking when speaking like I,have never seen her do that

WOW. I would marry her just to carry her luggage

Cement Bench
Old 12-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Arrow . . . This 👇

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post

https://calgaryherald.com/business/e...ory-from-texas

The grass is not always greener !

Well worth repeating 👆

Selkirk
Old 12-08-2019, 11:04 AM

She has got to be the best MLA in the house. I like her a lot.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:

I sincerely don't mean my comments to sound rude to other contributors on a personal level ..... so apologies if this comes off as rude ... it not my intent .........

I am really surprised so many people think we have it so bad here, that we should leave confederation and join the US.

I don't like the Carbon Tax, nor do I like Trudeau, but these are, quite frankly, minor issues compared to having you go broke if you get sick as a US citizen.

What happens when your insurance coverage reaches it's lifetime max, if you even have any coverage to begin with, runs out and you have to re-mortgage your home and leverage all the assets you have worked for all your life BEFORE you get free health care for many types of critical care illness treatments.

Do most people even understand how this actually works in the US? Do they understand that you are not afforded governmental coverage if you have money in the bank or equity in your home or other assets you have to sell off before you are subsidized for many types of critical care?

This one issue alone should deter all of us from even thinking that's a good idea let alone other issues/detractors living as a part of the US would bring to us.

Hey the dollar is stronger .......... cool ......... do you think the minute you join the US, the new government will trade you one golden US dollar for every Canadian dollar in your piggy bank? ....... and now you are rich with buying power?

Ah yeah real estate .......... yup, overnight do you think your home and assets grow in value by 30%? .......... really?

I find so many people caught up in the "romantic notion" of "independence or joining the US" and I have yet to hear one single reasonable argument, that isn't based on superficial ignorance.

I have lived, been to school, worked, raised 2 kids here and in the US - I can assure you, from first hand experience, it's not the land of milk and honey, nor are those streets paved with gold either.

Canada is still the greatest country in the world.

Its our country, Its our home and we should all be proud of it.

If the US is so awesome, and so much better, you are welcome to move .......... nobody is stopping you ......... why are you still here?

Last edited by EZM; 12-08-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Canada is still the greatest country in the world.

Its our country, Its our home and we should all be proud of it.

If the US is so awesome, and so much better, you are welcome to move .......... nobody is stopping you ......... why are you still here?
^^^This^^^
Old 12-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Do you honestly think that everything you have now will be yours once we are annexed from the states?

That house you have paid off, how many times over do you want to pay for it again?

They won't just put up fences between BC and Sask, Alberta will be come a state and likely we will be looking for homes.

'Your land' is not "YOUR LAND" now. You pay a massive amount of money just o have the priveledge of paying taxes on it until you sell your right to sit to the next person who pays taxes forever. Think I am wrong? Don't pay taxes for 2 years and see what happens. Unless your house is on wheels, you are out on the street.

The only people that would not lose imo are the apartment dwellers.

Did you know that 27 states pay property tax yearly on every vehicle, approximately $423 each. I have 6 trucks and a car, plus loader, 2 little tractors. I don't want to pay another $350 per month tax on vehicles I own plus what I would assume another mortgage to pay for a house I built and paid for already.

It's not all rosy.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Any Albertan who has worked hard for what the east has will strongly disagree with you I assure you of this